Author Topic: Neurology Info on NF2  (Read 3796 times)

Dealy

Neurology Info on NF2
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:33:52 am »
I get a magazine called Neurology Now. The latest issue had a question related to Neurofibromatosis: Question: What is the latest on Neurofibromatosis, which causes tumors to grow on Nerves? Dr. Scott R. Plotkin Responds:

There's alot of new research being done on Neurofibromotosis. Here are 2 areas that I think are interesting:

WHOLE BODY MRI"s

My research team and i are currently studing this technique, in which a person is scanned from head to toe in 45 minutes, and the stations are fused into a single image through sophisticated software. This technique has a number of potential advantages over trasditional MRI's. First, if patients have multiple tumors spread throughout their body, all the tumors can be imaged in a single MRI scan-session. 2nd-these scans can help estimate a patient's overall response to treatment, even if their doctor is treating a specific tumor.

CHEMOTHERAPY
Most Neurofibromatosis related tumors are benign, and their cells don't divide as rapidly as those in malignant tumors. Instead of trying to kill the dividing cells with traditional chemotherapy, we are using novel chemo drugs that can suppress inappropriately activated signaling pathways that cause tumor growth. Researchers are intersted in effective chemo drugs since surgical remover of tumors is associated with risks. Another benefit is that chemo treats the entire person rather thasn one secific tumor.

NOTE: Dr. Scott R. Plotkin is a doctor of the Neurofibromatosis Clinic at the Massachusettts General Hospital Cancer Center in Boston, Ma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Neurology Info on NF2
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:53:35 am »
Dealy -

very interesting information. 

Thanks for sharing it,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:23:37 am »
Wonderful research these scientists are doing.    You & others must be thrilled that there's another option than surgery.
2 days ago at work a young pt. told us his 16 y.o. brother has neurofibromatosis. 
I'm so glad to hear about this.
This news is a great start to the weekend.  Thank you for the info.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tony

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:45:30 pm »
Very interesting - and quite cheerfull news
one question do they mean NF or NF2 ? -
they are marginally different conditions
On the bright side
something that slows down
something that (for some at least)
only grows at 2-3mm per year
just might be good enough
(I dont usually fret too much about
a threat that may take 200yrs to be carried out ?)
basically 99% control is virtually stopped
Best Regards
Tony