Author Topic: Anti Viral meds pre/post surgery  (Read 5014 times)

onceagain

Anti Viral meds pre/post surgery
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:41:09 pm »
I just had translab procedure done on 6/4.  My Dr put me on anti viral meds day before and for several days after.  Nurses were surprised.  Supposedly it protects against shingles type virus from getting activated on nerve(just my guess)   Has any one else had this course of treatment?
1.5cm left side AN removed Middle Fossa 1996
SSD
return of AN 3.6cm 2008

Boppie

Re: Anti Viral meds pre/post surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:10:03 pm »
Many patients have these drugs prescribed to prevent the herpes virus from attacking the facial nerves during the recovery period.

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »
Yes my doctor put me on this protocol post-op but said the medical community is not sure if there is a relationship to helping save facial nerve damage or not. In fact I was under the impression it is sort of a somwhat experimental treatment. I did have loss of facial nerves for about 7-10 days that ocurred about a week after surgery. Steriod treatment did finally resolve the problem but did the antiviral help? Who knows?
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:38 pm »
I believe the idea is to avoid a herpes effect on the weakened nerve that could be Bell's Palsey (temporary but a nuisance).

OTO

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:52:46 pm »
When I had my surgery at the House Clinic, they prescribed FAMVIR (anti-viral med) for 5 days prior to surgery.   There is literature that the shingles virus might "reside" along the facial nerve.   The thought is to prevent it from activating and causing Bell's Palsy issues post surgery.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:39:19 pm »
when i was at House, i was also prescribed FAMIR 3 days before and after my surgery.  i was told it was an experimental thing to see how the drug will affect a successful facial nerve outcome.  The only facial weakness i experienced was inability to raise my eyebrow for 1 week, so i guess it kinda worked? anyway, House is expected to come out with a white paper on this research.  Hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:39:21 pm »
Have personally never heard of this, but it's an interesting concept.

Had a very positive facial nerve outcome - only a little weakness the first day post op but one dose of steroids cleared it up.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 07:45:21 am »
Onceagain:

The pre-op anti-viral treatment is news to me, too.  Like Jan, I didn't have this and had no real facial nerve problems.  However, it's encouraging to know that doctors are attentive to AN post-op complications and working to minimize them.  I'm not surprise that the House Clinic is in the forefront of this experiment.  I'll look forward to reading their report when it's published for general consumption.   Thanks for the heads-up on this new development. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 08:02:09 am »
I was given Valtrex,the anti viral med after my 2001 surgery and only while I was in the hospital.   I did not recieive it with the next surgeries.                 I never did ask exactly why they were using it.       I knew what the med was but was surprised over its use.
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 03:21:45 pm »
Hey Onceagain,

I was put on strong medicines immediately after my both surgeries, each medicine treatment lasting about 1 week - I think this is the right way to prevent any complications. Furthermore, I was also put on IV medicines 3 days before my first surgery – they explained to me that they prepare the brain and the surrounded by the AN organs for the surgery. Plus, I have not had any facial complications.

So need to worry.

Jim, when will the report of House Ear Clinic be issued? I would like also to read it, too.

Best
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 03:35:44 pm »
opps sorry i meant "So NO need to worry!"

;)
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co