Author Topic: swimming with BAHA abutment?  (Read 10272 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: swimming with BAHA abutment?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 04:35:59 pm »
Hey, Shygirl, I am from Olean!  What a small world.  I have a lot of family there.  I've been in Texas long enough to be considered a Texan.  I wouldn't trade the sunshine and heat for the weather Olean gets!!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

shygirl

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 03:24:43 am »
Thanks everyone!

We're shooting for tomorrow (Thurs). I hope we go. He's driving me nuts!!!!! :P I kinda like him, though. So I think I'll keep him. JK ;D

I am very proud of him. He pulled a B average out of nowhere!! He had Fs in math and social studies this last semester.

Oh and Steve...are you taking orders for the hats? If so, could you make mine a light pink? hehe

shygirl

2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 08:42:32 am »
Oh sure, you can pick any color you like. They will all look kind of green, though. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 05:38:54 pm »
Excellent!!!

Green is my favorite color.  When can I expect my hat, Steve?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

shygirl

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 08:31:16 pm »
Steve,

Why will they be green? Are you GREEN with envy because you want a BAHA? Or is green the only color of yarn you have? ;)

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 08:35:55 pm »
Good question, shygirl  ;)

It is a well known fact that Steve has BAHA-envy.  He's admitted it himself several times  :D

I'm thinking if all us BAHA-users sent him a bottle of Dawn, he wouldn't feel so left out.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:58 pm »
The hats are scheduled for August 2009, in Chicago, as previously agreed, and production is right on schedule.

I will begin doing further research on yarn; I was under the impression that all yarn was green, since that seems to be the color of various woolen goods I have received from various aunts over the years. There was a famous quote about the Ford Model T being available in any color you like, as long as it was black, and I was trying for a paraphrase.

As for BAHA envy, yes I have it, although the trouble Jan is reporting in snapping it on has lessened my enthusiasm. The whole point is to be able to whisk the BAHA out of your pocket and snap it on with a flourish, while saying "pardon me while I attach this device to my head."

Steve  ;D
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 10:11:07 pm »
The hats are scheduled for August 2009, in Chicago, as previously agreed, and production is right on schedule.

Are you serious  :o

As for the whisking and flourishing, give me a little time - I've had my processor less than 24 hours  ::)

Lori's had hers much longer - I'll bet she can whisk and flourish with the best of them  ;D

Jan

shygirl

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 12:23:10 am »
 :D :D :D

Ya'll are too funny!  I had to do a search on the "bottle of Dawn". I admit, I didn't get it.  :-[

Heck, I can't whisk OR flourish yet. But I am getting there!

Steve!  Lori can't wait for her hat!! She has a frozen BAHA. She'll freeze her aBUTTment right off!!!! ( I read that on another thread)

We're totally going to Splashtown. I hope it's not as windy as today. Then I'll freeze MY aBUTTment off ::)

Wish us luck!!

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 06:52:08 am »

Steve!  Lori can't wait for her hat!! She has a frozen BAHA. She'll freeze her aBUTTment right off!!!! ( I read that on another thread)

We're totally going to Splashtown. I hope it's not as windy as today. Then I'll freeze MY aBUTTment off ::)

LOL  ;D

Have a great time at Splashtown.  I'll bet your son is very excited to be going!

lori67

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 09:08:35 am »
Shygirl - you are absolutely right!  A hat would really help with my frozen BAHA situation!  I think I laughed my aBUTTment off when I read your post!!

So, Steve, does this move me up to the front of the line for hats?  I was thinking maybe blue....

And Jan, yes, I'm quite a BAHA flourisher....it is much easier to be dramatic about it when taking it off than putting it on...I very quickly yanked the thing off when i was at the dentist getting a tooth drilled - even in the off position, the thing sends enough vibrations through your skull to make you think the dentist was using a jackhammer!  The dentist laughed because it looked like I was doing a magic trick - pulling things out from behind my ear.  TA DA!!!!

Have fun at Splashtown!  Splash your son good for me!!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

shygirl

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 12:59:01 pm »
We had a pretty fun day at Splashtown, yesterday. You would think my son would've been tuckered out after 6 hours of being water-logged, but he wasn't!!!! He didn't want to leave. We stayed until closing and I was so beat by the time we got home (around 7 PM), I fell in the bed and woke up about an hour ago!!! I'm not as young as I used to be. :'(

I didn't splash him, Lori...I figured he was taking quite a beating from the slides!!! 

I suppose I'd better make some lunch.

shye
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07

lori67

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 01:46:22 pm »
I think a whole day of water slides would have done even the toughest adult in! Kids just seem to run on Energizer batteries when they're in a place like that.

But at least he had fun and you got a good rest afterwards!  I guess you really needed it!! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

dpetty

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 01:33:05 pm »
Well i got a cap with the BAHA and another kind that keeps the skin from over growing the abutment, I must have fast growing skin as that little white abutment does keep it where it should.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 01:49:43 pm »
I asked my audiologist about when you'd have occasion to wear the cap that comes with the processor and she suggested that some people might want to wear it when they swim or on other occasions where you might want to "protect" the abutment or may be concerned it will be noticeable to other people.

For example, it's a windy day and you don't want to wear your processor, but know that your hair won't stay in place to cover the titanium fixture.  If you put the cap on - it's the same color as the processor, so it blends in with your hair - the "metal" won't really be noticeable.  Another example she gave me was for those who wear "stuff" (gel, spray, mousse) in their hair.  She said you could style your hair with the cap on the abutment so nothing gets into it and then replace the cap with the processor after your styling is done.

I tell you, those folks at Cochlear think of everything - and I'm quite pleased by that  ;D

Jan