Author Topic: WOW there seems to be more and more newbies  (Read 7181 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
WOW there seems to be more and more newbies
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:21:31 pm »
There seems to be more and more newbies....which is GREAT they came here for support but very unfortunate that they have an AN.... I have notice 10 newbies witihin 1 week....
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

LADavid

Re: WOW there seems to be more and more newbies
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:18:42 pm »
I noticed that as well.  I'm losing track.  Seems like an AN epidemic has hit North America.

To all of you who are new, welcome to a group of some of the finest, most caring people you will ever meet.  They were my lifesaver when I signed on 2 months post surgery.

If you have an upcoming surgery, please note it on th AN calendar (the link in on my signature line -- below).  And you will find a lot of good answers from this group for the questions you may feel are odd or silly.  Ask away.  It was the only way I discovered that a wonky-head is a real thing.

Wishing you all the best.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:39:58 pm »
I telll ya, it's all those cell phones..  ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:35:11 pm »
I assume that it means more people are finding this forum, not that there are more ANs showing up. Hopefully.

Or maybe Brian is right, it is all those cell phones, or maybe a lot of these people worked in fish hatcheries, you just never know. :)

David, weren't you the one who wanted to start a campaign to get all the ENTs to inform patients about this forum? Maybe it is already working...

Steve

PS: Welcome to all newbies. The more the merrier.
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:41:03 pm »
Welcome to all newbies. The more the merrier.

Absolutely!  Welcome, newbies!  Glad you've joined us ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:41 pm »
Or maybe Brian is right, it is all those cell phones, or maybe a lot of these people worked in fish hatcheries, you just never know. :)

Steve

PS: Welcome to all newbies. The more the merrier.

Wait!  How'd you know about that? ;)  Btw, welcome newbies! 

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:33:47 pm »
Brian -

did you miss the fish hatchery theory  ???

I couldn't tell if you were just feeding into Steve's humor or not, so in case you missed it, let me say it's an actual theory  :o

It's worth a search to find the link.  Very interesting theory to say the least  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:40:33 pm »
Oh, I got the humor alright.  I don't know about that particular theory, but I'm confident that one exists.  I'm equally humored that these types of theories exist.

Brian

JulieW4

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:20 pm »
I think more people are used to using the internet for research, and when you are diagnosed with a brain tumor it's only normal to want to find more info.  Also, my neurotologist did tell me to do as much research as I wanted on the internet, he really encouraged it.  When I told my neurosurgeon what a wonderful help this forum was he made a comment like, "Well, I did check out the forum and it seemed like the people that made the most comments were people that had problems with their treatments.  The people who seek treatment and do well  don't seem to post as much so a new person seeking info might get more negative comments then positive ones."  I told him that he was completely wrong.  I found the support to be very positive and helpful.  He did say that it had been awhile since he had been to the message forums.  Anyways, I am very glad that more newbies are finding ANA and the support that it is here.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:16:58 am »
I know that my use of the internet went from about 1hour/month to about 30hours/month since I found out about my AN.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:59:23 am »
I lost count..... and yes, definately more active with new posters/members lately... and for all those that have come here seeking info, experiences and support, a "welcome" to you all.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:11:35 am »
Welcome 'newbies'! :)

If these forums are getting better-known (and utilized) that simply validates their existence.  While we all wish AN's could be eradicated, as long as they exist, whatever we can do to help, support and advise AN patients is a very worthwhile use of the internet and why I'm proud to be a part of this group.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:41:02 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:37:07 am »
I second that Jim!!!! WELCOME NEWBIES!!!!!!!!
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 08:32:30 am »
a BIG Thank You to all of you, seniors  ;)

I would like to share that this site has been very informative and soothing place for me. Although I found you 2 months post-op, I still need to have another surgery done so this is a pool of information!

Thank you for being here and sharing!

Best weishes,

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:26:09 pm »
welcome newbies.....wow just from 1 week ago I noticed about 8 more  :o