Author Topic: Zeek's back  (Read 2677 times)

zeek

Zeek's back
« on: June 22, 2008, 08:42:12 pm »
Hello, it's been awhile since I've been on here, thought I would update you on how I've been. My surgery was in late Feb, and now I'm happy to report great progress. As of June 1, I got completely over the depression, and dependancy on pain killers. April and May were very dark times for me. I feel almost as normal as before surgery now, with the exception of the bruised nerve in my hand that will not get better! They say give it time, so......
I have noticed that when I drive my tractor, even with my earplugs in, I don't feel well at all in the evenings, ears ring, and buzz, and headaches. So, I quit for a few days, and it gets better. To much bouncing around I think. I'm getting more ringing and buzzing now, 4 months after surgery. Normal ?
I was hoping it would quite down by now. In resturants where there clanging, and banging dishes and silverware around, I just have to put in my earplugs! I can't take it. How long before I get over this? I feel my best when I'm out walking in the quite evenings. August 7 I go in for a dredded M.R.I. I'm trying not to think about it, but did have a bad dream the other night related to it. I have to take 3 Valiums before they can get me in the darn thing! There's only a 10-20% chance my M.R.I. will show a regrowth, so wish me luck in August! Take care all.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Zeek's back
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:47:50 pm »
Zeek --

Welcome back!  I just had my surgery 6 weeks ago or so, therefore I can't speak to that.  I can tell you based on what I read that we all have varying degrees of ringing afterwards.  I'm glad to hear that you're over the depression and drugs!  That's great!  I'm sure that the MRI in August will go just fine!  Regrowths are VERY rare.  Stay positive until ya have something to worry about (which you won't).  Take care!

Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:38:47 pm »
Zeek -

good to see you back; you've been AWOL for a while now  ;)

It's wonderful to hear that your depression has lifted; I hoped it would.

Can't give you any input on the ringing and buzzing - sorry.  Thankfully, I didn't have it pre op and I don't have it post op.

As Pooter said, don't worry too much about your August MRI.  Regrowths do happen, but they are very rare - I think my doc said about 1 or 2%.

I hope things continue to go well for you.  Keep in touch  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:00:47 pm »
Hey Zeek, good to see you back and, more importantly, feeling so much better.

I'm not quite sure if all the (post-op) ear noise is exactly 'normal'. Although I didn't experience this, others have.  I guess there really isn't any 'normal' with Acoustic Neuromas.  If nothing changes, I would ask my doctor about this resiwhen you see him, in August.  As Jan correctly stated, the chances of re-growth, while real, are also infinitesimal...far below 10 - 20%.  Honest.  :) 

I hope you get recovery in your hand pretty soon and that the August MRI experience is not traumatic for you.

Thanks for checking in here and please keep us updated as things evolve.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:04:33 pm »
Hey Zeek, good to see you back and, more importantly, feeling so much better.

I'm not quite sure if all the (post-op) ear noise is exactly 'normal'. Although I didn't experience this, others have.  I guess there really isn't any 'normal' with Acoustic Neuromas.  If nothing changes, I would ask my doctor about this when you see him, in August.  As Jan (ask her about her tattoo) correctly stated, the chances of re-growth, while real, are near infinitesimal...far below 10 - 20%.  Honest.   

I hope you get recovery in your hand pretty soon and that the August MRI experience is not too traumatic for you.

Thanks for checking in here and please keep us updated as things evolve.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.