Author Topic: WHEN DO YOU THROW IN THE TOWEL?!?!?!  (Read 3022 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

WHEN DO YOU THROW IN THE TOWEL?!?!?!
« on: July 25, 2008, 12:20:30 pm »
I HAD A PLATINUM WEIGHT. HAD IT TAKEN OUT. TOO HEAVY. NOW WEARING EXTERNAL WEIGHT SINCE APRIL. THE DOCTORS HAVE SAID THAT THERE IS REGENERATION TO THE EYE NOW AND TO GIVE IT TIME. I HAVE BEEN DOING PRETTY GOOD WITH CLOSING THE EYE AND BLINKING IN THE AM BUT NOT SO GOOD LATER IN THE DAY. TODAY I CAN'T CLOSE IT AT ALL. WHEN DO I SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND JUST GET ANOTHER IMPLANT?

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: WHEN DO YOU THROW IN THE TOWEL?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:09:32 pm »
Angie, is the external weight not working for you anymore? I haven't worn mine in over a week. I am going to see what Dr. Neely says about implants on Tuesday. Have you called your doctor about not being able to close your eye today? I'm glad you are still getting regeneration.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 03:40:41 pm »
Hi Sara,
Well. It works usually but today it isn't for some reason. Maybe I'm just tired. I really am thinking long term here. When do I get an implant and how long do I go wearing this external weight!

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:21:38 pm »
Angie~
I am by no means a Dr. but if you got the weight put back in, wouldn't it just be one less thing to worry about in this healing journey?  I know my life is MUCH easier NOT having to worry as much because of the weight.  I am not saying you are going to turn out like me...just some help right now.  I would think that it would actually help your lid to get stronger (blinking back up)...just a thought!  Hopefully we can catch up soon - maybe next week?  Have a good weekend!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:22:04 pm »
Crooked smile.

I am at 11 months, post surgery, and the stick on weight is still working for me. I am weighting (oops “waitingâ€? ar ar  ::) ;) :D ;D) to see how the botox, my synkinesis and the final nerve function regeneration all works out at the 12 month mark … before I decide on a permanent implant. I know I am allergic to gold earrings ...so the platinum, I too, may have to go with- not sure yet.

I had a month with no eye weight and I was fine. Then the synkinesis started up. Then some days I need it -others days I do not. Usually I can go without it between 11 am and 3pm. Hot & dry days I wear it all day- as a precaution. Some days, especially if I am tired and sleep deprived I really need it on- all the time. This is why I like the “stick on� as I can play with the positioning of it – wear it some days and not others …as I need it.

For 3 months post surgery I had no blink, close or wink action. Nerve recovery is slow- and I experienced is “intermittent�. I can wink now- but my cheek goes all weird and strained so I am not pushing it for fear of developing more synkinesis.

What month are you at post surgery now?

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!