Author Topic: 2 WEEKS POST SURGERY  (Read 6208 times)

calimama

2 WEEKS POST SURGERY
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:11:56 pm »
HI ALL,

sorry this is my first chance in a while to update.

in laws arrived first thing friday morning. a blur of motion ever since.

so i am still suffering from horrible double vision (i had no idea about this!). face is still numb and broken, but otherwise i am  doing well. eye issues make time here tough.

got my staples out on friday. incision doing well thankfully.

seeing opthamologist tomorrow... hoping she can help in some way.

took m first shower (sitting) on my own today. washed and dried hair. amazing what that can do for a girl!

anyway, feeling good and sleeping better. just hoping my eyes straighten out!!

hanging in there....

trish

Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: 2 WEEKS POST SURGERY
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:05:23 pm »
Trish, glad to hear you are doing ok in spite of the recent challeges.  I still don't have full range of motion of my face on the AN side and I had pretty bad vision and attention right afterward, too.  No worries since they all will pass.  Jim said it aptly (haven't had the chance yet to give credit where its due) when he said that its like coming out of a LOOOONG fog.  You will get there.  Despite my issues with the incision, facial paralysis and all that entails (eating, talking, eye not clossing, etc...) I'm getting better day by day.  So, will you.  Give it some time.  Be patient.  Those around ya need patience too.  Have faith and stay strong my friend.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cynthianz

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:07:07 pm »
Good on ya, Trish!  Take it easy and get in those baby cuddles you've been missing.  I go into hosp tomorrow, with surgery Thursday morning and know that I'll be missing my kids so much, but I know they will be well cared for and I'll be home, in whatever form, soon.

What is up with your eyes?  You asked it so well  "I had no idea about this"  - I've read bits here and there, and some folks mention an eye weight.....I have not had double vision or headaches before surgery, so I am hoping to skip any big eyeproblems.  docs told me not to wear my contacts to avoid any further damage and I asked "what damage?"  and they said won't know if any until post surgery.    like you said....i had no idea.

at this point i just double check my bag and have to let it go. 

hang in there, mummy.  will check in with you when i'm out, too......  cynthianz
cynthia morris in auckland, nz
3.3cmX3.2cmX3.2cm solid and cystic AN left. Diagnosed 20 May 2008.
TranslabSurgery 19 June, 2008.  Auckland, NZ.  Will lose all left hearing, Surgeons Christopher Furneaux and Michele Neefe

Psalm 121

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:58:41 pm »
Trish -

it's amazing how wonderful a shower can feel, isn't it  ;D

It sounds like you are doing well despite a few issues.  Two weeks isn't a lot of time in the scope of things.  As Brian said, give it some time and try to be patient - it's not easy, I know.

I wish I had some insight on your double vision.  Although I experienced it post op it went away on it's own in 2 or 3 days.  I remember asking my neurotologist how long it would last and he told me that he honestly didn't know.  I might be one of those things that no one has a concrete answer for, but I think seeing the opthamologist is a very wise decision.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:54 pm »
Hi Trush,
I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.  The double vision sounds tough, but hopefully taking a shower on your own mad eyou feel better.  I have to agree with Jan, it is amazing how much better it can make you feel.  Good luck at the opthamologist.  I hope he/she can help with your eye problems.  Hang in there, I'm sure it will get beter.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 10:21:41 pm »
Hi, Trish:

Wow...two weeks, already?  A shower is really a treat, isn't it?  I'm pleased that you're doing pretty well but the double vision thing does happen.  Like Jan, I had it for a few days post-op but it resolved by the time my hospital stay ended.  I very much hope your's is temporary, which is usually the case.  Glad to learn that you're feeling good and sleeping, too.  I anticipate your next update will have promising news about your vision.

Thanks for the update - and keep moving forward.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 06:58:17 am »
Trish -

I just finished reading a post from Daisy Head Mazy over here http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6596.msg66967#msg66967.  The information she talks about might be helpful to you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 07:44:29 am »
HAng in there Trish.  Once I hit 3 weeks post op I really started feelign (semi) normal again.  I'm now jsut about 5 weeks post op, back to work and feelign wonderful.  You're in my prayers.  Hang in there :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:03 am »
Trish~
How is everything with Cali??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:27:56 am »
Trish-

Hopefully the opthamologist will be able to help with the eye problems.  I am still having to lubricate my eye all day and patch and "goo" it at night.  I am able to go longer during the day now between drops, which is very encouraging.

The numb face thing is definitely frustrating - I'm right there with you.  Patience is hard, but necessary.  I went to a facial therapist several weeks ago to get started on some nerve stimulating exercises.  Your surgeon should tell you when it is okay to see a therapist. 

Ah, the first shower!!!   Total bliss, wasn't it?  Amazing how something as simple as a shower can make your whole day seem brighter.

I know you know this, Trish - but be patient with yourself.  I'm sending you good thoughts and prayers.

Debbi - smiling at you with my left side!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

calimama

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:22 pm »
hi guys...

thanks for your messages of hope and support and good luck with that surgery in NZ!

opthamologist was really of little help. poop.

i am feeling good despite these eyes of mine... at least it distracts from the crooked smile!

will hang in there as you all suggest... what else can i do!

Cali started walking and is cuter than ever. We are reconnecting after my week away. IN laws from Colombia are a great help.

more soon... thanks guys!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:52:52 pm »
Hey Trish

What's the deal with your eye doctor?  Mine was the post-op medical shining star amid a stack of duds.  Has your doctor done anything to protect your cornea?  I had an extended wear clear contact placed in my eye.  It did two things -- it protected my cornea from exposure and it held the goop in place.  Granted I was still dealing with regularly gooping my eye and the discomfort for three months and the moisture chamber, but I do think the eye docs advice saved me from a lot more agony.

And Cali is walking!!!!  That is really fun.  But wait till you see the mischief she'll get into now ;).

Hoping for your smooth recovery.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 10:58:34 pm »
Glad to hear the in laws from Columbia worked out, I remember that was a scheduling issue a while back.

Is the double vision related to any balance issue at all? It could be part of adjusting to that change.

Best to you and Cali,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 07:09:25 am »
Melissa~
I had been wondering about the in-law situation and hoping that it was going well -- I'm glad they have been a help!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cmp

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 09:39:05 am »
Hi Trish,

glad to hear you are feeling a bit stronger and that your incision is healing well. Hopefully your other post-surgical issues will improve bit by bit as well. The double vision sounds awful, though! If it doesn't improve soon, I hope you'll press your opthalmologist for help with the issue, or find a new opthalmologist!

I'm actually wondering, though, whether double vision is a neurological issue or a opthalmologic issue. I don't remember experiencing double vision per se (but my memories from my '89 surgery are pretty fuzzy, as far as the hospital stay goes)--but I do remember that my eyes were moving independently of one another the first few days and it was really hard to look at anything,, much less focus. If something similar is going on with you, maybe a neurologist (or your neurosurgeon) would be an appropriate source of advice?

It's great that things worked out with your in-laws, and how exciting that Cali is walking!

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!