Author Topic: I'm back, unfortunately.....  (Read 10543 times)

ellenvig

• My AN
I'm back, unfortunately.....
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:08:33 am »
I just had my 2-year post-GK MRI this morning.  At my 6-month and 1 year, there was lots of black.  Black is good.  Black = dead.  Today's scan NO BLACK.  I mean AT ALL!

I posted the pictures on my site:

http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

I'll definitely choose radiation again over surgery, but I don't know if I want GK again.  I chose it becasuse of its accuracy but also because my children were so young that I couldn't handle going through a fractionated treatment.  My hearing is still almost perfect and my facial nerves are fine, but it took a few months for the nerve damage from the screw sites to heal.

Now that my children are older, I need to go back into research mode and figure out what's the right choice for me. 

I'm just so bummed....

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: I'm back, unfortunately.....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:31:37 am »
Ellen,
  Sorry to hear about your latest MRI results.  I would wonder about the inconsistency of the results.  Necrosis and then no necrosis.  Was the most recent MRI on the same type of MRI machine? Is it worth redoing the MRI?   Has it ever been observed before that an AN exhibiting necrosis can "recover"?  What did your doctor say about that?
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:48:45 am »
I was the same facility all 4 times.  I'm still waiting to hear from my doctor.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:49:35 am »
Ellen,
I've seen reports where the dying/dead tumor begins to enhance (turn white) again on the MRI.  I'm not sure why a dead tumor would enhance, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.  I'm not trying to diagnose one way or the other, just saying the situation may not be what it appears to us laymen.  I see you have a very experienced doc, so I'm sure he'll figure it out.  I hope you get to speak to him soon.

Good luck to you and thanks for posting the pics.
JB
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:01:07 pm »
I got an email back from the doctor that it may be scar tissue.  He said scar tissue has its own blood supply which is why it shows as white.  He'll receive the CD tomorrow and let me know. 

Thanks,

Ellen
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.

mk

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:22:13 pm »
Ellen,

This may not seem as alarming as you think. In the medical literature (which I have read tons of), there is frequent mention of "transient" darkening, described as darkening in the first 6 - 12 months, while re-appearing white afterwards. My doctors mentioned this possibility as well.
By itself, this is not a problem. The important thing is to make sure that there is no increase in size. As long as you have control of the growth, you are probably fine. You may actually have good control, with no darkening at all. You didn't mention what your measurements were, I am sure you wil get the report. Just by looking at your images, it didn't seem that there is any major change, but of course your doctors will investigate that.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:33:29 pm »
Ellen,
I hope all will be well once you speak to the doctor.  Try not to worry until you know you have something to worry about.  I'll be sending black thoughts to your white blob from here in Ohio.   ;D
Marci
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:56:02 pm by MAlegant »
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

windy

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:49:09 pm »
Ellen,

I bet your white areas in the tumor are in the stage that Marianna has found through studying literature.  I bet you are in good shape.  This is my sincere hope for you!

I noticed you stated it took you a couple of months to get over the pin sites.  I fear I may be headed that way.  My pin sites continue to hurt and I still feel numb on one side of my head.  My GK facility stated it was not normal, but I have seen others who had a problem for a while.

I wish you the best in regard to your tumor!  Please let us know what you find out.

* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 02:03:25 pm »
Hi Ellen,

will be curious to see what Noren says to you as well... hang in there, I have a feeling its nothing to worry about. Continued wellness wishes and hugs to the kids!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tsl

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:17 am »
Hi Ellen,
We met at the first brunch I went to at Maxwell's.  Just wanted to let you know that I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for good news from your doctor.
Take care,
Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:11:15 am »
I am so happy to see Ellen post again. Her web site has wonderful pictures of the hidden toilet in her room at the hospital.  :D

I bet $10 the MRI result is fine; I think it is quite common for dead tumors to fill back in, and show up white again. Hope we hear soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 08:55:49 am »
Ellen -

I'm praying the others are right and your results are nothing to worry about.

Please let us know what the doctor says.

BTW, hidden toilet, who knew?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 09:11:38 am »
Jan,
Could the hidden toilet be a new fad for redoing master bathrooms??? I thought it was brilliant.
M
(sorry for brief hijack)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

okiesandy

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 11:38:07 am »
For about a year mine showed black center. Now it is all white. Neuro-surgeon and radiation oncologist both say normal. I was surprised the black was gone.
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Sefra22

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 04:54:23 pm »
I hope everything turns out all right for you Ellen. I am curious to learn what you hear from the doctor.
By the way, I had the "hidden toilet" too! I thought it was really cool. Maybe were had the same room.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009