Author Topic: Physical therapy  (Read 6730 times)

Battyp

Physical therapy
« on: December 06, 2005, 05:23:00 am »
I've been doing PT now for two months and personally I don't see much improvement but I know I've had some.  How long have some of you done pt?  I'm wondering if it's worth the effort since I have to bum rides to get there.  I know I need to retrain my brain from my vestibular problems.  But after reading my hospital notes and realizing that was one of the things they "sacrificed" I'm wondering what's the point?

Thanks,
Michelle

Cheryl R

Re: Physical therapy
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 08:32:17 am »
  Michelle.   Are you doing physical therapy or vestibular therapy?     There is a difference.   Yes it can take some time for the balance to improve.     This doesn't mean you actually have to continue therapy all that time but just keep active and challenge yourself.         Some of what one learns in therapy can be done on your own at home.                My balance problems were outside and in big malls and stores so I just kept plugging away walking in these locations.  Some of it may never quite go all the way away but there should be improvement over time.     It sure tests ones patience.           Some of how long it takes you may depend if you had any balance problems pre op and if your body was starting to compensate then.       I personally never did any therapy but many people do.
     Hang in there!                             Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 11:17:18 am »
HI Cheryl,
  I'm actually doing both physical and vestibular.  I had my ankle recontructed two years ago which started bothering me again so I work on both.  I hate shopping!  I'm better as I can now walk through the store without holding on for dear life!  I still have to be careful about turning my head too fast and watching out for people...we should have shopping licenses...stay to the right of the isle please  lol

M

luv2teachsped

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 07:06:39 pm »
Michelle-
   Hang in there, it's still early yet.  My balance is still off and my surgery was in May.  I agree with Cheryl, just keep walking, try not to turn your head or your body too fast, as it definitely messesw you up.  Things will improve!Take care-luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Static

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:18:54 pm »
Michelle,
My surgery was in January of 2004 and it took me quite some time to get over the vestibular problems although I've heard of other people doing well very quickly...........I think everyone goes at their own pace.  It wasn't an easy thing and at times I still have challenges especially in the dark or when I get up and move too quickly.  I did find that when I rode in a car I would get a weird, dizzy feeling, which I still get at times, but not as bad as I did last year or that day I went home from the hospital.  I found that if I put my head against the headrest that feeling is not as bad.  Not sure if you are experiencing anything like that or not.  Funny but I don't have that problem when I'm the one who is driving, maybe it's a control thing  ;)  What the others said is true though, I've found that I just had to get out there, and scary as it was, go through the crowds (shopping in a supermarket you can also rely a bit on a shopping cart if you need to) and deal with the distractions and that was probably better therapy than the vestibular therapy that I went through a few months after my surgery.  If someone would grab on to me when I was walking, that would throw me off, it still does but not quite as much.  My husband doesn't quite seem to understand it and thinks I just don't want him to put his arm around me, guess he'll just have to deal with it LOL!  I've just decided that if someone sees me stumbling around a bit, maybe they'll just think I'm drunk  ;D  Hang in there, you can do it!
Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 11:04:39 pm »
Yeah I still walk like a drunken sailor and have been known to grab onto strangers in the store which sure beats falling!  I use the shopping cart which is a step up from the wheelchair cart I was having to use.  I think I'm just tired of therapy and feeling like i'm getting no where.  I'm sure I am or they wouldnt have me keep coming back right?

Static

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 10:29:43 am »
Actually, I didn't feel like the therapy was helping me any more than I could help myself and I figured they'd keep me coming back as long as they were getting paid so I just didn't go back anymore and started getting myself going on my own.  I started with small things like going for a haircut and out to lunch (just making the adjustment to what things sound like with no hearing in one ear changes things for you too and for me that was and still is, a big adjustment) then moved up to food shopping with hubby then on my own.  It was warmer at that time so I could walk outside, but around this time of year, I think I'd opt for walking in a mall or something.  If you bump into someone or something, it won't be the first time that has ever happened in a mall/store to somebody! It takes time and before you know it, you will have adjusted to what is comfortable for you!  Take care!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Vincent87

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 07:42:35 pm »
Keep at the PT!!!  My mom went to a rehab hospital for 19 days (after 18 days at a hospital for a Decadron-induced pyschotic episode).  She saw HUGE progress.  Got about 3 hours M-F.  I was quite hopeful about her returning to her previous life.  Now she's at a nursing home and I've had to threaten and fight for every minute she gets there..  Her vertigo is so bad she's practically bed-ridden.  But her and I still do the PT routines while she's in bed.  (She's lost 30 pounds since August.)  As the PTs say-if you don't use it, you'll lose it.  Also my mom did see results from the vestibular sessions-just simple shoulder shrugging.  I think the PTs call it Cawthorne Neck Exercises.  Keep going-it is true all those stupid cliches-no pain, no gain.  I know how difficult it is when you feel like crap.  I see it everyday with my mom.  Do whatever you can with the PT.  Good luck!

