Author Topic: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...  (Read 60910 times)

wendysig

Re: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:04 pm »
Cheri,
My doc said two days before surgery was okay.  I noticed Lori said the night before was okay too.  Two days before give the color more time to set though.  I just colored my hair for the first time since my surgery on July 25 and although I had lots of gray roots, the color really didn't fade too much.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2008, 08:57:07 pm »
I would have colored my hair on the operating table if I could have.  I did it about a week before and it STILL wasn't good enough. I got it cut as well and told the stylist to " make it a cut that would look good from a hospital bed".  She thought that was pretty funny and I have to say in retrospect that while in the hospital I didn't care at all about what I looked like.   (My husband said I looked beautiful but I think he was suffering from sleep deprivation.)
 ;D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2008, 08:06:21 am »
Cheri,

I'm assuming the "special shampoo" you're referring to is pHisohex. I had my hair coloring done about a week or so prior to the three day pHisohex regimen and it did just fine. I was afraid that the pHisohex would make my hair awfully dry, but it wasn't a problem. I'm now keeping the remaining pHisohex next to my kitchen sink -- I figured it would work well as an antibacterial for washing up during food prep. I do know someone who continued to use the pHisohex as a shampoo long after the AN surgery == seems a bit harsh to me for long-term use on hair.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

lori67

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2008, 08:58:28 am »
Cheri,

I would probably do the coloring before the special shampoo.  I'm sure a few days won't make that big a difference!  Although I love Marci's idea - maybe we can ask the surgeons to just do the color for us while we're still asleep!  Really, what's another half hour?

Michelle,

Actually, I don't know why I chose the 7-12.  I guess because that's the one my doctors all recommended.  My AN surgeon suggested it, and he's gone off the Duke now, so I have another one now.  He also suggested it and so did the two doctors doing their fellowship at the office.  It also seems to have good results and doesn't seem to be such a bad surgery.  I'll have to let you know about that!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2008, 02:34:23 pm »
Donnalynn~
What song do I get on Tuesday when I have my little surgery???

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2008, 02:58:13 pm »
Good luck Lori, I want to hear all about it! Strength be with you! You will do great.
K good luck - heal eyelid heal! You will be great as well!

I am in a bit of a quandry... it is time to do something about my eye.... I am leaning towards a trassoraphy (sp) but could go to a internal weight not sure hmmmmmmmm any advice guys?
Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2008, 03:06:18 pm »
Michelle, you probably already know what I am going to advise. Go for the internal weight!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2008, 03:27:16 pm »
Michelle~
I had the tars???? at first and then after 7 years I had the weight put in -- I am DEFINITELY a proponent for a weight - whether it be external or internal.  I am sure that I will feel even more strongly about it when a go for a few months without one!!!  LOL!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2008, 04:05:40 pm »
Donnalynn -

Thank you!  I just hope the "Somewhere over the Rainbow" wasn't chosen because I'm short!  I am definitely taller than the munchkins!!   ;D

Kay, I am trying to think of something witty to say about a song chosen for you... but I'm at a loss.... ???  I'll think of something, I just hope Donnalynn will have enough time to pick up the sheet music for it!

Michelle, my only advice is that at least "eyelid weight" is easier to spell, so it would be easier to tell people about!  I have never had one, so I don't really have an opinion about them one way or another.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2008, 07:39:44 pm »
Donnalynn:  I use to sing that song at Notre Dame Elementary School in New Hyde Park, NY (Long Island), and so I sing it tonight.
Brought back memories as a child.   Thank you...

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:44:43 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2008, 07:43:29 pm »
WOW!!!!Do I feel special or what???  Just having my eye weight removed for a few months to let the "pocket" that it slipped into heal.  But it is a new doc & he is doing it at a surgery center with an IV & major drugs!!!  I'm scheduled to have it Tuesday morning.  I went for the pre-op work today and the nurse actually had firgured I had had an AN (funny sentence had x 2 & an x 2) - she used to work for an ENT here that has done some AN surgeries and eye weights!!

Thanks for the song!!

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2008, 08:25:14 pm »
I've played the flute since I was 11 years old! Still do except my ombrature is a little off since the surgery and my hands are a little slower!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2008, 08:31:31 pm »
Hi K:    My oculoplastic surgeon thought there wasn't a 0.8 Gram platinum chain put in my lid ( by Dr. Byrne).  When he did the surgery ( local anesthesia)  to put in a 1.6 Gram platinum weight he saw the 0.8 Gram chain, removed it & put in his 1.6 Gram platinum weight,  all on the same day.
His placement of the weight is perfect.  You're in good hands with an oculoplastic surgeon.

I'm now looking into surgery to be able to contain my tears ( i.e. lower lid lift by ear cartilage or mouth palate ( I don't want to do this one), or stitch outer right eyelids, so I won't have to put lubricant in so often, maybe even stop using my night eye bubble !

So my friend, always good thoughts,   Nancy

ps:  Hey Capt. Deb, I have the same problem with my piano, still   play on...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:33:22 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2008, 06:11:22 am »
The docs prescribed this special shampoo to use on my hair and shoulders three days prior to surgery.  Think it will be OK to color in between that?  I think I'll call Laurie tomorrow as a precaution.  I'd hate to dye it then find out it could cause problems.   :-\

Cheri

I was given a bottle of surgical wash that I was to use the night before surgery and then again the morning of
surgery ...in the instructions it said I was suppose to scrub whole body paying particular attention to
surgical site... then had a caution ... DO NOT USE ON FACE OR IN HAIR!!!  :o ... I kept the bottle
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2008, 08:25:38 pm »
Oh Boy, I love playing music!  My old music partner is this guy: http://www.beansmusic.com/ and I recorded with him on the album "Bluenose" which is available on the website.  He is quite a pirate. I have that effect on people. I have played with a harpist before, some New Agey Jazz stuff, but most of my music is kind of islandy Jimmy Buffettesque and kind of "just tell me what key you're in......"

la la la laaaaaalaalaal  la laaa laaa laaaa

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW