Author Topic: When was your "lifting restriction" lifted?  (Read 2754 times)

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
When was your "lifting restriction" lifted?
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:55:49 am »
I am one month out as of this coming Tuesday and the Dr. lifted my lifting restriction yesterday.  I am kind of nervous about it b/c my son weighs 35 lbs--he's only 22 months old and still needs to be lifted quite a bit.  When was your restriction lifted??
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: When was your "lifting restriction" lifted?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:37:41 am »
Nicole:

My doctor never actually said my lifting restriction was rescinded but he did say I could 'resume my normal activities' after three months.  Because I don't have a job or hobby that requires heavy lifting (he asked about that) I assumed that this meant I could exceed the 15-pound lifting restriction, and I have...frequently...without any negative consequences. 

I won't presume to argue with a physician but one month post-op sounds a little premature to begin lifting.  Unless you're a very muscular woman. lifting a 35-pound baby is going to be a bit of a strain.  While stitches usually heal fairly quickly, the skull still has a lot of mending to do.  To be on the safe side, I would let the doctor know your concerns about lifting a 35-pound baby on a regular basis.  He may say that this is no problem - but he may advise against doing it frequently, for long periods of time or at any time.  You won't know if you don't ask the specific question.  I would suggest that you call him on Monday and do so.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 02:50:00 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 12:14:07 pm »
Nicole,

I think on my discharge paperwork it said something about restrictions for 6 weeks.  Like Jim, I don't specifically remember my doctor saying I could go ahead and lift things, but he did say I could do anything I wanted (he was wrong, by the way, because I still can't play the piano... :D).  I think that was at my one month check up also.

I'd ask him about it, since I know how much kids need to be picked up.  I know I was lifting things much sooner than I should have been - and I don't encourage this - but I tend to be a very non-compliant patient anyway. (nurses... go figure).

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:15:19 pm »
Lori~
How do you come up with this stuff?  Your brain must be an amazing thing to look at -- I bet there are wires everywhere!!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:04:20 am »
Nicole,

My Dr. didn't allow me to go back to work for 3 months because I have to lift 20-25 Kilogram (44-55 lbs) packages at work.  At 2 Months though I started a slow work up program with my physical therapist so that at 3 months I would have no problem with 55lbs. 

I had a bad experience after hernia surgery 13 years ago.  My then three year old daughter, the day after surgery climbed up on the back of the couch and jumped and said daddy catch me.  Needless to say I had terrible pain and swelling for days. 

Even though alot of times I don't like to hear what the Dr.s say I have learned to accept what they recommend.  I would say give your Dr. a call and ask.

Dan in Germany 

US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

cmp

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:50:41 am »
Hi Nicole--

I hope you are feeling stronger and more energetic by the day!

Just wanted to chime in with what's been suggested above: Since lifting your son would be frequent/regular activity, it seems really important to clear with your doctor that he's okay with you lifting that much weight so soon! I don't remember even getting any restrictions 20 years ago (thank goodness nothing went wrong!), and was lifting my 12 month old daughter as soon as I could pick her up without us both flopping over--but she was a pipsqueak not to mention half as young as your son. 35 lbs is nothing to sneeze at!

Seems it might be better if you restricted your cuddles to seated ones with him on your lap? Anyway, I'd doublecheck with the doc...
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 09:31:45 am »
Lori -
Coiuld you play the piano before your surgery?  If not, that might explain it!

Wendy

Sorry for hijacking your thread Nicole, I couldn't resist.  I haven't had surgery yet, so I can't answer your question about lifting but I hope you are feeling better.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 09:37:43 am »
No, couldn't play the piano before either, but he said I could do ANYTHING!!!  I think he should have been more clear on that.   :D

Kay, yes, I'm quite sure my brain is an amazing freak of nature.  All the wiring probably looks alot like what's running behind my computer desk at the moment - just a giant tangle that we don't dare move because who knows what hooks up to what!  Ah, well, my brain and my computer usually get the job done, so I can't complain.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 10:49:50 am »
Nicole -

I don't recall the exact number of weeks of my lifting restriction - but I do know it was somewhere between 4 & 6 weeks.

If you are concerned that lifting your son might be an issue, then take it slow.  It's like when my doctor first said I could drive again.  He was quick to follow that statement with "don't start out with a cross country trip; go around the block a few times first and see how it goes". 

So, I'm echoing his advice.  If you have no problems lifting your son, keep doing it.  If you have problems, wait a little while longer.

Good luck,

Jan

Oh, and BTW, guys - I am one up on Lori here, because I can play the piano.  Ha!  :D  In fact I have a piano currently collecting dust in my house, even as we speak.  And K, Lori's brain is wired amazingly  ;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

martyc

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 11:02:40 pm »
Dr. Mastrodimos told me I couldn't lift my 26 pound son for a month.  It hasn't quite been a month, so I am being safe.  I did lift a semi-filled laundry basket and regretted it.  The pain went right to my head, so I'm sticking to my month restriction and letting other do the lifting. 
Hope that helps.
Marty
Marty