Author Topic: This Week 8/3 In the Ever Capricious AN World  (Read 15773 times)

LADavid

This Week 8/3 In the Ever Capricious AN World
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:49:29 am »
Looks to be an active week.

First up on Tuesday, Jackie (from Beaverton -- home of Nike -- near Portland) gets the results of her MRI and audiology tests.  Jackie here's hoping that there is no more growth and the the thing has actually been shrinking.

Also on Tuesday, Windy heads to my old hometown of Pittsburgh for a GK at UMPC.  Windy, best wishes for a very successful procedure.  And while you are there, enjoy Pittsburgh.  Since you'll be so close by, make sure to visit the Carnegie Museum.

And finally for Tuesday, it looks like I have something to do.  I'm heading down the road to St Vincents for an MRI because my surgeon said something wasn't right.  Hmmm.

Then on Wednesday, Sue L is having an AN surgery in Lebanon NH.  Best wishes and much success Sue.

And finally, on Saturday, Joef is celebrating the third anniversary of his AN surgery.  Way to go Joef!!!

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone.  But as a reminder to all of you with upcoming surgeries, procedures, tests, anniversaries, birthdays, achievements, new puppies and all the other exciting AN things, please note them on the calendar (link below on my signature line) so we can all be there for you.  It's a pretty simple process.  Even as a techno-challenged type, I actually managed it.

That's it for this week.  But just wanted to say, looking back on July, there were a lot of great successes.  It really has been a blessing for all of us and for all of you who are on-deck, hopefully an inspiration.

Have a great week everyone.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

Re: This Week 8/3 In the Ever Capricious AN World
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:44:40 pm »
I believe Jackie is in for more diagnosis on her situation; she has a small AN on one side, and a small meningioma on the other side, according to the last round. Here is hoping that the situation becomes clearer with this new MRI, and that good options are available, should treatment be indicated.

Sue L, I am sorry to say that I don't have a pair of bunny slippers for you, you will have to settle for a virtual pair. Just pretend your socks have ears! Best wishes for a good surgery and a smooth recovery.

Windy, have a good zap at Pittsburgh, you are with one of the best there. Hoping for a great outcome for you.

Nancy L (NL), a friend of Kathleen, is also having surgery this week, I think on Wed., but it hasn't been posted on the calendar. Best wishes for a duplicate of Kathleen's successful surgery.

I agree, David, July was a very good month. Hopefully August will follow suit.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:53:58 pm »
Hello David,

Thank-you for your uplifting well wishes, and may I say that I hope your news is good news too! My results will hopefully determine if there has been any growth of the first AN I was diagnosed with, and  determine whether or not I have a second AN or if it is a Meningioma (also a slow growing non-cancerous tumor) and exactly where it is located. The experts disagree, for now! I'll keep you all posted! May all of you continue your healing and I wish you all many blessings!
Jackie

Oh, David, obviously you've been to my part of the world! It's pretty nice here in the Pacific Northwest, huh!!!
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 02:05:12 pm »
Jackie
I used to go to Portland frequently on business back in the 80's.  I love it there.  I even have a Jake's cookbook that I occasionally pull off the shelf and whip up a dinner to remind me of one of my favorite restaurants.  Of course there are a lot of great restaurants there.  And of course in the spring, you have one of the most beautiful airports in the country -- at least when I was last there in about 1990.  And of course, Portland reminds me a lot of my hometown, Pittsburgh because of the rivers and hills.

Best wishes for this week.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 04:43:35 pm »
Jackie and David -

after reading your posts, you've got me thinking I should book a trip to Portland soon - it sounds like a lovely place.

Best wishes to both of you - I hope your MRIs shed some light on your "situations".

Sue L and Nancy L best wishes for smooth surgeries and fast, uneventful recoveries, and Windy good luck with the GK.  Keep in mind that everyone's different and everyone's AN journey is different.  We did have some excellent treatment results in July, but focus on your own recoveries, not on trying to live up to someone else's.

Joef, congratulations on your 3rd anniversary!  and thanks once again for your encouragement and help with all my BAHA questions prior to my implant surgery.

Almost forgot - wonderfully worded post, David.  You sure have a way with words  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 08:18:47 pm »
Thank you to everyone for your well wishes.  Since I've been getting all of my resources on this forum for 1 1/2 years I'm very confident that I will come through with flying colors.  If not, with time, I will be OK.  It was a long 1 1/2 years of worrying, but now it's time. 

Steve, no bunny slippers.......shame on you....I'm going to cry!!  :(

My daughter from Arizona is arriving tomorrow and staying for 2 weeks.  My daughter from New York will meet us Tuesday night for dinner and we're going to party, at least till midnight, that's when I have to be good.  Wednesday at 6am I report to the hospital.  My surgery should be around 8:30am.  Is there an email or something that my daughter can send to update you on my surgeryl.  I have made her a group contact for friends and family but don't know what to give her so all of you can receive updates.  Please let me know. I do have Katie Bonner's email but she's leaving for vacation...

