Author Topic: I'm back, unfortunately.....  (Read 10540 times)

tsl

Re: I'm back, unfortunately.....
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 01:51:41 pm »
Hi Ellen,
Just checking in with you.  I really am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope that Dr. Noren gets back to you soon with good news.
Take care,
Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 03:28:20 pm »
Ellen:

I'm among many waiting to learn if your doctor still believes you only have scar tissue and that the AN isn't re-growing.  My prayers and hopes for a 'dead' AN are with you and I trust you'll let us know the 'verdict' when you do. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 12:55:13 am »
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and well wishes!  I STILL have not heard from Dr. Noren.  Even if it has turned to scar tissue, there seems to be one area that is growing.  Hopefully he'll get back to me soon.  In the meantime, I am going to schedule a consultation with another neurologist for a second opinion.

Yes, that toilet was too funny to not photograph.   :)

I'll post once I have news!

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

Kathleen5306

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 04:58:06 pm »
Ellen

What is the size for your most recent MRI?  Does it measure the same as the previous MRI, so therefore no growth?  Just curious.

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Tumbleweed

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 10:09:14 pm »
Good luck, Ellen, and try not to get too upset before you get a professional opinion on your followup MRI. Really, it's the size that matters. I remember reading one Japanese research report that concluded that darkening of the AN on an MRI doesn't seem to be a predictor of tumor death (although that study seemed flawed in some ways). But my point is you might be doing just fine. As long as the tumor doesn't continue to grow, you're okay. And an increase in size might only be due to swelling and be transitory. Hang in there. And please do let us all know what your doctor says.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

fbarbera

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 01:36:41 pm »
Keep in mind that dead scar tissue and an untreated tumor appear identical on an MRI scan.  They are both bright white.  As Tumbleweed notes, that is why doctors rely on the size of the mass to determine if treatment has been successful -- as it is 97% of the time or so. 

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Dr. Noren said there has been no change in the size of the tumor, and that the white is scar tissue, so all is good not to worry. 

Given the fact that I have had a resurgence of minor symptoms and my almost perfect hearing has gone down 10dB in the upper registers since January, I scheduled a second opinion.

So, I had a consultation with a different neurologist from a different hospital yesterday. 

The area that seems to me to be growing also concerned him.  He is going to do a volumetric assessment but also wants to talk to a radiologist to see if there is some other test that can be done.  Viability study?  Do any of you know of another test that can be done?

He said he'd get back to me in a week or two.

Thank you all for your concern!

Ellen
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.

sgerrard

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 09:02:48 pm »
Hi Ellen,

I'll take Dr. Noren's answer. :)

There was a discussion recently about how to do an MRI that would help distinguish scar tissue from regrowth. Here is one of the posts:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7131.msg74338#msg74338

I don't know if that would help; I think that case was a surgery one. Other than that, I don't know if there are other tests, besides waiting a while and doing another MRI.

Thanks for posting back, anyway. Hope it turns out well.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 01:06:23 am »
Given the fact that I have had a resurgence of minor symptoms and my almost perfect hearing has gone down 10dB in the upper registers since January, I scheduled a second opinion.

Ellen, was your recent audiogram taken at the same facility and by the same audiologist as the previous one? If not, the 10 dB of diminished response might be simply due to a lack of consistent test conditions. Audiogram data is measured and recorded in 5dB increments. Microphonic headphone cables or noise from an HVAC system, for example, on the most recent test could easily cause a 10dB "loss" at high frequencies. If your ear drum also had a backup of air pressure (from, say, flying or having hay fever just before the test), that could also easily give worse results.

Just something to think about, before you make any firm conclusions...

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 05:42:35 pm »
Ellen,

I'm sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier!  I can't even imagine the stresses this must be putting on you - to think you were done, and now worrying again.  I add my voice to sending you all positive thoughts and hope you can get to the bottom of this soon!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

mk

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 09:06:07 am »

Helen,

I have been warned by my doctors (both radiologist and ENT) that hearing can go gradually down over the course of months or years after GK. This is due to long term damage to the nerve/reduced blood flow. So diminished hearing by itself is not necessarily a sign that the AN is growing.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 11:02:01 am »
I got a call from the doctor and, after consulting with a radiologist, they believe that the tumor is just changing shape.  They size of the tumor does not appear to have changed, but they still have to complete the volumetric study.  Beyond that, there are no other tests they can do.  The viability study he refered to, he discovered, is only for malignant tumors.  They have no data for ANs so far for comparison.

The change in shape would account for the symptoms, as it is pressing on different areas.

Yes, the audiogram was in the same facility, same equipment, same audiologist.

Hi Katie!

I'll post the result of the volumetric study once I get it!  Thanks for your support!

Ellen

Gamma Knife 9/22/06.

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »
Just wondering if anyone knows how Ellen is doing? I don't see any posts from her since 2008. My last MRI is very similar to her 2-yr MRI, so I hope this turned out to be just normal scarring and nothing more.
-jb
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

novagirl

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 10:04:52 am »
JB - please keep us posted. Waiting to discuss the MRI results is one of the most stressful experiences imaginable. Just curious: did you get a radiologist report? What did the radiologist report say in comparing the scans? I try to always get a written report before I go to see my doctor, that way I also know what questions to ask. Do you still have follow-ups with Dr. Gangon or is someone different following you at GT?
Right AN 10 x 10 x 7 mm - dx 7/28/09; w&w for three years
CK at Stanford October 2012 - Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys
Oct'12: 15 x 14 x 10 mm
Oct'14: 12 x 6 x 5 mm

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 04:25:35 pm »
I wasn't able to get the full report yet, but saw a couple of the measurements - 1.5 mm larger in one dimension, 2 mm smaller in another...  Nothing conclusive but I'm seeing my doc tomorrow, so I'll get the low-down then. I live in NC and see a local doc for my follow-up. (I think Dr. Gagnon left GT?)  I posted on CK forum and Dr. Medbery says my scan appears pretty normal. Still a bit anxious though as I've had sporadic flare-up of some symptoms in the past few months.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:33:47 pm by jb »
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009