Author Topic: I've Been Bumped Three Days Before Surgery...  (Read 10703 times)

cmp

I've Been Bumped Three Days Before Surgery...
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:59 pm »
 :(

Got a call this afternoon that my neurotologist (Dr McKenna) has been called away on a family emergency, so I've been bumped from my surgery next Monday (6/2). The neuro's office says this is very unusual for him, so of course I'm hoping everything's OK! They won't be able to reschedule me till they can get in touch with him again, and aren't certain exactly when that will be though they hope it's soon, so for now it's waiting in limbo...

I'm a bit confused emotionally, to say the least--a combination of relieved that I can put off the unpleasantness a little longer, and VERY frustrated that the painstaking preparations and scheduling of the past few weeks are totally up in the air now and may have to be completely redone (plus some arrangements that depended on friends'/family members' schedules may be fouled up beyond recovery, grrr...)

So keep your fingers crossed I get a new date (as well as one that's not too far off) pronto!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: I've Been Bumped Three Days Before Surgery...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:05:39 pm »
cmp -

this is very frustrating, but it sounds like the doctor has a very legitimate reason for cancelling.   You wouldn't want him performing your surgery if his mind was elsewhere and I'm certain he'd feel the same way.

I hope you are able to reschedule your surgery soon and that your post op plans fall into place.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:17:47 pm »
Cmp:

I'm sorry to learn of your surgery postponement.  I've been there - and as a person who hates scheduling changes once I've settled on a date for something important (such as AN surgery) I can completely understand and relate to your frustration.  Of course, I hope the 'family emergency' that took Dr. McKenna away from the operating room will be quickly resolved and you'll be back on track.  Meanwhile, do the best you can to put it out of your mind and just live your normal life.  I'm sure you'll have a new surgery date, soon.  We'll be crossing fingers in your behalf (which makes eating difficult - but only if you take it too literally).  :)  Stay positive.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cmp

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:26:57 pm »
You wouldn't want him performing your surgery if his mind was elsewhere and I'm certain he'd feel the same way.

Absolutely! Plus Dr McKenna is a true mensch, so I really do hope everything is OK with him...

The virtue of knowing my date a month beforehand, though, was that I was able to get very very organized in an effort to minimize the impact my recovery would have on my mother/kids/husband, as well as to line up resources, support, etc. It's a bit disconcerting to realize I'm going to have to give up on the fantasy of a perfectly micromanaged unknown and trust that winging it will work...

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:34:21 pm »
cmp -

Sorry to hear you've been bumped, especially so close to your surgery date!  Sometimes the best layed plans fall apart at the last minute.  It think it's something that everyone probably fears and hopes won't happen.  Hang in there and try not to stress out too much.  Sometimes things like this end up working out for the best.  Hope everything with your doc is okay and you get your new date soon.

Best wishes,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 06:36:17 pm »
Oh, that just bites.  I know how unsettled I was having the date move around, but at least mine didn't change the week before.  I hope that they are able to get you back on the surgical calendar quickly - even though it doesn't really help in terms of all the plans you're made.  Makes you just want to scream, doesn't it?  Heck, it makes ME want to scream on your behalf.  Keep us posted, okay?  And, I'll keep fingers crossed.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

oHIo

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:59:41 pm »
cmp
Waiting is by far the hardest part.  When you are emotionally geared to go ahead with surgery, having it cancelled at the last moment would be so difficult. 

I had made my decision to have surgery and was ready to have it done.  When the doctors couldn't get their schedules lined up for 2 1/2 months, I thought the wait would drive me crazy.  If they had had to reschedule, I don't know what I would have done.  (Probably cleaned more since I do that when I am anxious  :D )

Know that we are thinking of you and hope that you are rescheduled soon so the wait is not torture.

cmp

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:31:32 pm »
Thanks all for the supportive words, and for commiserating! (I didn't realize I was in such august company, Jim and Debbi...  ;))

And you're right, Wendy--I think having surgery postponed at the last minute has definitely been in that little "what if?" corner in the back of my mind all along. Guess I should be thankful I didn't actually show up at the hospital at cockcrow on Monday before getting bumped...

Now I just have to turn the adrenaline switch off somehow and try to enjoy the gift of some unanticipated shore leave...  :)

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:52:35 pm »
Hi Carrie,

That's too bad, I'm sure it is a disappointment. i think Dr. McKenna owes you a free upgrade to the deluxe surgery.  :)

Hopefully they will be able to reschedule you soon. I guess you have a little warm up time now, to practice being patient.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:46:46 pm »
Carrie~
Wonder what that upgrade Steve was talking about would include...maybe a HAND-KNITTED HAT????

I hadn't really thought about it for a while but I guess I got bumped too, but it wasn't because of the Dr.'s schedule - I got strep throat the Friday before I was supposed to have surgery on Thursday.  They had to postpone it until the following Tuesday, but all that happened AFTER I flew to Houston for the pre-op (the nurse told me it would be OK!)!!  Crazy...

Good luck on a new QUICK date,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

claire1

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:00:27 pm »
Carrie

I know how it feels to be bumped. Know that everything will work out fine in the end. I hope your doc is all right. It's best it was cancelled, you wouldn't want a dr operating on you with his mind somewhere else. For everything that happens, there's a reason.  Be patient

cmp

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 05:45:02 am »
Ooh, deluxe surgery, I like the sound of that, Steve (as long as it comes with a designer head shave!)

Kay--that must have been SO stressful! Getting sick before surgery is another "what if" everyone frets about and tries to avoid, and you had an airplane flight mixed into the foul-up brew... I can see why you haven't thought about it in a while--who would want to remember such fun?

Claire--I just read your thread and am truly sorry to hear that you were dealt with so carelessly by the doc's office.

Membership in the "I've been bumped" club seems to grow by leaps and bounds...

Thanks again everyone for your kind words--I'm feeling much calmer today, and actually look forward to filling my time with something besides surgery preparations, since those were all done!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 06:42:12 am »
Hi cmp,
  I know how you feel, my surgery date was bumped by an emergency case, and rescheduled for a week later.   Try to enjoy the reprieve.   :)  The surgeons get geared up for the intensity of these surgeries too, so my guess is that they will reschedule soon.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Sammict

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 07:34:25 am »
Hi Carrie

I know how you feel. My surgery has been postponed due to infection I devolped in my eardrum that has to be operated on.

They told me sometime in September after the eardrum heals. I myself made alot of plans with family and work and had to change everything.

I found that everyone around me was very understanding. And everyone here on the forum is great support.

I am sure you will here from them soon. Best of luck.

Sam

calimama

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:04:06 pm »
Hi Carrie,

If it makes you feel any better, i got bumped just 6 days from surgery (moved ahead 3 weeks). It was such a blow at the time (my blood ran cold when i got this news!)...

...but here i am 3 weeks later, with my twice rescheduled surgery now tomorrow. It was a big inconvenience, but in the end, it was not the end of the world and i hope, it was for the best in some way or another.

Anyway, just to let you know many of us have had this kind of setback, are feeling for you, but know that when the day comes, it will be because it is the right time.

Good luck!!!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.