Author Topic: swimming with BAHA abutment?  (Read 10298 times)

shygirl

swimming with BAHA abutment?
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:55:35 pm »
Do I have to wear the little cap thingy that came with the BAHA package? I am taking my kid to a waterpark and I don't know... I'm kind of scared. My balance is still off and I get a bad headache when I get hot. But he really wants to go. And besides, it's his reward for passing 3rd grade!!! I am so proud. Does anyone know the answer to this? I didn't think about it until after the Dr office closed and we're going tomorrow(Sat)

Thanks in advance for advice.

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

sgerrard

Re: swimming with BAHA abutment?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 12:01:18 am »
How long have you had the BAHA? If it has healed up, I would just not wear the BAHA at the waterpark, and not worry about it. But I don't actually have a BAHA, so I'm not sure what the rules are.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

shygirl

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:15:31 am »
I had the surgery in late Feb '08 and got the processor in the beginning of March. It's pretty much healed. It still itches, though. I think it'll be okay, I just wondered if I should be concerned. ;)

Thanks Steve

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:27:14 am »
Your son won't ever graduate 3rd grade again, so I say go for it.

By the way, welcome to the forum, and you are welcome to join in on the book club.

Lori and Jan will fill you in later on their plans for a BAHA accessory kit.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:22:48 am »
Do I have to wear the little cap thingy that came with the BAHA package? I am taking my kid to a waterpark and I don't know... I'm kind of scared. My balance is still off and I get a bad headache when I get hot. But he really wants to go. And besides, it's his reward for passing 3rd grade!!! I am so proud. Does anyone know the answer to this? I didn't think about it until after the Dr office closed and we're going tomorrow(Sat)
Thanks in advance for advice.
shygirl

I have never worn the "cappy" thing ... you can go swiming!!! .. just don't wear the processer  :o
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:38:44 am »
I see you are in Texas, if I am correct?? We lived in the Austin area a total of about 20 years. If you are in central or south central Texas, I bet you are going to Shlitterbahn!??

Have fun. I will be watching for your progress. I may be needing the BAHA - so I am in informatioin gathering mode.

Take care, hug the new 4th grader for me and enjoy the water park for me, too!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

shygirl

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:21:03 am »
 ;D YAY!! we are gonna have so much fun!!! Of course I'll leave the processor at home!! Thanks for the input.

I am originally from New York State. I came down here to TX to be with family as I was the only one left up there since my father died. I live in the Houston area. I can do without the humidity, but overall I like it here.

I gave my son that hug from you, Mary. He looked at me like I've gone crazy!!!LOL  Oh, we're going to Splashtown. It's closer.

Thank you for the warm welcome and invite to the book club!! Gotta go swimming and sliding now!

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07

lori67

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 09:35:00 am »
Definitely go for it and do a big cannonball into the pool!  My doctor said he doesn't even know why they put that cap thing in the BAHA kit because he's never met anyone who uses it.  It's more of a visual thing than a practical thing - for those that don't want the silver part to show. 

Have a blast!  Look out 4th grade!!!  Yippee!!

I live in upstate NY for 10 years.  What part are you from?  Much warmer in Texas, huh?  And at least it won't snow in June!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

shygirl

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 07:47:08 am »
We didn't end up going because my kid has a really bad sunburn. Maybe next week.

I'm from Olean, NY. 75 miles south of Buffalo.

My father died of an aneurysm(CVA). I suppose I'm following in his footsteps so to speak!!! I kind of miss the snow. I say kind of because when you're in it, that's a whole 'nother story!!!

Happy Sunday!

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07

lori67

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:05:20 am »
Yes, I love to hear from Southerners how beautiful the snow is.  They've obviously never had to shovel 3 feet of it from their driveway on a daily basis!   :D

I lived in Saratoga Springs - so I was on the opposite end of the state.  We didn't get as much snow as you, I'm sure.

