Author Topic: Holisitc Treatment  (Read 20836 times)

Holistic

Holisitc Treatment
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:53:36 pm »
Hi.  Do you know of anyone trying holistic treatment to reduce an acoustic neuroma or treat it's symptoms?  Below is information on the Banerji Protocol sent by Dr. Banerji to my homeopath.  Is anyone familiar with this protocol or any other holistic treatment?  Thank you.  Gina

Dear Mr. Peter,

We treat all type of cases including Brain tumors. In our clinic, where we serve a patient load of approximately 1000 - 1200 prescriptions daily. Our treatment is very specific both in respect of the medicine as well as the potency.  Ruta Gr.6c & Calcarea Phos 3X treatment we do here alone in Brain tumor/cancer cases, no Chemo Therapy (CT) and Radio Therapy (RT) is used & we get excellent result of course.  Now this Ruta treatment is being used in many cases in all over the Globe and with & after CT, RT relapses, with great success.
Please give him the following medicines:
1) Ruta Gr.6c, in No.40 pill sizes or pill size 5mm diameter, 2 pills a dose, two doses daily, morning and evening.
2) Calcarea Phos 3X, in tablets, 2 tables a dose, two doses daily, noon and night.
Please see the website http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ruta6/
You can see "Some Cases Presentation" for brain tumors in our clinic, who are treated only by Ruta Gr. 6c and Calcarea Phos 3X. It can be accessed here: http://www.fidelibus.com/SOL-BRAIN.htm

With best wishes.
Dr. Pratip Banerji
PBH Research Foundation
10/3/1 Elgin Road, Kolkata - 700 020, West Bengal, India
Tel: +91 33 22872845, 30582818/19   Fax: +91 33 22877275
Email: pbhrf@vsnl.com   Website: www.pbhrfindia.org 

Kaybo

Re: Holisitc Treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:19:55 pm »
Gina~
I know absolutely NOTHING about this but I know that "Tumbleweed" did a very natural, wholistic approach, I believe for a year, and his tumor did not shrink.  He has just had treatment at House in LA.  I would try to send him a PM!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:47:28 pm »
Actually Tumbleweed did Cyberknife at Stanford. :)

I have heard of the Ruta treatment - a little, anyway. My understanding is that it is primarily aimed at brain cancers, which are quite different from acoustic neuromas. Because ANs are benign and grow slowly, the approaches used for fast growing tumors don't really work on ANs. The tissue and growth of an AN is so similar to normal healthy nerve tissue, it is difficult to find anything that will affect them without also affecting healthy nerves. That's what it seems like, anyway.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »
From what I know, holistic treatment will not do anything for an acoustic neuroma.

Your best bet is watch & wait, radiation or surgery.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:48 am »
My bad...Stnford...House...it is all West of me!!!!!!

K   ;D ;D ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:37:42 am »
Yeah, I tried a really rigorous holistic program for about six months (not a year, as Kaybo thought), and my tumor grew (and faster than normal) anyway. Another member of our forum -- I think her name was Kelly -- tried a very similar program as I, only she did it for a full year, and her tumor stayed the same size.

On the off chance that it might help you, Gina, here is an excerpt from my post that detailed my failed program and related research:
1. Herbs and supplements that are anti-angiogenesis, anti-inflammatory, and anti-coagulant.

Angiogenesis is the sprouting of new blood vessels from an existing blood vessel. It is necessary for a tumor to grow. Without the new blood supply (for nutrition) and waste pathway, a tumor simply can't grow beyond 1 or 2 mm in size. Some herbs and supplements that have been either clinically proven or proven in in vitro or in vivo lab studies to suppress angiogenesis are: turmeric, ginkgo biloba, Panax ginseng, ginger, milk thistle, japanese knotweed (containing resveratrol), grape seed extract, green tea extract, and quercetin (found in burdock root, grapes and red and yellow onions). These herbs work by different mechanisms, for example:

Turmeric, grape seed extract, milk thistle (the extract contains the polyphenolic flavenoid silymarin), ginkgo biloba, Japanese knotweed (resveratrol), and green tea extract all have been shown to inhibit VEGF (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor), which is essential for angiogenesis to occur. VEGF must proliferate in the inside walls of blood vessels in order for them to branch out and form new vessels.

Turmeric also blocks APN, an enzyme necessary for tumor angiogenesis.

Some research indicates that angiogenesis favors inflammatory and hyper-coagulative states. Ginger, resveratrol (a supplement you can order online), turmeric, Panax ginseng, burdock root, quercetin, and japanese knotweed all inhibit NF-kB, an inflammatory transcription factor that plays a role in cell proliferation, apoptosis (tumor-cell death) and immune-system response. Ginger, fish oil, turmeric, bromelain (a digestive aid found in pineapple), grape seed extract, resveratrol, Panax ginseng, and burdock all inhibit COX-2, which causes inflammation and is thought to be a factor in tumor growth. Wobenzym, a supplement that is popular in Europe and available in health-food stores in the U.S., is used by many to boost the immune system and reduce inflammation; one of its ingredients is bromelain.

Also of note, a hyperglycemic blood load (in plain English: high blood sugar levels) is thought to be inflammatory; burdock root, dandelion root and garlic are all hypoglycemic and may be helpful in counteracting a hyperglycemic state. Best to avoid eating all those donuts and cookies, too!

Other approaches are also of interest. Research indicates that mutation of the p53 tumor suppressor gene may cause a tumor to grow by escaping detection by our immune system. Quercetin and burdock root (which contains quercetin) inhibit mutation of the p53 gene. Resveratrol induces the p53 gene to activate tumor-cell apoptosis (cell death). Proteins that suppress apoptosis, such as Bcl-2 and Bcl-XL, can increase angiogenesis when their "expression" is "up-regulated." Turmeric, grape seed extract and green tea extract all down-regulate the expression of these proteins. Green tea extract has also been shown to inhibit non-malignant profilative diseases.

