Author Topic: A day at teh beach  (Read 4695 times)

wendysig

A day at teh beach
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:11:10 pm »
Hi all,
I thought I'd share my experience of spending a day at the beach.  I hope you all get a couple of laughs out of it!  I had promised my younger daughter we would go to the beach before the end of the summer and things have been going pretty well so off we went yesterday.  I had not really considered until just before we left how challenging walking on the sand would be and much to everyone's amusement,  I brought my cane with me as I would for any outing --  I can only say that it's a good thing I did.  Walking on the sand was even more of a challenge than I thought it would be and I almost fell on many an unsuspecting sunbather, without my trusty cane I'm sure I would have.  I thought I was doing pretty well but my kids told me I was staggering like I was totally drunk -- and that was with the support of the cane about 1/3 of which went into the sand.  I'm sure I probably dusted afew prople with sand at lleast a little bit. 

We (my husband, daughters and their friends)  went down to the water, this time without myt cane, in case I decided I wanted to get wet.  I'll just say this -- if my husband and kids hadn't been right next to me and caught hold of me and I them, I would have squished a few people.  Walking in the sand without my cane or holding onto someone for support was impossible, but we all had a good laugh since I didn't fall and  no one got hurt!   At first,  I wasn't going to really go in  just watch the kids and make sure the undertow didn't pull them out too far.  Of course, I couldn't resist just putting my feet in the water.  Even at the shoreline I could feel how strong the undercurrent was and that dashed my hopes of actually going very far but I did go in about calf deep, thinking this would be safe enough.  There were lots of little kids playing just at the water's edge and close to where I was standing which was only a few feet into the water.  A little boy and his sister were playing and kind of riding the very end of the waves just a couple of feet from where I was standing.  I was very aware of them and their distance from me because even where I was standing the water was pretty rough, pushiing me around a little  and making me feel off balance in general.   A fairly large and strong wave hit me, causing me to lose my balance and literally knocked me off my feet and, there was no possibility of regaining my balance. When I fell,  I just barely missed falling on the little boy but luckily, between the water and the softness of the sand I didnt get hurt either -- just embarrassed.   Several people asked if I was okay and helped me up, I can't imagine what they thought of me since the wave was not strong enough to knock anyone else over.  Oh well, hopefully some people got a laugh out of it anyway.  The kids said it was pretty comical to see.  The little boy I almost fell on and his sister gave me wide berth for the rest of the day.  Every time they saw me they moved as far away from me as they oould, while apparently staying where they'd been told to, ha ha!  I stayed out the of water after that because I'm supposed to be keeping my incision dry and got it soaked when I fell.  It doesn't seem any the worse for it though.  All in all, it was a really good day and it felt good to be doing something I really enjoy -- I mean going to the beach, not falling down, haha!!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

Re: A day at teh beach
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:57:33 pm »
Wendy~
Sounds like a good time was had by all -- at least you were out there and I bet your family won't ever forget it!!
Way to GO!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:06:12 pm »
Wendy,
     That was just too funny......I probably would have done the same thing.....All my friends are at the beach for the weekend, we do this every year at this time but I chose to stay home.  I thought the whole weekend would have been too much.  Glad to hear that you're OK and you were able to have a great day with your family.......Stay dry!!!
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:37:07 pm »
Wendy - I know I told you this already  when we talked, but you are just such a trooper!  The fact that you were at the beach a month after surgery doesn't surprise me (knowing you) but it does impress me!!  I think you'll be back on the high-wire in no time... :D ;D

Thanks for the laughs today!!

Have a wonderful week!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 08:19:55 pm »
Wendy,

Don't feel bad. I also had a terrible problem with balance. Actually, there is no way I could be going to the beach one month after the surgery. I missed all my son's soccer games in the fall because I thought I would be bouncing around more that the soccer ball itself. I can't believe how bodies improve,though. It has been slightly over a year since my surgery and I walk on the sand now. I spent a good portion of August doing that. My next step is the stairs. I still look down when I walk down the stairs. So, your next summer will be entirely different: you will be running on the beach!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:39:35 am »
Hi Sue, K, Debbi and Eve,
I hope you are all well and am glad you got a chuckle or two from reading about my day at the beach.   It reallly was a good day except for the part where I fell and almost squished that little boy, and in retrospect, that too was pretty funny!  We are making the most of the last week of the summer before school starts (September 2) and are heading up to Mystic, CT on Wednesday afternoon.  I'm hoping to spend a couple of hours on the beach there too (what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment) which should be an entirely different experience.  The beach I went to Saturday was in NJ (Point Pleasant)  and was the Atlantic Ocean and the  beach in CT is Long Island Sound -- I'll still have to contend with the sand but now I know what to expect, the water should be a lot calmer so I'm sure I'll stick my feet in too.  Mystic is a sleepy New England town with not much to do except eat great seafood, great homemade ice cream at the Drawbridge Ice Cream Parlor in downtown Mystic and go on boat  rides.    Actually, if we do go on any boat rides that should be interesting too since most of the boats are large sailboats -- I'm not sure I'm quite that brave, but I'll see how I feel.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

FlyersFan68

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:09:01 pm »
Funny story. I'm still laughing when you said wide berth. I was down the shore a few weeks ago. I love going there and it makes me forget about everything. My last visit was interesting. I was ordering a pizza and I noticed a person working there having what seemed to be a mid fossa incision. I really couldn't help but wondering. When you take notice of these things you feel like your meeting a new friend or something. Of course it was busy as heck so I got my pizza and left and never asked or said anything. For a moment I didn't feel like the oddball. My biggest hurdle early on was getting past the odds of getting an acoustic neuroma. It used to be said 1 in 100,000 but when I heard it in a different manner it really sunk in. It was said 10 per every million instead of 1 in 100,000. Even if they say between 10-20 per million new cases every year I still shake my head in disbelief that I was one. When I mentioned this to my wife she said "there are thousands of people laying in the hospital wondering the same thing". So True!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 12:31:23 pm »
Wendy -

I'm so glad you survived your beach outing!  The first time is the hardest!  I went to Pensacola, FL  5 weeks after my surgery.  My husband had to go to some work thing and he didn't want to leave me and the kids home alone for a week, so he brought us with him.  My kids are like little fish - so of course the first thing we had to do was hit the beach.  It took a LONG time to trudge through the sand just to make it to the water!  But, it was excellent PT!   ;)  By the time we went on our normal summer vacation to the beach, I didn't quite look like I had just had a 6 pack of beer for breakfast!

This past summer was no problem.  My biggest issues are positioning myself in my beach chair so I can hear my family (can't wear the BAHA swimming!) and since I can't take my sunglasses off - I wind up with a lovely raccoon mask tan every year.  Small price to pay for a trip to the beach though!

Have fun in Mystic.  My sister is there right now trying to squeeze the last bit of fun into summer!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:28:55 am »
Hi Lori and Flyersfan -
I'm glad you enjoyed my post about my day at the beach.  It felt to great to to something "normal" if it fits into our plans for the next week or so I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  Going to the beach again in Mystic should be fun but the beaches there are different and really a little more dangerous in another way -- so I won't do much more than stick my feet in because  the waterthere  ils full of mossy, slippery rocks.  Give me the sand and surf on the Jersey Shore, Riis Park in Queens  or on Long Island any day! 

Hi Lori -- Wow, you had to deal with the sand and little kids at the same time!  That is truly amazing!!!   At least mine are big enough that I just watched them to make sure they didn't drown or get pulled out to sea - you know how kids think they are invincable.  If your sister is still in Mystic and she loves seafood, tell her to try The Skippers Dock in Stonington.  It's only a 20 minute drive and the food is great, plus if she gets to sit on the dock the view is bearutiful at sunset (or at any time really, but sunset is our favorite).  I know what you mean about hearing at the beach.  It didn't bother me that much, but when I mentioned it to Rob he told me he'd been talking to me and I just didn't hear him, so he gave up.  As Jan said once, being deaf in one hear can have its advantages!

Flyersfan - I know how you must have felt when you saw that person who looked like they had the middle fossa incision.  I met a couple in my neighborhood at our community pool and we started talking and really clicked when I found out he has a BAHA.  It turned out he had a degenerative ear disease, not an AN but we both felt the connection anyway.  i understand what you mean about the odds of anyone getting an AN -  pretty slim.  I didn't go through the "Why me.." stage too much because right after I thought "Why me"  I also thought "Why not me?  It had to happen to someone." 

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:43:29 am »
hey wendy,

Ok, good excuse for cane at beach... tell everyone it's a new kind of devining rod and you are seeking out Captn Jack Sparrow's hidden treasure! :) That should bring a smile to the kids at the beach!

