Author Topic: WOW there seems to be more and more newbies  (Read 7211 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: WOW there seems to be more and more newbies
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 12:51:04 pm »
Richard -

I'm glad to hear you don't have an AN, but I wonder about the mysterious hearing loss.  The tinnitus is quite common so it doesn't puzzle me as much.

I hope you find the answers to your problems. 

Best wishes,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 01:53:34 pm »
Richard:

I join my forum friend Jan in being pleased to learn that your MRI didn't show an Acoustic Neuroma.  I also hope the cause of your tinnitus and other hearing issues is soon found and easily remedied.  Oh, and thanks for the kind words.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 04:03:27 pm »
Richard,

Did they use contrast when you had your MRI?  If they did congratulations on not having AN.  I'm also glad you found the forum and appreciate us!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

LADavid

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:34 pm »
Hey Richard

Welcome to the Forum.  I may be able to shed some light on your hearing issues.  For over 23 years, I have had high-pitch hearing loss and tinnitus -- I'm guessing before the tumor developed.  While I can't say for sure what eventually triggered the loss my suspicion is that it was caused while flying in an un-pressurized plane while I had a serious head cold.  However, I was hearing loss waiting to happen.  In my younger days, I played in a band and was exposed to some very intense high end sounds.  I am sure that set me up for whatever happened down the road.  Guessing from your name Music Guy, you may also be exposed to abnormal sounds.  There could have been a single incident that you may not have even been aware of that triggered your loss.  My biggest advice to anyone who has had a hearing loss is do everything you can to protect your hearing in the other ear.  I didn't.  I hear very little now without the use of a hearing aid.

BTW, thank you for the "sterling" compliment.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 07:17:49 pm »
Hi Richard,

I say stick around the forum anyway. I'd be curious to find out what caused your hearing loss and/or tinnitus, and if anything can be done about it. It is also useful to have someone with symptoms similar to an AN who can chime in to point out other possible explanations when new cases come up.

Plus anyone who considers us a sterling group is always welcome.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 07:49:57 pm »
Richard~
I think you should stay around...I KNOW you won't find another group like this one...for many reasons!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 10:15:51 pm »
Richard -

I'm with the others.  I think you should stick around also  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »
WetEver,

I know exactly how you feel. Once I was diagnosed and was weighing all my options I was driving myself crazy.  Then when I finally made up my mind and booked a date for my surgery I felt like a weight was lifted off me.

Good luck with your treatment and keep us all posted.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 09:04:32 pm »
well welcome newbies!!!!!!!  ;D

the good news is  we all been there done that. and from what i have seen in here, there are a lot more positives then negatives posted  as well.

some of that is due to the "oldsters" jan, jim, our fearless leaderette.

these hero members, global members senior cape flying members......... ;D

and then some like me who try and chime in in batches every once in awhile.......

got a concern  newbies? let us know ...............

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

suz

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 10:07:15 pm »
I am one the many newbies you are speaking of and I 'm glad to be part of a crowd.
FYI, my Neurotologist, Dr. Wilcox, at Jefferson Center for Balance and Hearing in Philadelphia, PA directed me to "ANA". It only took me two years to actually use it!  But he actually gave out an information sheet that suggested this website.
Just thought I'd pass that on, and thanks to all for the warm welcomes.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

vossman

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 10:46:05 pm »
I'm a newbie and I sure have found the forum to be very supportive and encouraging for all going through this journey.  Even though I didn't have the AN I found this site to be very supportive and encouraging for the "care givers".  This is a hard journey not matter what your role is and I found this forum to be great.  You can get definitely get more detailed information on this forum than from the doctors.  Not that doctors don't have good info it is just that they don't know what it is like to go through this.

Chris
Chris
Anissa's other half