I hope next weeks water activities go well with your son!  It's never to late to celebrate!  Just put some sunscreen on him this week and tell him to stay in the shade.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:42:25 pm »
shygirl -

Hi and welcome  :)

chiming in late - just returned from camping.  Still smell like a campfire - yuck!!!

Anyway, you say you just had surgery at the end of February and you got your processor in March.  Are you wearing it yet?  I had the implant on 3/4 and won't get my processor until Wednesday 6/4.

Once your BAHA site heals, you don't have any need to wear the plastic cap.  In fact, my doc threw mine out a week after surgery when he took my bandage off and I haven't seen it since.  The processor contains batteries, so obviously it can't get wet - you'll fry it  :D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 03:49:08 pm »
Shygirl:

I'm glad our BAHA wearers were able to answer your question and that you'll be able to have fun at the waterpark with your son - and your BAHA.   I'm sorry to learn the trip had to br postponed due to sunburn, but these things happen.  You'll both still get to go, I'm sure.  He'll hardly just forget about it. 

Graduation through the elementary school grades is kind of fun, for both parent and child.  Even though it's been a long time since my son graduated from third grade (Reagan was president) I still recall the excitement he manifested - and our pride in his achievement.

I've been a Connecticut resident since 1969 but I'm originally from Long Island (New York).  I lived in upstate N.Y. (Glens Falls and an Albany suburb) for a few winters because jobs led me there.  I didn't stay all that long.  It got down to 33 degrees below zero the winter I spent in Glens Falls.  I thought I would never be warm again.  I also spent a few years on the west coast (San Fernando valley, California).  Beautiful weather, but we eventually tired of summer weather all the time.  We missed having seasons.  Now, my wife and I are comfortably settled in the northeast and plan to stay put.  Sure, we dislike the snow and cold but we love the spring, fall and most of the summer (except when it gets too humid and/or hot). I passed through the Texas panhandle once (Amarillo) on the way to California, by car, and liked it but 12 hours, most of them sleeping in my motel, doesn't really give me a true idea of Texas, although it seems like an interesting place with a variety of climates.

I hope you, your son and your BAHA get to go to the waterpark soon and a great time is had by all!  :)

Jim

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 09:57:10 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LID

Transear vs BAHA
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 08:50:30 pm »
Has anyone switched to a Transear after having a BAHA? It seems to me it would be better to have something in your ear rather than projecting from the back of your head. I assume that you can wear a hat with a Tranear and one would not be as self concious with it as with a BAHA.
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

lori67

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 09:47:43 am »
My BAHA is completely covered by my hair, so no one even notices it.  And since I'm not really a hat person, I haven't really had the chance to see if I could wear one if I wanted to.  I will, however, make an exception for the handmade knit hat that Steve will be making me.

I wouldn't switch because I can't stand the feeling of something in my ear.  I can't even wear those little ear buds that come with my Ipod.  My doctor said I have very small ear canals.  I guess it makes up for my very big mouth!  :D

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 10:31:19 am »
Lori -

now who would say you have a very big mouth ???  ;)

LID -

I chose the BAHA for many reasons, but partly because I figured that at my age - currently 46 1/2 - I wasn't yet ready for a hearing aide in my ear.  Call me vain - it's been said before  :D  Or then again, maybe I'm just desperately trying to hold onto my youth.  It's strange but I couldn't imagine wearing something in my ear, yet I have no reservations about something attached to a titanium abutment implanted in my skull  :D  In my opinion, the BAHA is much less noticeable than the TransEar.

My hair covers my fixture very nicely and I'm anticipating that my processor will be covered also, despite the fact that I wear my hair relatively short.  I have seen men with very short hair who have BAHAs and you can see their processor but from what I've heard lots of people think BAHA patients with their fixtures showing are pretty cool  8)

I don't wear a hat very often - usually just when I shovel snow - and I don't intend to wear my processor for that activity, so the hat issue isn't something that will bother me. 

I think BAHA vs TransEar is a personal choice.  Everyone has their reasons for the choice they make.  Just because I chose a BAHA doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone.

Jan (still waiting for Steve's knit hat)

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways