Author Topic: Tips on Coping with your Brain Tumor Diagnosis  (Read 3171 times)

shanne

Tips on Coping with your Brain Tumor Diagnosis
« on: December 19, 2005, 08:54:55 pm »
Hi All,

I read this from a book the other day & found its meaningful to share this with all of you in the forum.
As we are all in the same boat, i guess we could understand each others' feelings better & provide support for each other.
Hope the following is useful, especially to the ones who just got diagnosed ( remember, you are not going to be alone )!

How to Survive a Brain Tumor

1: Know your enemy. The more you know about your enemy's strengths & weaknesses, the better you can fight it.

2: Know your strengths. Keep Healthy & fit.

3: Know your weaknesses. If there's something you can improve, do it. If you cant change it, accept it & move on.

4: Know your allies. If you think your doctor is not 100% dedicated to the battle, find another better one.

5: Know your weapons. Some treatments for brain tumors sounds pretty scary, but if they work against the enemy, thats what you need.

6: Maintain your arsenal. Dont run out of medications you need. Do not let your insurance lapse. If it does, look for as many different funding resources you can.

7: Find some comrades in arms. No one else really knows what its like to be in trenches, & some of your best friends could be made on battlefield.

8: Take time for rest & relaxation. You need it to keep fighting.

9: Remember that an army moves on its stomach. If you do not get adequate nutrition, you'll be defeated.

10: Look to experienced leaders in your treatment team for guidance. Work on your common objective.

11: Check your position from time to time. Those follow up appointments, labs, MRIs, keep the enemy under scrutiny.

12: Anticipate occasional setbacks. Keep mentally prepared to engage more vigorously with the enemy if necessary.

13: Do not ignore warnings from your body. Loss of hearing, dizziness, imbalance, facial numbness all require doctor's attention.

14: Scout for locations of refuge if you ever need one. Hospitals that are ill equipped to deal with your enemy arent good places to be.

15: Keep the folks back home well informed about how you are doing.

16: Be patient with others who do not know the enemy as well as you do.

17: Kiss your sweetheart as often as possible and always with the thought that it could be the last.

18: Pray for your comrades, your family & yourself. Pray for yourself to have courage & act like as if prayer has been answered.

19: Remember that the enemy can take your life, but not your spirit, Spread your spirit around to so many people & places that the enemy can never destroy it.

Good Luck to all!

Be brave!

Rgds,
Shanne

nannettesea

Re: Tips on Coping with your Brain Tumor Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 06:29:17 pm »
This is amazing.  Tomorrow I'm going in to yell at my doctor.  If he doesn't help me, I'm finding someone else.  Unfortunately I'm too ill to travel....thank you for this.  I'm so angry at what has happened and been done to me.  I've been trying to relax into this, but fighting is what I keep doing, so this works for me!
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 07:24:33 am »
Yes, the above are all important considerations. It is an interesting metaphor to compare it to enemies and battles.

The one absent is to know when you finally make the decision best for you that you have based your decision on your age, the tumor's size, your hearing, your health, your insurance coverage,your lifestyle and to proceed forward with CONFIDENCE.  Never second guess yourself after the treatment. 

Best of luck to you all,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

sirialison

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 02:54:27 pm »
This is amazing.  Tomorrow I'm going in to yell at my doctor. 

HA! i LOVE you for this! go for it!
Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004