Author Topic: Surgery Feb 1st  (Read 11214 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Surgery Feb 1st
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2006, 06:58:05 pm »
Great news Scott!! :)  Hang tough!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 08:02:58 am »
Balance & Dizziness are fine, I think most of that went after stage 1 surgery

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2006, 04:54:02 pm »
Yeah Scottie......I am so happy its over for you. Sounds like you are doing so much better this time. I hope you know how very much I admire you. I'm not sure how I would deal with having to go through surgery again. Great to hear from you and will watch for anything further that you feel willing to share with us.        Big Hugz 2 U, Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2006, 08:09:18 am »
I am doing much better than last time and thanks.

I guess this is the gist of my second experience.

Wed 2/1 5:30am: Arrive at Providence Hospital, Go to Pre-Op, Freak out a bit, change into the nice tight stockings, cry out of the one eye that still produces tears ... talk to family until about 7 when two nurses wheel my bed into the O.R. I remember commenting to the nurses that "I don't remember being in the O.R. last time" and they laughed and I was unconscious within seconds.

Wed 2/1 3pm? I mildly remember hearing my Dr's, my wife and my Mom asking me to smile, wrinkle my nose, blah, blah, blah and telling me that things went well.

Wed 2/1 8pm? I came to a little bit in ICU ... I was begging for water or ice and everytime they came me a spec of either, I felt like throwing up. I never did, but the bucket was certainly by my head. I also remember them standing me up and getting me in a chair for a few minutes and I had a tube sticking out my stomach from the fat graft.

Thurs 2/2 6am? A little more with it. Dr's visiting tell me that the facial function was good right after surgery but that the swelling would cause temporary weakness so we'd have to wait and see what happened. Gold weight possible which I did not want. It was becoming harder to close my eye tight. They left a spec of tumor in to preserve the facial nerve which I told them to do. They don't think it will ever cause a problem, but if it does, Gamma, not surgery, would knock it out.

Thurs 2/2 Noon? Out of ICU to the regular floor, sharing rooms with a few annoying roommates. The second of which had 17 family members in the room at one time. 9 kids. I got no rest at all and was extrememly uncomfortable. Getting IV's out and starting to eat now.

Fri 2/3 After working with PT I'm up and walking the halls 10-15 time knowing that that's what Dr's look for before letting you out. I'm also making sure I'm going to the bathroom as much as possible cause I know how they watch that. That night I go sit in the waiting room with my family to get out of the zoo that is my room.

Sat 2/4 After some AM visits from about 10 Dr's & Nurses, they determine that I can go home today if I want. I clean up, eat, get the last of my IV's out and rip off the tight leg socks while waiting for my family to arrive around 11. I go home and crash for about 48 hours after having not slept in days. The car ride home was rough, I hade quite a headache when I got home.

Bandages came off on 2/8, stitches will come out 2/15

If you have any specific questions, ask away, the internet is all of have to help kill time now a days.

Thanks,
Scott

Pembo

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2006, 10:08:59 am »
Scott, I'm glad your surgery and immediate recovery went so well. I'm amazed at how fast you were up and around. How is your facial function now? Get your rest! I'm so happy that things are much better than last time.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2006, 04:02:32 pm »
Scott,

Great to hear that things seem to go well. We'll keep our fingers crossed that you make a 100% recovery
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

becknell

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2006, 05:15:56 pm »
Sure glad to hear that things went better with your surgery this time, Scott.  :D Hope you'll make a quick recovery and be back to normal very soon. Jennifer

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2006, 07:30:18 pm »
Scott: Glad to hear things went so well, take good care of yourself. Here's to a great recovery! Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

lmurray69

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2006, 10:02:43 pm »
scott so glad that it all went so well . wish you the best !!!hang in there..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

cookiesecond

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2006, 06:11:46 pm »
Scott,
I am so glad things are going good and I pray for a speedy recovery.
Keep us posted,
Lynn

luv2teachsped

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2006, 07:08:07 pm »
Scott: 
     Sounds like you're off towards a good recovery!  Keep positive!!
luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07