Author Topic: Marci's (MAlgent) Surgery Update  (Read 17666 times)

JerseyGirl2

Re: Marci's (MAlgent) Surgery Update
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 01:54:06 pm »
I agree with Jan's previous posting about pain. I can honestly say that the only true, tears-to-my-eyes pain I felt during my entire hospitalization was the removal of the adhesive tape around the large IV tube on the inside of my right elbow. That was pretty excruiating, but when the nurse finally pulled the last piece of tape off the pain ended. I had dreaded the thought of a catheter -- people had told me the removal would be pretty bad, but I thought it was a non-event. During the recovery period I've certainly been aware of my scalp numbness and the tenderness around my ear as the nerves in those areas began doing whatever it is they do post-surgery, but I think it's more of an issue of sensitivity rather than bona fide PAIN.
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 03:11:38 pm »
Yes, I think this is very much of an individual thing.  I had a pretty significant amount of pain immediately following surgery, but the nurses and docs were very good about managing it.  In fact, I still have days where I have a lot of pain in my neck and the AN side of my head.  It is what it is.  That's why I have Tylenol, Advil and, for the really bad days, something stronger. 

I think everyone is probably a little diferent.  Also, some of us are bigger wimps (me!) than others!  ;D  You'd think, though, that if the darned face is all numb, you'd get a buy on the pain elsewhere!  HA.

Debbi, cheering Marci on!

Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 04:08:37 pm »
Hi Marci -
I was so glad to hear your fantastic news!  I'm so glad you're doing so well.  Brian and Andrea sound really great and it's good to know you have such wonderful support at home too.  Sending lots of healing thoughts your way. Let yourself be pampered and take your time getting back to normal.

Wendy!
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cmp

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 06:14:25 pm »
I'm so glad to hear how well your surgery went, Marci--how wonderful that all of the tumor was removed and that there was no "collateral damage" to the nerves! I hope your healing will be quick as can be...

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

sgerrard

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »

It's a good day...

Yes, it is.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 06:01:14 am »
HI All - I am off to see Dr. Roland today, so won't be updating this thread until later this afternoon, when I get back from the City.

Sending three cheers and lots of hugs and prayers to Marci (and to Wendy, who is next "on deck"!)

Debbi, over and out
2.4 cm Right Side AN

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 07:13:33 am »
Cheers Marci!!!!!! I'm glad all went very well......
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Cheryl R

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 08:31:40 am »
Debbi.     You were asking about B vitamins.      I have had tingling occ at places all over the body since my April surgery and it seemed a little worse after my surgeon follow up.         I forgot to mention to him but did tell my family dr and he said to take Centrum silver.             I think it has helped but still occ notice some.                  I just looked and it is over 100% for some B's and 417% for B-12. 
I wasn't surprised that this could occur to me since have had the surgery on both sides.     I will make sure to mention it to my surgeon.  My family doc didn't seem too shook over it.
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 01:25:46 pm »
Hi All-

I fully expect Marci to be getting online herself today or tomorrow, but wanted to send you all the latest update from her wonderfully hubby, Brian.  Got the following this morning:

"Marci says she had a dream that Steve was wildly applauding her in the recovery room. She's doing great: pain is better; she's walking around several times a day, with a walker; she's eating solid food; she had a good night sleep last night (5 hours, uninterrupted); she just had her first cup of coffee. She still has some numbness and tingling on the right-hand side of the face, and can't taste food there yet, but otherwise she's great. She's weak, naturally, and impatient to get home. They're giving her decadron for swelling and percoset for pain; the decadron is raising her blood sugar a bit, but her body seems to be adjusting, as the numbers have decreased from 185 to 149 to 134 most recently. (The first two required a bit of insulin, which as you know is normal.) She's napping/dozing a bit right now, but hopes to post to the group later. In the meantime, she wanted me to convey her THANKS to everyone."
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 01:41:01 pm »
Marci:

Congratulations on your wonderfully successful surgery and the good news of your recovery - as shared by Brian, Andrea and Debbi, your intrepid courier.  This kind of good news is exhilarating and certainly encouraging to all newbies and even us old-timers.  Well done!

I didn't experience much post-op pain, except for a too-tight head bandage, which annoyed me no end until the doctor cut it off on my third day out of surgery.  Other than that, I never had much pain and what I did was easily handled with OTC medications, such as Ibuprofen or just plain aspirin.  However, because every AN patient responds differently to surgery, my case may not be the norm.  Many posters have commented on their post-op pain, so it isn't an anomaly.  One hopes it will subside quickly, to make Marci's recovery easier, matching her success with the surgery. 

Jim   

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kathleen5306

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 04:16:07 pm »
It is so encouraging to hear of Marci's progress.  Keep taking care of yourself and healing your body!

All the best,

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 04:44:26 pm »
NEWS RELEASE!!!

Just got the following email from Andrea!  I think Marci just set a new land-speed record - WAHOO!

"Hello everyone,
Marci continues to amaze us with her recovery: she is on her way 
home.  She apparently pushed herself to walk as much as possible today 
and given that she continues to exceed expectations, they have 
released her to continue her progress at home.
Will keep you posted,
andrea"

I believe my work here is just about done...

Debbi, grining from nose to ear   ;D
2.4 cm Right Side AN

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 04:59:37 pm »
Way to go girl!!! ;D

Nothing like home sweet home, your bed and most of all a comfy pillow.  Marci you are AMAZING!!!!!  Can't wait to read your posts.  Get a good nights sleep, a nice cup of coffee and hopeful if you are up to it a quick hi on the forum.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 05:06:14 pm »
Marci -

going home already!!!  Incredible news!  You'll be back here posting before long, I'll bet.

Hey, Steve -

I don't recall you being at my surgery and applauding  ???  You're not playing favorites, are you?  ;D

Think I'll contact the ANA and suggest that attending surgeries in order to applaud would be a great addition to the moderators' job description  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 05:09:57 pm »
Hey Marci and Anne Marie

Both of you have done great this week and I do believe you have served as inspirations to Wendy and Kathleen.
Way to go!!!!!

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments