Author Topic: One Year Anniversary. How many MRI's are safe?  (Read 14997 times)

robynabc

One Year Anniversary. How many MRI's are safe?
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:29:59 pm »
HI,

Want to say hi to everyone.  Haven't been here in a while.   Well,  my 18 year old had surgery a year ago on the 27th of this month.  He had his follow up MRI in March and they said it looked okay except for a small thing that they think is scar tissue that they want to "watch".  We were happy.  Well,  in the last month Eric has been having sensation on the non surgery side of his face. 

He is getting his wisdom teeth out soon because they need to come out and he has pain with that.  He is starting to worry that there is a tumor on the other side.  I emailed his doc and he said to come in and they may have to do another MRI.  Now we are getting close to the anniversary of his surgery and I wonder if that has something to do with us all.  I know I am a little stressed this week thinking about how difficult things were a year ago.  Even though it's over and he did so well.  I don't ever put it past the human mind to do these kinds of things.  Anyway,  it seems to me it would be very unlikely that he would have developed a tumor in 3 months.

Please ease our minds if you can.  Thanks so much again.  Hope everyone is well.

Robyn
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:32:25 am by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

sgerrard

Re: One Year Anniversary. And now worried.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:07:50 pm »
Consider them eased. :)

It sounds to me like the wisdom teeth are the culprits. I would wait to see how that goes. The mind is certainly capable of dreaming up these things, especially after you have already been through it once. Plus it is used to things being balanced on both sides, so it is bound to feel funny and grumble when one side is different.

I think OMG16 once said that her son said "no sense in worrying until you have something to worry about." I agree it is very unlikely that he has any sort of tumor cropping up in three months. You will be watching it and getting check ups as you go, so try to hold off worrying unless something definite shows up.

Oh, and congratulations on the 1 year anniversary. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

robynabc

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:34:25 pm »
Thanks Steve,

You are always so comforting and full of information.  Like Eric said,  He just wants to know why it is happening.  Once he knows why then he will be fine. 

My Eric is not one to worry either but since this happened.  It is harder for us all.  I have to say the waiting for surgery last year was absolutely the hardest part.  After that it is all downhill. 

Thanks again.  It is a lovely night here in Denver and just beautiful out.  I am truly blessed that my baby is doing so welll.  Shh.   Please don't tell my 19 year old that I called him my baby.  LOL. 
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

robynabc

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:31:41 am »
Eric's doctor emailed me back and said it i very unlikely that there is another tumor.  He said Eric may need another MRI though.  Does anyone know how many of these MRI's you can have in a year?   Eric has had 4 this year with the surger and followup and dx MRI.  Is it okay to have so many?

Thanks,

Robyn

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: One Year Anniversary. How many MRI's are safe?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 01:42:40 pm »
Robyn:

It's O.K.  The MRI does not use radiation and is perfectly safe for multiple use.  I've had at least 8 MRI scans in the past two years with no negative effects except for the boredom while laying in the machine for 40+ minutes at each session.  If you're still in doubt, just ask your doctor or even an MRI tech for verification or check out the facts on the web where you'll find this kind of info:.

"An MRI scan is a painless radiology technique that has the advantage of avoiding x-ray radiation exposure. There are no known side effects of an MRI scan. The benefits of an MRI scan relate to its precise accuracy in detecting structural abnormalities of the body."

I got this here: http://www.medicinenet.com/mri_scan/page2.htm

I hope this helps ease your mind about multiple MRI scans.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

robynabc

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:51:29 am »
Thanks Scott and Steve,

You guys are the best.   That was very helpful.  I am sure this has to do with the wisdom teeth.  We are just a little more jumpy because of what happened.  It is funny Eric surgery for wisdom teeth would have been very hard for me in the past but an hour surgery seems like nothing now after 13 hours last year.  I still think about that,  13 hours of waiting.  I have never been though anything so excruciating. 

Thanks so much.  Hope you are both doing well. 

Robyn

cmp

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 04:59:01 am »
Robyn,

I'm glad your doctor emailed back with reassuring news about your "baby"  ;D (my oldest "baby" hit legal drinking age this year, and when she gets dental implants put in this August to replace genetically missing teeth, I know I'm going to feel VERY protective--can't even imagine having had to go through an AN with her, as you have...)

I sympathize with your wariness of MRIs (not to mention detesting the experience of getting them!), but everything we know at this time points to them being safe. Considering how expensive they are, after all, they pretty much need to be low- or no-risk for doctors to justify relying on them...

Good luck to Eric--I hope he'll be much more comfort once those wisdom teeth are out!

Carrie

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!