Author Topic: Blinkeze eyelid weight  (Read 10199 times)

Tamara

Blinkeze eyelid weight
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:59:10 am »
Hi all,
  I got my blinkeze eyelid weight on Wednesday.  I THINK I like it for the most part.  It has a tendency to slide down during the course of the day and then push my few remaining eyelashes into my eye.  I've had to do a lot of experimenting to get the right positioning.  The good news is that thought my eye still LOOKS like H***, it feels better, and I only have to do the eyedrops every hour instead of every 15-20 minutes.  I'm wearing it to bed, and then I don't have to tape my eye shut, which is also a good thing, as I'd like to regrow my eyelashes at some point.  It is very apparent that I'm wearing it, but it just adds to my appeal at this point, what with the palsy and Ace bandage.  ALSO, and this is important, if you get one, know that they fit down the drain...(oops).  I still have the blurry vision in the left eye.  Does that ever get better?  Does it get better when the palsy improves??  That's actually the most annoying part of the recovery - I would really like to see clearly out of BOTH my eyes!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Blinkeze eyelid weight
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:00:43 pm »
Thanks for the info, Tammy.  Very interesting that it slips down - wonder if anyone else has had that problem.  Hope this isn't a silly question but do you get a month's supply, or is it reusalbe, or what?  Interesting that it's allowed you to cut down that much on eye drops - that's a relief, isn't it?

Is your vision blurry because of drops?  Mine is always blurry, but that's because I use the gel drops or Refresh PM which totally coats my eye and makes everything one big blur.  I've been using an eye wash solution in the morning to clean all the pura-lube out of my eye, and that's the only time when my vision isn't blurry - lasts about a minute, until I have to put drops in again!  I just added the eye-wash to my eye care regimen.  I know what you mean about wanting to see clearly again - after two months, I'm kinda, sorta getting used to the constant blurriness - don't like it, but getting used to it.  Hopefully yours will resolve MUCH sooner!

Thanks again for posting about the blink-eze; and the timely tip about the drain (oops!)

Debbi, funcky faced in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:48:13 pm »
HI.
I HAVE BEEN WEARING THE BLINKEZE FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS NOW. MINE STICKS ON REALLY WELL I EVEN SWAM WITH IT ON..UNDER WATER. I HAVE FOUND THAT IF I CLEAN MY EYELID IN THE AM WHILE I'M WASHING MY FACE THAT IT WON'T STICK AT ALL AND IT SLIDES DOWN NONSTOP. IF YOU SKIP CLEANING THE EYELID THEN IT STICKS GREAT. SOUNDS GROSS BUT I DON'T THINK THE EYELID GETS THAT DIRTY ANYWAY. MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE OIL CONTENT ON THE LID OR SOMETHING... I DON'T KNOW. I HAVE FOUND THAT SINCE I STOPPED INCLUDING MY EYELID IN MY SKIN CARE REGIME THAT I CAN WEAR ONE STICK ON ALL DAY LONG AND IT NEVER MOVES EVEN AFTER SWEATING. DO MAKE SURE THAT THE EYELID SKIN STAYS HEALTHY AND I DO GIVE MY EYELID A BREAK IN THE EVENINGS AND WILL EVEN PUT AN ICE COLD WASHCLOTH ON IT....IT FEELS SO GOOD AND LEAVE THE BLINKEZE OFF FOR A WHILE WHEN I CAN. HOPE THIS HELPS WITH YOUR PROBLEM.
ANGIE

Tamara

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:34:46 am »
Debbi -
  I was unsure what it was when I ordered it - I somehow thought that the adhesive strips had little weights on them.  I got a pack of 100 - cost about $80.  What it actually is is a curved weight and you get a pack of adhesive strips for it.  They attach to the back of the weight, and then you put them on your eyelid.  I suppose I'll have to post a photo (could you send instructions)?  It IS very apparent that I have "something" on my eyelid, though I have one of the bigger ones.  My eye is feeling better, with or without the weight, though, like I mentioned, I really do like the weight instead of tape at night.
  I don't know why my vision is blurry - The blurriness is pretty much constant, though I maybe have 5 or 6 occurrences of clear vision a day, and then it disappears.  I'm guessing the reason just alternates between my eye being too dry and then having drops.  Don't know for sure, though.  I'm going to ask the neurologist tomorrow.

Angie - thanks for the info - how big is your weight?

Do you think we will ever wear eye makeup again???

Tammy

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 10:22:19 am »
Eye makeup - what is that?  I seem to have some dim memory of having great looking eyes...   ???

Okay, with thanks and credit to Jan, here are the instructions she sent me for posting a picture.  You can resize the picture right on photobucket if you don't want a giant photo.  I had to play around with that feature a bit.  Jan's instructions work perfectly!

go to http://photobucket.com and sign up - it's free.

Once you move your photos to photobucket, it's easy to copy the image.  Look for a series of boxes under each photo that say "email & IM", "direct link", "HTML code" and "IMG code"  Position your mouse on IMG code and left click.  A yellow box that says "copied" will appear. 