To the rest of you who are having test etc.....good luck and we shall all conquer this......  :)

SueL/NH

SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:02:15 pm »
Sue L -

I'd love to say you can email me, but I'll be out of town also and I'd hate to have our fellow forumites waiting on me.

Any volunteers?  David? Lori? Debbi? Kaybo?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:15:08 am »
Jan and Katie out of town???  What are you guys doing? Taking a vacation?  Debbi is the go-to for follow-up.  Debbi, you're not going out of town, are you?  Debbi?
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

NL

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:44:04 am »
Jan and Steve,

Thanks so much for the good wishes!

David,

It took me a while, but now it's official - I'm on the calendar!

Sue L,

I'm so glad your daughters will be coming in to town to stay with you - and to party with you first! I'm not having surgery until the afternoon, so I will still be "awake" at 8:30 am and will be sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

Thanks to everyone again for all the support,

Nancy L.
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:36:32 am »
Hey Sue!  :-*  Been ages since we spoke. I'm assuming you'll be at Dartmouth/Hitchcock?  Wellness wishes to you and you KNOW I'll be cheering you on!!!!

As for everyone else this week.... my continued wishes for good health... dead head boogers... and onward and upward!  Hang tough!

Phyl

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes.  Since I've been getting all of my resources on this forum for 1 1/2 years I'm very confident that I will come through with flying colors.  If not, with time, I will be OK.  It was a long 1 1/2 years of worrying, but now it's time. 

Steve, no bunny slippers.......shame on you....I'm going to cry!!  :(

My daughter from Arizona is arriving tomorrow and staying for 2 weeks.  My daughter from New York will meet us Tuesday night for dinner and we're going to party, at least till midnight, that's when I have to be good.  Wednesday at 6am I report to the hospital.  My surgery should be around 8:30am.  Is there an email or something that my daughter can send to update you on my surgeryl.  I have made her a group contact for friends and family but don't know what to give her so all of you can receive updates.  Please let me know. I do have Katie Bonner's email but she's leaving for vacation...

To the rest of you who are having test etc.....good luck and we shall all conquer this......  :)

SueL/NH

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 07:17:16 am »
Nancy -

I'm glad you figured out the AN Calendar and "booked" you surgery.  Now you are official  ;)

David -

I think Press Secretary Debbi is an excellent choice.  Maybe one of us should point out to her that we are nominating her?

I am going on a vacation of sorts - I'm working at our annual convention.  It's in Minnesota this year, and although it's a lot of work, it also gives me time to spend with grownups and I get a hotel room all to myself.  No one calls me mom - at least if I have my cell phone turned off  :D

Jan

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:45:59 am »
Hi All-

Press Secretary to the AN Stars checking in!  Sue, I'll send you a PM with my email address so you can have your daughter put me on her list and I'll update everyone here on the forum.

Jackie and David - sending you tons of good thoughts for your MRIs this week.  And, David, an extra hug coming your way!

Windy - good luck this week with your GK.  Can we expect pictures???

Joef - happy anniversary!!

We've had a great couple of weeks of AN treatment results, which will hopefully continue, unabated, this week...

Debbi
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:00:58 am by Debbi »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 08:19:20 am »
Good Luck to everyone - been out of town so this is a little late...

David~
I have you in my thoughts & prayers for Wednesday - sorry you are having to go through this - I am sure the waiting is the worst part.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 12:03:03 pm »
Just heard that Nancy L will be having a Retro through House this week.  Nancy's a local LAer  8) -- not too far from me.  She's having her surgery on Wednesday.  Looks like Kathleen and Nancy and I are all converging on House at the same time.  Best wishes Nancy for a very successful surgery.  Will someone keep us posted or do I need to come down there on Wednesday to get the information first-hand?  And if you're having your pre-surgery physical tomorrow -- I'll be in Dr Stefan's office at 1:00.

By the way, thank you all for the well-wishes on tomorrows MRI.  I had a pretty wobbly walk this morning and I'm axious to get to the bottom of it.  And Kay, the waiting isn't really the hardest part for me -- it's getting shoved into the Cylinder of Doom and having my brain boomed, banged, and pinged that I don't like :-\

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 12:08:45 pm »
David~
Could you please just think of me and how I actually LIKE MRI's because it is the few "peaceful" minutes that I have ALL to myself.  All the banging is actually rhythmic...I'll let you do this one long distance for me because I sure could use a little break...please????

K

PS - Good luck TOMORROW, not Wednesday!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!