Author Topic: breakdown  (Read 3093 times)

philadelphia1

breakdown
« on: February 16, 2006, 08:21:10 pm »
Does anyone know the breakdown between the percent of people who opt for surgery (any method) versus radiosurgery/therapy (any method)?
<1cm AN
FSR (26 treatments), Dec 2005 - Jan 2006
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia

Mark

Re: breakdown
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 08:50:36 pm »
Philadelphia, ( my home town by the way  :) )

I have not personally seen a report which compares how AN treatments breakout, but I did pose this question to Dr. Chang at Stanford a couple of years ago and he indicated then that there was a recent article in the journal of neurosurgery saying that it was about a 50/50 split at that point. (kind of a poetic reflection of the opinions I guess  ;) ). I would guess that if that percentage is correct , then the number of those who could actually make a choice would lean towards radiosurgery given whatever number of large (>3 cm) AN's would be part of the sample and only had surgery as an option.

It would be interesting to see if someone could track something down on that question

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 09:05:59 am »
funny, had the same conversation recently... will lurk this thread to see if anyone knows (Mark, thanks for sharing what you got on this).

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:10:00 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm [pretty sure I remember jamie posting something on this or similar some months ago. Sorry I haven't got time to find it but its likely in the radiation section.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

jamie

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 02:42:17 pm »
The only such survey I remember finding, was a survey of the treatment neurosurgeons would choose if they were patients, perhaps this is the one you are referring to?

Radiosurgery, Resection, Fractionated or Observation?

A survey was mailed to members of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons in July 2002. Six hundred sixty-three surgeons responded to the survey (30%). The survey was mailed with four questions written on one page. Forty one percent of responders were between the ages of 40 and 50. Eighty percent of neurosurgeons surveyed had either performed radiosurgery on a patient with an acoustic neuroma or had referred a patient for neurosurgery (n=530).

Survey Case One: You are a 37 year-old neurosurgeon who presents with mild decreased hearing on one side. You have no tinnitus and no balance problems. Facial function is normal. An MRI scan (right) shows an intracanalicular acoustic neuroma and serial scans have shown a small amount of growth. Which management strategy would you choose for yourself -- observation; surgical resection; stereotactic radiosurgery; fractionated radiotherapy?

Response: The majority of surgeons stated that they would choose stereotactic radiosurgery for management of their small acoustic tumor (n=283; 43%). Only 122 surgeons stated that they would choose surgical resection of their tumor (18%). Fractionated radiotherapy was chosen by 2% of responders. Interestingly, 240 surgeons stated that they would continue to observe their tumor (36%) rather than undergoing any specific treatment at the present time. It had been stated in the case presentation that serial scans had already shown a small amount of growth. This tumor had been observed and was increasing in volume. Nevertheless, approximately one-third of responders continued to choose observation for a 37 year-old patient with a small, but growing tumor.

We evaluated the age of the responding surgeon and compared this to the treatment chosen by that surgeon . Across the age groups between 30 and 70 years, at least twice as many neurosurgeons chose radiosurgery for their tumor rather than resection. This is most pronounced in the younger surgeon age group (30 - 40 years), where four times the number of surgeons chose radiosurgery rather than resection. However, observation continued to be chosen by many. While one might think than an older person might choose radiosurgery over resection, simply to avoid the risks of general anesthesia or the surgical exposure, this did not necessarily appear to be true. This case reflected the care of an actual neurosurgeon who had gamma knife radiosurgery. He remains well 18 months following his procedure, and maintains a full practice. He has had no facial weakness or change in hearing.

Survey Case Two: You are a 50 year-old neurosurgeon who presents with mild decreased hearing on one side. You have tinnitus but no balance problems. Facial function is normal. An MRI (right) shows a left acoustic neuroma. Which management strategy would you choose for yourself -- observation; surgical resection; stereotactic radiosurgery; fractionated radiotherapy?

Response: In this scenario, the neurosurgeon had a medium size acoustic tumor that indented the middle cerebellar peduncle but without compression of the fourth ventricle. The tumor measured 22 mm in the maximum diameter. The minority of surgeons recommended continued observation for a tumor of this size (6%) (table 2). Surgical resection was recommended by 347 surgeons (52%), whereas radiosurgery was chosen by 261 surgeons (39%). Fractionated radiotherapy was only chosen by 3%. When the results were stratified by age, resection was the most popular choice across the groups between the ages of 30 and 60. However radiosurgery became more popular with advancing age of the survey group, passing resection as the most popular choice when the neurosurgeon is over age 60. It appears that surgeons chose to have a resection because of the larger volume of the tumor with indentation of the lateral surface of the brain stem. This patient was also a real neurosurgeon who had radiosurgery. He remains well 18 months after the procedure with a decrease in the size of the tumor. Facial function remains normal.

Patients with acoustic neuromas have several options available to them. Large tumors with significant brainstem compression usually require surgical resection. For patients with small or medium sized tumors, radiosurgery has become a common treatment with excellent long-term results reported. It is interesting to see how neurosurgeons themselves choose treatments as if they were the patient.

http://www.acousticneuroma.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/docsurvey.html

CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

becknell

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 04:55:45 pm »
I k new I had read this somewhere. This site by Dr. Hain says 50 percent choose surgery, 25 percent choose wait and watch and 25 percent choose radiation. However, the site doesn't say when those figures date to, and they could be somewhat dated. Here's the site. It's very informative.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/tumors/acoustic_neuroma.htm