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:50:11 pm »
Thanks vincent.
I know they aren't having me come so they can get paid because they aren'y getting paid  lol

I'm just feeling stagnant and wondering if my time would be spent better out cleaning house or shopping where I have the most problems.  Putting clothes in the dryer and taking them out is a killer!  I think I need a higher dryer  lol

Thanks for all the input,
Michelle

Static

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 08:19:19 pm »
Michelle,
I'm not telling you to give up on the PT, I just felt like it wasn't helping me any so I stopped going.  I guess I wasn't seeing any immediate results so I felt like it wasn't helping (I don't have much patience)!  I knew what exercises to do so I did them myself at home.  By no means should you stop doing the PT if you feel like it is helping you.  Whatever works for you is what you need to do.  What worked for me was to get out there and do what I usually did on a daily basis........laundry, dusting, shopping, walking etc.  My kids are older so I didn't have to run after toddlers or anything like that.  I did take things slow at first, and went out with a friend or my husband before I ever even thought of venturing out alone.  The hardest thing besides the drunken gait was the new way I was hearing things and all the background noise I had from the tinnitus.  My first task  at driving was just to drive the kids to and from school (just about 1-3/4 miles from my house)  but it felt like a major accomplishment to me.  You will get there! ;)
Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

puffycheeks

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 09:27:41 pm »
Hello,

I had AN surgery on 11/8/05.  I started Vestibular Therapy in mid January.  I have seen a great improvement and so has my boyfriend.  The therapist first had me walk outside around the building to see how I was walking and where my balance was.  He also made me walk towards the window and I actually saw how I was walking and I was somewhat stunned as to how I walked like Frankenstein.  He had me do walking exercises and that helped out tremendously.
Now he is having me walk sideways while turning my head every step.  This has helped with the dizziness.  (Retraining the other side of your brain to take over.)
He is also having me balance on "wobble boards".  This has greatly helped with my balance.
All in all, I have had a very good experience with therapy. 

Just wondering what type of therapy your PT is having you do?  The above simple things seemed kind of funny and frustrating at first, but it paid off for me.  I hope you do get better soon.  It is a hard road, but it does get better.

Linda
8mm x 5mm x 5mm on left side
diagnosed Aug. 2005
Middle Fossa Surgery 11/8/05; House Ear Clinic
Reoccurence diagnosed 3/2/07
1.5cm x 5.4mm on left side;
Translab Approach 5/8/07; House Ear Clinic

Boppie

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 11:06:42 pm »
My home "physical therapy" began pre surgery.  I still do this exercise post op.  Walk and wag the head from side to side in rhythm to the gait.  Faster walk, faster wag.  If I feel too dizzy, I stop at a structure, mail box, or post, hold on for stability and just wag the head vigorously until I can't do it any more.  Each time I stop and let the dizziness settle, I feel more stable.  During inclement weather, I do the head movement in the house.  Hold onto both sides of a door jamb and wag.  ...take care not to injure the neck! :D

Outdoors my shadow tells me how I am walking. 

Window shopping and cruising tall aisles full of stock really gets me the worst.

Michelle, putting the clothes dryer on a box to make it taller is a great back saver too. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 12:25:56 pm by Boppie »

Angela

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 05:39:01 pm »
Vestibular therapy is definitely helpful but you can do the exercises at home.  The pamphlets from ANA are really good.  Just be diligent about the exercises for balancing and eye focusing.  Resuming normal activity, as much as possible, will help things improve too. 
I will get too bummed if I measure my progress daily.  I have to look back months in order to feel successful.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

Pooge

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 06:27:38 pm »
My Father just had a 4.5 cm Acoustic Nueroma removed last thursday at the university of Virginia.  The doctors said the surgery was huge success.   He was released today but sent to a rehab center for 10 days due to his balance being off.  He is very discouraged right now. I think he expected a quicker recovery.  We all have explained to him it will take time.   The question I have for other patients with this surgery was when you went home were you able to the bathroom and get a drink on your own, or did you need assistance?  He thinks he never going to regian his balance, I know that is not true.  Thats why we opted to send him to rehab, it will bring him along quicker.  Just wondering some thoughtson when you got home where you able to go to the bathroom on your own, things like that. 

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 07:58:40 pm »
Sure was able to do things like go to the fridge, the bathroom and sit in the shower.  These taskes are important to the psyche.  Every adult wants to do hygeine chores alone.  I am certain the rehab center will see that he can do these things before going home.  Some patients with large AN might use a walker for safety reasons at home.  But the balance recovers rapidly.  There were a few times after I came home that I'd get up in the morning and walk from chair to chair to get myself stabilized.  Then as the minutes rolled by I could get normalized and stay vertical all day.  This type of "crutching" if you want to call it, is no big deal.  It's just the way we Aner's get along at first.  Your Dad is very lucky to have come through in good shape.  Help him to keep the spirits up.  Lots of stories here will show your Dad how how rapidly he will be back in the swing of it.  I suggest you find some positive recovery posts and print them off for him (in 14 font, please!).