Author Topic: 2 WEEKS POST SURGERY  (Read 6209 times)

lori67

Re: 2 WEEKS POST SURGERY
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 11:11:51 am »
Maybe Cali decided to take advantage of the fact that Mommy can't see very clearly right now to start walking!  Just imagine all the fun things she will be able to get her little tiny hands on now!  She's a smart one!   ;D

Hope the eye issues clear up soon.  I never had the double vision, but I seemed to have my share of eye discomfort.  Luckily, like David, my eye guy was sent directly from heaven.  Absolutely the kindest, most compassionate man I've ever met and he did a great job on my eye, which I suppose it the important part.  Maybe I can ship him out to you.  Or you can come here and I can watch Cali for you - she looks like a good cuddler.  Mine don't sit still long enough for a good cuddle these days.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tamara

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
I am definitely relating to your eye problems.  I am seeing an opthamologist tomorrow and hope to get some temporary eye weights to help.  I had double vision for only a day, but have clear vision on the right paired with blurry vision on the left (due to the drops and gels), and it feels rather like double vision.  Does it help to tape an eye shut?  That's what I'm doing at the moment.  My husband just came home with an eye patch so I don't look quite so scary.

Hope you improve soon - take care,
Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Mickey

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 11:30:38 am »
Hi Trish! Wishing you well! Prayers are with you, Patience time heals all wounds. Mickey

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 01:19:48 pm »
Hi again-

Tammy,I have heard/read all sorts of mixed opinions on patching versus taping.  I've done both.  I llike using the "occlusion" patches that are readily available at drugstores in the eye drop section - they appear to be made for kids, andthey are eye shaped with a non-fibrous pad over the eye - and they look like an eye shaped bandage.  I "de-sitcky" them a bit with my finger tips first because otherwise they stick too tightly to my tender eye skin.  Does that make sense?

Occasionially, for a change, I tape it, using that wide white cloth-like tape.  Again, I desticky it a bit first.  My husband bought some cute cartoon sticky things that you can put over the patch for a snazzy look ...   ::)

I put a ton of gel in my eye at night and then patch it up - always wake up with my eye feeling great.  During the day, I use Refresh Celluvisc and, yes, it makes my vision blurry.  Haven't figured out anyway to correct that.  However, you do get used to it after awhile.

Whatever you do, don't try driving with your eye patched or taped shut - your peripheral vision will be very impaired!

The opthamologist I saw was of very little help with this - hadn't even heard of the occulusion patches. 

I will be very curious to hear more about the removable eye weight. Since I am 7 weeks post and still can close my right eye, I may need to look into that soon.  Would love to hear comments...

Debbi - still sporting the pirate look
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 01:30:05 pm »
Debbi is right - there are a lot of differing opinions on the eye patch/tape issue.  My doctors don't suggest it, so I've never done it.  Their fear is that if the eye opens with the patch/tape on it, you can do more damage to your cornea that way.  My opthomologist didn't suggest it either.  But, I guess it all depends on who you ask.  The main thing is to avoid scratching the heck out of your eye, so however you can do that, I guess that's what you have to do.

I used an eye bubble for a little while at night, but that got old fast and I hated it, so I just lubed up really well and put a humidifier in my room and that did the trick for me.  Then I had the tarsorrhaphy and the tear duct cauterization and was able to lose the humidifier and have actually survived a few nights without gel - only because I fell asleep early and didn't get to put them in first! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 01:33:04 pm »
Hi, Trish:

I'm sorry you're experiencing eye problems and I suspect you may want to find a different ophthalmologist, soon. 

You're right...hanging in there is pretty much your only option but if you can do it with a positive spirit and a determination to get through all this it makes the journey a bit easier.  I'm glad the visiting in-laws are a help and not a burden.  You have enough to deal with right now.

That Calli is walking must be such a joy.  My (adult) son has been walking for over a quarter-century now, but my wife and I can still remember his first, tentative steps.  Even with your AN-related issues, these are good years Trish.  Enjoy them to the fullest. :)

Jim    

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 03:27:44 pm »
I am living proof that I don't EVER want to patch my eye again and I tell EVERYONE who is in that position NOT TO!!!  Patching is the reason that I had to have my eye sewn shut - I would patch it like the Dr. told me and then it would pop open behind the patch and the patch scratched it!!  Of course, this was back before they had all the fancy smancy patching stuff & it was just white gauze and tape!!  The opthamologist was the one telling me to patch and working with me - I think he learned a LOT from me...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 03:59:52 pm »
Trish

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread (I'm having an ADD day), but are you wearing a moisture chamber over your eye?  It's annoying but it helps a lot.  I'd wore it to sleep for the first four months until I started getting movement in my eye lid.  And I wore a black eye patch when I when outside.  It was winter and it helped protect from the dry cold wind and the blinding sunlight.  I can squeeze my eye closed now, so it's not an issue as much -- although I always wear very dark wrap-around sunglasses.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Cheryl R

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
I have been thru 2 surgeries with facial paralysis and of course dry eye and no blink at first.      I have only seen one opthamalogist at 3 weeks past first surgery due to my hospital only gives lt weight tears for day time use.          I had a dry eye spell but no corneal erosion.           After alot of experimenting with various gels I use Refresh Liquigel.          After my 2nd surgery in 2006  that included a facial nerve graft,  I got by just using the Refresh Liquigel in the day time.     My eye eventully did shut on its own but took some time.                I use Lacrilube or Refresh pm gel at night.             At first I used saran wrap and put gel around the inside to hold it on my eye.        I tried other types of patches at  night and then went back to the saran wrap.      Once I improved some I just use gel at night and still do except now on both eyes.            My surgery 2 mos ago did not do facial paralysis but just some slight left side eye dryness.   I rarely even have to use drops in the day on the left and only occ on the right.                 I was encouraged to do the gold weight after the 2006 surgeries. ( CSF leak 2 weeks later) but declined and said I would if I couldn't get by.
I have never taped my eye shut.              I do feel very lucky that I got by as well as I did.
I wish we could take stock in Refresh products!                 One has to be very vigilant in taking care of the eye.
                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Tamara

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
There is a method to the taping, according to my neurologist.  If you tape, pull the corner of the eye to the side to that the lid closes that way, and then tape down. This seals it quite tight, and will protect it.  I'm trying to go half and half during the day, but find my equilibrium to be better without that blurry eye.  So, it is kind of a day-by-day thing for me.  I can close the eye, just not together with the other one, and it doesn't quite close all the way.  I'm only a week post-op tomorrow, so I guess that will have to be good enough for now.  I am extremely interested in the temporary eye weights, though, and see the opthamologist tomorrow morning to ask about them.  I think I'd just feel a lot better all round if I could see a bit better.

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...