Author Topic: Washington University Facial Nerve Center  (Read 2639 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Washington University Facial Nerve Center
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:18:09 pm »
Phil and I spent yesterday and today in St. Louis. Yesterday was a test day. I had a facial EMG (looking for nerve regeneration) and another audiogram plus an auditory brainstem response. The EMG results were not encouraging. The technician and resident performing the procedures did not see any signs of regeneration.

Today I saw Dr. J. Gail Neely, an otolaryngologist who heads up the Facial Nerve Center at Washington University. Best news first: Dr. Neely thinks I have a good chance of regaining full hearing. Dr Neely saw the slightest of movement on the left side of my nose and lips. Enough to score a whopping 12 (out of 100). He thinks that I will, over a long period of time (12 - 18 months post-op, which would be through December 2009) regain a significant amount of movement, but I won't return to normal. He thinks I can expect about a III on the House-Brackman scale (http://www.dundee.ac.uk/bells/index_files/hbscale.htm). If I am not satisfied at 18 months, we will talk about surgical options. I asked about synkenesis -- he says that is pretty much a given, but I will work with physical therapists when the time comes. I see Dr. Neely again in four months, just before Thanksgiving.

In two weeks I return to St. Louis to see Dr. Custer, an ophthalmologist who works with many of Dr. Neely's facial paralysis patients. Dr. Neely says he is very good at determining what patients need in terms of eyelid inserts and other minor nip-and-tuck procedures.

After the less than optimistic comments from the EMG bunch, today's appointment was very encouraging. Dr. Neely seems to be a very knowledgeable and empathetic doctor, and I feel that I am in the right hands. I get overwhelmed when I think about the timeline, but then I lived with hemifacial spasm for five years, and got through that. I am okay with living out my life with an eyelid weight if I have to, and I am okay with not being able to lift my eyebrow, but I really, really want to smile again, and soon.

Sara
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:29:14 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sgerrard

Re: Washington University Facial Nerve Center
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:24:25 pm »
Well, at least the appt. with Dr. Neely went well, and you sound confident in him. The time line is not exactly pronto, that's for sure. But you know, you can't really hide a smile. If you feel it inside, it always shows to others in some way -  a twinkle in the eye, the tilt of the mouth, a crinkle in the cheek. We can tell when you're smiling. :)

Best wishes and take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.