Oh, do I commend you for walking the water's edge, sans cane. I tried the same on my wedding day to the bloke... I insisted on walking over 50 yds on the wet grass (in 2" heels, mind you) to meet my groom and the wedding party and not to use my cane (my fashion statement, as I lovingly call it).  NOT an easy task by any means, just like you.  I'm thrilled you were able to enjoy the beach... not squish anyone under 4' in height.. and hopefully you got sand up your "backside"..... it kills me... I live 20 mins from the beach, grew up 1 street away from it.. and haven't been in years.  Shame on me... thrilled for you! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:04:00 am »
Hi Phyl,
I loved your excuse for using a cane on the beach -- I may use it when we go to Mystic tomorrow!   I was very happy not to squish anyone too and feel confident enough to try again.  You truly are gutsy, I don't think I would even try waling in 2 inch heels let alone across wet grass and sand on my wedding day -- and without a cane!  I lived near the beach for years when I lived in Rockaway (Queens, NY) (my apartmetn building was abotu 40 feet off the boardwalk)  and never went during the summer but loved it the rest of the year.  Now that I'm not so close to it anymore I only go in the summer.  By the way, I just saw your wedding pics -- they are great!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NL

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 02:16:23 pm »
Hi Wendy,

Loved the beach story - thanks for sharing! That brought back memories of going "down the shore" back in 2000 with my family who lives in northern NJ. They go every summer, but since I don't get back east very often, they made sure my last trip included a few days down the shore at, of all places, Point Pleaseant! (I was in born in California, but all family roots go back to NJ & NY.)

I also love reading your stories since you're just ahead of me on the AN road, giving me a hint as to what kind of adventures could lie ahead! I may get brave and try the beach over Labor Day weekend - at least I won't look out of place if I need to lay down and take a nap!

FlyersFan - I also saw a young guy working at the Gap that had a well-healed but still very visible middle fossa scar. I didn't say anything either, but just thought it was a good sign that he had SO much energy after an AN surgery! (But then again, he was about 23 years old!)

And Wendy - have a great time in Mystic!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:08 pm »
Wendy~
Your story made me think of another story involving SAND - it wasn't at the beach (no beach in Austin) but it was after I had surgery & was trying to play golf.  I had played golf in high school and then I played in a little women's league on Monday nights in Austin after we moved there.  I had always had this thing about "raking" as little as possible so I would jump into the trap right by my ball.  One Monday night, I hit into the sand - I guess it was my 1st time in the sand since my AN - and without even thinking i jumped right in!  Two things were wrong with that senario 1) it was a pretty "steep" pit in that the sides were a lot higher than the actual trap and 2) I HAD NO BALANCE!!  I fell and rolled all in the sand BIG TIME - everyone came running over & was very concerned but all I could do was laugh hysterically.  I'm sure all those women (whom I really didn't know that well) thought that I was the biggest NUT!!  Needless to say, I had a MAJOR raking job to do after that!!!  LOL!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »
AAAARRRRR  Miss Wendywench!!!!

You have been given the title of "Ship's Luau Location Scout" over on the Good Morning Thread in honor of your wonderous beach outing skills so soon after surgery.  You got mucho piratittude, ye wench!! Have a blast in Mystic.  Whilst you are there, could you please ask the Mystic for a headache cure? or a general AN cure? Heck, just invite him to the luau, so we can all get our fortunes read.

Keep recoverin'!!!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 10:19:28 pm »
Hi Nancy, K and Capt. Deb -

Nancy, I'm glad you enjoyed my beach experience story.  I thought I'd share it so because I think it's just as important to share the good times as it is our troubles.  To me, going to the beach was another small  victory along the road to recovery with the added benefit of being funny, so I thought it would give whoever read it a couple of good chuckles. 

K - I loved your golf story!!  I can just picture what you must have looked like when you jumped down into that sand trap.  I'm sure your fellow golfers really did think you were crazy!!!  It was a very funny story.  I've heard the seashore at Corpus Christi is absolutely gorgeous but have never been there myself, have you?

Capt. Deb - Thanks for the title!!  I've lurked around the Good Morning thread but never joined in.  I've read some very funny stuff there.  I'll have to see if I can find a mystic in Mystic to deal with your headache and AN questions but I don't  know...I may have to settle for pizza at Mystic Pizze (yes, for those of you who have seen the movie and weren't sure there really is such a place.  Their pizza is really good and at least gets rid of the headache you get from being hungry.  As for having our fortunes read I thought I'd try my hand at that myself...The future seems a little murky so I'm not sure of exactly when, but I think I see better times ahead for all of us.

Wendy -- Scouting a good location for a luau
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!