Author Topic: 2 weeks post-op, bored, ready to go back to work  (Read 6512 times)

pswift00

2 weeks post-op, bored, ready to go back to work
« on: September 03, 2008, 08:58:33 am »
Hi folks, I had translab on my 3.0+ cm AN on 8/15.  The surgery ran on past twelve hours, so the surgeons made the decision to do a revision the following Tuesday to get the rest of the tumor out.  God, anesthesia is hell.  The good news is, they got the entire tumor.  The bad news is, they think it was a facial schwanoma b/c of the way it was completely involved with the facial nerve.  So I lost the facial nerve, but am scheduled to have a nerve graft in the next few weeks.  In all, I feel great.  I'm not having any pain or balance issues at all.  My left eye bugs me a bit, but hopefully that will get better in time.  Really, I'm just totally bored sitting around the house all day and have half a mind to go back to work for a few hours a day just so I don't burn up all of my leave.  Anywho, scheduled to see the neurosurgeon tomorrow and will hopefully get these stitches out.  Can't wait to show everyone on the softball team my *****in' new scar.

Take care.

Patti

Re: 2 weeks post-op, bored, ready to go back to work
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:04:53 am »
wow-i am so glad to hear that you feel so great!  don't be surprised if that energy level comes and goes.  i hear it's the norm.  patti 
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:59:58 am »
ps -

sounds like you've been through the wringer, but your recovery is very encouraging.

If you do return to work, remember to take things slow since fatigue can be an issue and it sneaks up on you.  I'd suggest going back part-time to begin with if you can - it definitely helped me.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:37:14 am »
I'll bet you'll have the most impressive scar of all!   ;)

I know how you feel about going nuts sitting home.  I didn't work before my surgery, but I was always out doing something, so right after the surgery when I wasn't driving yet was miserable!  Apparently, I was making everyone else miserable too, because my husband called one of my friends from out of town and asked her to come visit for a few days to cheer me up.  She did, and did I ever make that poor woman drive me all over creation!  I didn't care where we went or what we did, but I had such cabin fever by that point, I didn't care.  I think we both needed naps when we got back to my house!

If you are able to go back to work a few hours a day, I'm sure that would help your mood a bit, but, like the others said, take it slow.  The first few times you overdo it and get really fatigued, it feels like you've hit a brick wall.  It doesn't take long to figure out that you need to pace yourself so you can avoid that.

I hope you are able to get your stitches out!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 02:14:22 pm »
Wow!! it sounds like you are doing great!!  Just make sure you don't overdo things too much.  I hope your reoover continues at this wonderful and amazing pace.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 05:02:42 pm »
pswift00:

I was just as impatient after surgery so I can relate, even if I'm retired and don't have a job to get back to.  I still lead an active life and probably recovered quickly partly because I had things I still wanted to do.  We all recover differently and while I can't advise you to push yourself too hard (fatigue can set in quickly) I will suggest you 'listen to your body' and do whatever you honestly feel you can do.  If work isn't an option, find something else - but keep active, if only in 'small' ways.  This worked for me.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:06:59 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 08:50:22 am »
I agree with everyone else about the fatigue - it still sneaks up on me once in awhile even now!  That being said, I went back to work on a very limited basis 10 days post surgery.  In fairness, I do work from home, so driving wasn't an issue.  It was great to get back to doing some sort of productive work, though, even if it was only a couple of hours a day.  Any chance you can work from home?  That would make it much easier, and also make it easier to cope with unexpected fatigue attacks!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

pswift00

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:54:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice, folks.  Got my stitches out today, and got the all-clear from my surgeon to go back to work for a few hours a day 'in the interests of my mental health' as he put it.  The fatigue is certainly a concern, but I am young, just turned 31 two days ago, and I don't do much besides sit at a desk all day anyway.  But I'll be sure to take it slow.  Still waiting to get a date scheduled for my nerve graft surgery.  Starting to wonder just how disorganized this other surgeon is.  I'll be sure to put it in the hands of my ENT next week when I see him if I still don't hear anything by then

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:58:55 pm »
ps -

glad your stitches are out (woo-hoo!!) and you've been given the okay to return to work  :)

I'm older than you, but I also have a desk job and I found that working part-time for a few weeks before returning full-time worked well for me.  The main issue I had with the part-time work was just the fatigue that came from doing more than sitting around the house and napping.

Good luck and don't forget to put your nerve graft surgery on the AN Calendar when you get a date.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 03:36:13 pm »
Belated Happy Birthday to you!  Hope you had a good one!

I'm glad your doctor agrees that your mental health is worth preserving!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 04:33:28 pm »
Hi,
I'm six weeks post-op (yay!) and just yesterday returned part-time to work.  I was exhausted yesterday, better today.  As long as you know there will be ups and downs work may be the best place for you.  I sympathize with your boredom.  Good luck, keep us informed.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 06:38:54 pm »
You're obviously doing great. You'll have good days and bad  enjoy the good ones and nap during the bad ones.   I understandi the boredom too, I am anxious to get on with my life and get better.  You're younger than me too and I'm sure have lots of energy but try not to overdo it. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 01:45:38 pm »
Hi,
Take it easy. Relax and heal. I do understand, I think part of my depression was the fact that I was so bored. Don't rush it though, my body is telling me I did too much last week. Stabbing pains in my head, last night I slept 12 hours.
First week back to work was fantastic but very draining. I know I will get stronger everyday just need to remind myself that I just had BRAIN SURGERY!. I love my job!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

elderbirds

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 07:25:01 pm »
PS
WHERE DID YOU END UP HAVING YOUR SURGERY?  I KNOW YOU WERE LOOKING AT GEORGETOWN AND HOPKINS.
Hope

pswift00

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 07:30:58 am »
I went with Georgetown.