Next go to the forum and create a new subject.  In the text of the post, just right click with your mouse and chose "paste".

You will see a set of brackets with the letters IMG in them and the address of your photobucket photo inserted between the brackets.

If you have numerous photos to post, just copy and paste each IMG code.

If you want to check and make sure your image(s) copied correctly, just "preview" your message before you hit "post" and you should see your photo in the preview box.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the photos!

2.4 cm Right Side AN

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:48:40 pm »
Hi Tamara,
My weight is a 1.0 gram. I had a platinum 1.4 inserted into the eyelid and had it taken out. Too heavy. I might even try the 0.8 stick on but don't know if it would be much smaller than what I have. I wear prescription eyeglasses and had them tinted for indoor use. It camoflauges my eye quite well and the rose tint is soothing to my eyes.

calimama

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:50:28 pm »
HI Tamara and all...

I am heading to the opthamologist again tomorrow. I saw her about a month ago and she was not very helpful but i am planning to be more specific and persistant tomorrow.

I am hoping to get the blinkese weight (not sure if i can get this in Canada or how long it will take) and also to get a bit more info about the double vision, which for me is the worst thing.

I have blurry vision sometimes in the AN eye, i think it has a little to do with irritation to the cornea (sp?). i read a good paper on eye issues... i will find it an post the link here on another reply.

I am also off the eye makeup (although i do where on the good eye sometimes... remember the bad eye is covered with a patch!).

Wishing you all well in your eye issues... it's nice to have company at times like this. Thanks for all the info.

More soon...
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Tamara

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:42:40 pm »
Trish,
  The Blinkeze people just need a prescription.  I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get one as I paid for mine outright.  I had the opthamologist try the different weights on my eyelid to determine the correct one, and then fax the prescription.  Good luck!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:34:12 pm »
Hi Cali and Mama Trish,

I hope you find something out about the double vision. It does seem like it should have cleared up by now if it was just the after shock of surgery. Maybe there are some eye exercises that can help? It seems like something that ophthalmologists would be able to treat. Hope it goes well...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:40 pm »
Trish -

I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and that the opthamologist has some ideas on what to do about the double vision.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is  :(  I only had it temporarily and I found it annoying.

Like you, I also read somewhere (maybe on this forum ?), that blurry vision can be due to irritation of the cornea.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get some answers and some solutions.

Please let us know how things go.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:42:13 am »
I knew of another Iowa ANer a few years ago who had the double vision and her eye dr had her do an  eye glass prism.              It did  help but lost contact with her so don't know how long she had to use it.
    I remember having blurred vision after my 2001 surgery for close to 6 mos,then it cleared up.   
                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

calimama

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:20:59 pm »
This is a great website i found with good explanations of eye issues post AN surgery. I hope it helps a few of you!

http://www.levine-eyesurgery.com/pub/acoustic3.pdf

ps. opthamologist was super busy again, but did say my eye/cornea was not looking too bad. she had no idea what blinkeze weights were (we are in Canada, but still?!), and said if the double vision does not correct in 6months i can consider surgery (fabulous). hanging in there...
ALL GOOD THINGS...
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 07:52:32 am »
RE Eye-weight sliding down the eyelid

Actually cleaning the eyelid and lashes IS very important - to avoid conjunctivitis.

Here is a product I found that I used to clean my eyelid and lashes with. Be sure to let it dry before applying the blinkeze.
OCuSOFT® Lid Scrub Pre-Moistened Pads

http://www.ocusoft.com/PatientCat/lidscrub.htm

Also try positioning the eye-weight a little further back from the eye lashes. If your brow is paralyzed sometimes the drooped brow skin (under the eyebrow) pushes the weight around. My neuro - ophthalmologist, who is Asian, actually told me that some Asians cannot successfully wear the blinkeze as their folds under their eyebrow are different and interferes with the blinkeze. Each persons brow fold, under the eyebrow, is different. You have to play with the positioning.

Swimming with the blinkeze huh? [/b]
Mine comes off when it gets wet. I hope you are wearing swim goggles, incase it falls off in the pool, - being that these little gizmos are costly.

Intermittent blurriness.
Look at what sort of drops you are using – anything beyond the refresh tears such as Refresh Celluvisc  etc – will create a film and cause blurriness.

The above link provided by Calimama is excellent. I will be sure to share that one with others. Thank you- it is a very comprehensive resource page for patients:)

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:35:14 am »
A also use the Occusoft cleansing pads - just started using them last week.  I use one in the morning before I wash my eye out.  It definitely helps with all the goo that gets stuck in my lashes.  That is also about the only time all day that I have a few moments of clear vision!

Debbi, still not blinking
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 04:14:14 pm »
Tammy, hope you don't mind if I steal your thread for a couple of minutes.  I just got my Blinkeze today and wanted to post a picture here so interested parties can easily find it.  Also, Tammy, many thanks for your comments on this - you were the one who inspired me to try another opthalmologist!

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN