Author Topic: Save the Date for Chicago ANA Convention August 14-16 2009  (Read 151383 times)

joebloggs

Re: Save the Date for Chicago ANA Convention August 14-16 2009
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2009, 06:53:32 pm »
I would love to come... I will start saving pennies... I'll be back in the UK by then so would be about 400 quid for airfares so I too would have to share a hotel room me thinks... I am a non-smoker with SSD!  Maybe Captain Deb and I could share!

I will start saving... put me on the maybe list!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »
I agree with Jan. My mom and I stayed at The Drake for 2 weeks and although it was nice it was a bit stuffy. The last time we went on our Chicago Christmas shopping trip we stayed at The Talbot which we LOVED and so did my kids. It is still very nice but you feel like you can leave your room in casual clothes and not feel out of place! Great location too.
Angie

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2009, 07:29:32 pm »
How old is the "said adopted stepchild"?  Are we talking old enough to entertain him/herself in a large, strange city?  Or are we talking "entertain me constantly, please"?

Actually, Jan, I was referring to myself and whether it would be OK to drop in on anything. I'd love to talk my husband into a weekend in Chicago. To explain -- I've called myself "adopted stepchild" here before because I didn't have AN but hemifacial spasm, and the group has always been so welcoming. (Same for CROOKEDSMILE, btw.)

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the answer. It's good for everyone to know more about the venue.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2009, 07:40:03 pm »
You know, come to think of it, I might be better off in a Nickelodeon type hotel too!  I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either, but I do usually have a plastic straw!  The bendy kind - I guess that makes me frou-frou and stuffy!   :D

Angie, do they have good Christmas gifts in Chicago?  I think I'd rather go South at that time of year - unless you're one of those people that does her Christmas shopping in July!  I'd be trudging through the snow on Christmas Eve! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2009, 07:53:16 pm »
Hey Sara,

If you want to go to sessions or workshops, you can register for a single day's events, if you don't want to register for the whole symposium.

https://secure.baxinternet.com/~anausa/registration_form.shtml

Other than that, I assume you can drop by and hang out in the lobby or bar and see who you meet.  ;)

Lori, as far as fancy pants hotel behavior, the truly rich and famous do whatever they want, including requesting (or should I say demanding) a bendy straw if they feel like it. You just have to convince them that you don't have a silver spoon in your mouth because you don't like silver spoons.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2009, 07:33:48 am »
Sara,
Too funny. I guess we are adopted step children! Never thought of it like that. I would also love to come but don't think I can make it this year. Would love to meet everyone! Chicago is such a lovely place. My favorite place in the whole world to shop because they have every store imaginable that little 'ol Arkansas doesn't have. Lori......it is so beautiful at Christmas time there. The lights, decorations, store displays are amazing, even the weather. The whole setting in December in Chicago is storybook and it keeps me coming back. Please post pictures for those of you that get to attend. (and do some shopping for me while you're there) I'll pm you my address so you will know where to ship it all to! lol.
Angie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2009, 09:52:13 am »
OMG, how hilarious, Sara  :D

I thought it was a little strange that you were referring to "said adopted stepchild" but I figured I'd just go with it.  You never know what family situations are out there and I'm sure there are lots of second marriages where a spouse isn't too crazy about a stepchild; so I thought that was the path we were going down  ::)  As Gilda Radner used to say on SNL "never mind". 

Anyway, as Steve said, there is a daily registration fee for the symposium that would probably work out well for you.  And you could always join us for drinks or tea - I for one HAVE to do the tea  ;D

Like Angie, I've been to both The Drake and The Talbott, but if I had a vote it would be The Talbott hands down.  As she kind of mentioned, The Talbott is the type of place where you can walk through the lobby in a t-shirt and jeans and no one looks at you like you have 3 heads.  If you do this at The Drake, someone is likely to either faint, gasp loudly, give you a dirty look - or maybe even all 3 (not in that particular order). 

Truth be told I was a little disappointed to see that the symposium is at The Drake.  It's a wonderful place and all, but it is very stuffy and the dress code is a little more than I like to take on unless I'm working.  I really don't like to adhere to a dress code in my leisure time, plus I'm sure I'll need to supplement my wardrobe prior to August since currently parts of it wouldn't fit into The Drake's standards. 

I'm sure the ANA had their reasons for picking The Drake though.  IMO it's a little more centrally located than The Talbott and it has a wonderful view of the lake.  I also think it's a larger hotel.   The rooms are very nice and the service and staff there are great.  It's probably tailored to the "doctor set" more than your "average citizen" - but then again, there will be a large "doctor set" in attendance.   

Angie -

you forgot to mention the horse-drawn carriages in the winter in Chicago.  It's part of the whole lights, decorations, store displays, weather magic.  I try to get the kids down there every year around the holidays.   Even if you don't shop it definitely gets you in the Christmas Spirit.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
You mean I have to buy a new wardrobe for this function too?  My goodness.  The price tag just keeps going up!  Although, really, I think it would be fun to make people faint and gasp!

Angie, you might wind up with some weird gifts if we go shopping for you!  Unless you give us a list.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2009, 11:28:02 am »
You mean I have to buy a new wardrobe for this function too? 

Probably not, unless you're used to Daisy Dukes and tube tops LOL

But my dilemma is, there are two basic categories in my current wardrobe - work clothes and "home" clothes.  Sadly, as a single mom without much of a social life I'm missing that entire category in-between.  Saves me lots of money though  ;D

Since I don't care to wear my work clothes to the symposium, that leaves my home clothes.  My home clothes - like most other people's I'd assume - are basically jeans, gym shoes, t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc.  In the summer the jeans give way to shorts and the gym shoes give way to flip-flops or bare feet.   I'm not certain the doorman at The Drake would even let me in - he'd probably tell me I was at the wrong hotel  :P  It's not like I'm going to break out the pearls, but I do need something more appropriate.  Hell, I might even wear makeup!   :o

Jan

Hey, it just occurred to me that I tell you people WAY too much about my personal life  ::) LOL

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2009, 11:35:42 am »
I can say with complete certainty that the doorman, as well as everyone else in a two mile radius would not only gasp and faint at seeing me in Daisy Dukes and a tube top, they would also die from laughing so hard they stopped breathing.  Since I don't want to accidently kill off the people making our food for the weekend, I guess I'll try to find something else to wear.

And if you think you have a problem with work clothes vs. home clothes - I wore scrubs to work and I wear sweats and jeans at home.  I'm not sure whatever comes in between those two would be any better.

Don't worry about telling us too much, as least when we walk into the hotel we'll be able to recognize you by the make up and the pearls.

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2009, 11:44:23 am »
OMG!  I am rolling on the floor laughing!  I might wear the pearls just for you  :D

I can say with complete certainty that the doorman, as well as everyone else in a two mile radius would not only gasp and faint at seeing me in Daisy Dukes and a tube top, they would also die from laughing so hard they stopped breathing. 

Don't worry about this happening.  Surely someone will know how to administer CPR.  If one of the docs can't handle it, I'm certified.

We'll only need to make sure that the bartenders survive; the chefs aren't as important  :D

Cheryl R

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:02 am »
The last times symposium had many in very causal clothes.       That is my whole way of life.         I did have a dress for the banquet but don't even own "a little black dress"      I'm wearing the same one I wore last time.    LOL!          Plus to a wedding in 2 weeks from now.        Had to go buy some dress shoes Fri as no way would I try high heels.                    Our granddaughter is going to be a flower girl so exciting time.             Watch out I am the grandma with pictures when it comes symposium time.
                                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2009, 11:55:50 am »
Cheryl -

I'm expecting to see grandchildren pictures, so you'd better bring lots  ;D

I don't own a little black dress either - IMO little black dresses are boring and overrated.  The last dress I purchased for the banquet at the meeting I attended for work was green.  I always have to be different  ::)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to get all dolled up for the symposium - although I might wear the pearls just to impress Lori  ;) - but I need to get something that is casual but acceptable.  Sadly, pajama pants just won't work there  :P

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2009, 04:38:14 pm »
What is wrong with pearls??  I LOVE pearls - I have them on right now, in fact, with my Land's End T-shirt!!  OK, I will admit that I wore them to church this morning, but I wear them a LOT with a lot of different outfits.  I guess I think pearls will make everything better - whether they really go with the outfit or not!  I am not a "Bree" (more of a Lynette), but like to sport my pearls - I actually have them on in my picture with my T & blue hat!!!
SO, IF I am there, I'm sure I might have on pearls most of the time!! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2009, 01:34:25 pm »
Confirmed.... I'm going to the symposium :D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"