Fibrin is a component of coagulation, which some researchers believe plays a role in tumor-cell growth. Gotu kola and bromelain break down fibrin by stimulating production of tissue plasminogen activator (tPA). Dandelion root is anti-coagulant and is also a blood cleanser, alterative (improves general health) and protects the liver.

According to naturopathic doctor Donald Yance, lowering serum copper levels stops angiogenesis and switches endothelial cells into the apoptosis pathway. Supplements and food that lower blood-serum copper levels include zinc, lipoic acid (AKA alpha lipoic acid), N-acetylcysteine, selenium and cilantro. You probably don't want to cut out copper completely from your diet, however; you may just want to keep it in check. That's because some copper is necessary to maintain the health of your nerves' myelin sheaths. And ANs destroy affected nerve(s) myelin sheathing.

2. Adaptogenic herbs are those that stimulate the immune system and cause a general improvement in health. Four adaptogen tinctures (liquid extracts) I've been taking daily to build my body's immune system are reishi mushroom, maitake mushroom, ashwagandha, and astragalus root. To this I add milk thistle extract for its anti-angiogenesis influence and because it also protects the liver (a good, precautionary measure to take if you're taking high, therapeutic doses of herbs and supplements). I also take Panax ginseng in a powdered herb formula I made up, which also includes turmeric, ginkgo biloba, gotu kola, ginger, licorice root and burdock root. Part of my thinking with the ginkgo biloba is that it might also help deliver all these herbs and supplements to the tumor because it is known to increase blood flow to capillaries in the cerebrum. While the cerebrum isn't where ANs grow, it's in the neighborhood. Anything I can do to increase blood flow to my brain might also decrease any existing hyper-coagulative state. So I do shoulder stands (a yoga posture) and hike outdoors (aerobic exercise) as much as possible -- one or the other exercise daily.

3. Hippocrates Health Institute (in Florida) cites success with shrinking non-malignant brain tumors by placing their clients on a raw-food diet, consisting mostly of sprouts (beans and seeds) and raw fruits and vegetables. I followed a strict raw-food diet many years ago for 3.5 years when I was much younger, and my health improved dramatically. Now much older, I feel I need to eat more protein than what a raw-food diet can provide. Plus, I feel that fish, eaten in moderation, is important to my health. So I am currently eating about 80% raw foods, along with a little bit of fish (salmon or trout) and cooked vegan foods every 4 or 5 days. Research indicates that most diseases occur in a body that is over-acid. Most fruits and vegetables alkalize the diet, so that is my dietary focus. I drink over a pint of raw vegetable juice each day, primarily that made from leafy green vegetables. I can't say for sure, but I think it's the fact that I ate a heaping plateful of leafy greens every day for the last 7.5 years (which is when my symptoms began) that has preserved my hearing so well. I've read some research that indicates that Vitamin A (which is high in leafy greens) suppresses tumor growth and grows new auditory hair cells (in the inner ear) in mice fetuses.

In addition to the herbal extracts and powdered formula I mentioned above, I'm also taking 37 mg resveratrol, 100 mg grape seed extract, and 500 mg Quercetin 3x daily (for their anti-angiogenesis properties). Plus Wobenzym twice a day for the same reason. And 15 mg zinc once daily to reduce my blood-serum copper levels.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:44:32 am »
Once again, my bad - I may not have all the facts straight, but at least I remembered the right person!!   ;D   ;D

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:45:18 am »
Hi holistic,

I saw you posed this on the CKPatient support forums as well and not sure if you saw Dr. Medbery's response yet (or not). I share here ......

Phyl

=================================

radsrus
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 6818
Posted Yesterday 4:07 PM (GMT -8)    

Holistic: "relating to or concerned with wholes or with complete systems rather than with the analysis of, treatment of, or dissection into parts <holistic medicine attempts to treat both the mind and the body> <holistic ecology views humans and the environment as a single system>"

I am all in favor of holistic medicine under the above definition. I am opposed to use of unproven therapies when there are good proven therapies available. In fact, I hope that I practice holistic medicine, taking care of both the mind and the body. But I don't use homeopathic remedies. These are pure quackery. From Wikipedia: "Common homeopathic preparations are diluted beyond the point where there is any likelihood that molecules from the original solution are present in the final product; the claim that these treatments still have any pharmacological effect is thus scientifically implausible[13][14] and violates fundamental principles of science,[15] including the law of mass action."

Ruta is a homeopathic remedy derived from the rue plant. There is no evidence of medicinal efficacy as a homeopathic remedy. It is said to be helpful for "When sitting, tearing stitches in rectum and "Protrusion of rectum when stooping." It is as likely to be helpful for those conditions as for treatment of acoustic neuromas. Calcarea is derived from a sponge and is also a homeopathic remedy. It is said to be useful for "Headache, with abdominal flatulence" and "Nymphomania, with aching, pressing, or weakness in uterine region". Again, this remedy will not be helpful for acoustic neuroma.

There are a number of reasonable options for treatment of acoustic neuroma. This is not one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:00:06 am »
While I suspect Dr. Medbery is correct in his opinion that homeopathics likely would not successfully treat an AN, his statement that homeopathic medicines are "pure quackery" is unfounded and biased. Many people, myself included, have experienced great benefits from taking homeopathic medicines. They don't always work for all conditions, but for some they succeed where all other modalities fail. That said, I doubt they would help reverse or even stall the growth of an AN. But to categorically reject homeopathics as pure quackery shows a lack of experience and knowledge of this important branch of naturopathic medicine.

FWIW,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08