Author Topic: Michigan Ear Institute  (Read 7203 times)

Anomar11

Michigan Ear Institute
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:31:04 am »
Hi Again,

I'd also like to ask a like question re: this place.  I've had some kind replies from those who have gone to MEI for surgery.  Are the docs open to discussing radiosurgeries as option.  Where do they send pts for radiosurgery.   In looking at their site, they seem to be focused more on traditional surgery.  Thanks very much.

Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Re: Michigan Ear Institute
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:25:49 am »
They will discuss radiosurgery with you if that's an option. My Dr. (LaRouere) ended up sending out to Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak for my GK.

Melissa778

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:53:17 am »
I see Dr. Kartush and we are looking at Radiosurgery for the remainder of my AN that he was unable to get during my translab.  Before I (we) decided on translab he went over every available option in detail and the pros and cons of all options.  He made his suggestion as to what he thought the best route was, but left it open for me to decide.  THey are wonderful there......I have nothing but positive things to say about everyone there.  Best of luck to you :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Anomar11

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:49:09 pm »
Scott and Melissa,

Thanks so much for your replies.  I've been away from the forum for a while while I await my first apt. at Mayo Clinic in a few weeks.   I am glad to know this about MEI. 

Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

bre2you

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:10:07 am »
Hi,
I had my AN surgery two weeks ago today---2.8cm tumor on right side.  My surgeon was Dr. Bojrab from MEI.  I would highly recommend him and the MEI.  The first time I met him he said "with God's help and a lot of prayers, we will take good care of you."  So far, so good...

Bridget
Bridget
2.8cm AN removed July 14, 2008
translab; SSD
Michigan Ear Institute
Dr. Dennis Bojrab --- Dr. Daniel Pieper

Pol

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:15:37 am »
I too had surgery in May with Dr. Bojrab--and I will echo the previous glowing reports about him and Dr. Pieper. They are a great team. My case is complicated as I have had 2 GK procedures and have known about the AN for nearly 9 years.

Dr. Bojrab was not critical of the fact that I had 2 previous GKs. I saw 2 other doctors (doctor shopping is so much FUN! ha) who felt compelled to make a point of what a mistake it was (they thought) to have gamma knife. Why tell me that now? It usually DOES work but for some reason didn't for me.

I would highly recommend them. Of course don't know about the other doctors there, but Bojrab is fantastic. He has great bedside manner and is very skilled at what he does. One of the best things is that he often does not use external sutures for the incision. He told us that once the dura is sewn up, the scalp skin naturally comes together. I didn't have external sutures and the scar is barely noticeable. The bad haircut is much more prominent!! Now that it is 9 weeks later, my hair is nearly grown out.

I live in Chicago so had to travel to Royal Oak for the surgery but am very glad I did.

Pol
AN diagnosed Sept.'99; GK Dec. '99 and Sept. '06
Subocciptal partial resection (AN 2.5x 2.2) by Drs. Bojrab & Pieper. SSD right

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »
Polly -

I had no idea you lived in Chicago  8)  I'm in the Chicago suburbs and had my surgery with Dr. Battista from the Ear Institute of Chicago.

I had a great surgical outcome and I'm glad you also had a great one at Michigan Ear.

Those of us in the Chicago area just got a new local support group leader and she's a member of this forum.  Her name is Meagan Casey (user name Meagan).

If you're interested in getting information on upcoming meetings, please contact Meagan and ask her to put your name on the list.  It would be great to meet you.

Jan

Sorry for the thread hijack, guys  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rjo74

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:12:26 pm »
Hello everyone my name is Ron and I am excited to share my experience with MEI.  Dr.Bojrab was amazing it was my second time having the surgery done in fifteen years Feb 5 07  3.1cm  i would recommend MEI to anyone.  They have a new facility in Novi.  I was blessed having Dr.Bojrab as my main physician.  Please give then a call. You can fee free and call me if you have any question e-mail me here.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:16:11 am by ppearl214 »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 06:00:24 am »
Hi, Ron and welcome!  :)

Although I'm sorry to see you've had surgery twice  :(  I'm glad you had a top-notch doctor and facility.

Thanks for giving us your input on MEI.  I've always heard that it's a great place; your email just confirms it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rjo74

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »
I have no doubts they can talk to you about Radio.  I actually have to have Gamma Knife done to take the rest of the tumor off my facial nerve and they talked to me about the radio as well. So they will be able to answer any qestions that you may have. 

Anomar11

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 06:02:27 pm »
Haven't looked at this thread for a while. 
It sounds like Dr. Bojrab is wonderful.  I have also heard great things about Kartush and LaRouere.  MEI has a great reputation.  Thanks to all for the replies.  My focus is now on radiosurgery, and I'll likely go to Minnesota.
Bridget, I like his response to you.  That would have made me feel in good hands.
Pol, I'm glad he respected where you've been and didn't make you feel any worse than you must have felt after GK didn't work twice.  One of the MD's at Mayo speculated that the reason it fails in some people may have to do with their partiular physiology.  The ability to resist radiation might be a good trait to have in other situations but not if you're trying to kill an unwanted tumor.  Anyway, hopefully this will be your last treatment.
Rjo74, I also hope it's your last treatment.  Thanks for the offer to e-mail.  At this particular stage, I'm focused toward MN, but never say never. 
Take care,
Mona