Author Topic: I made it to the other side, I'm a bit unsteady, but I made it  (Read 10150 times)

Melissa778

Thanks much for all the well wishes everyone.  So far recovery has been a bit slow.  LOTS of vestibular issues.  Which I'm sure with time and exercixe I will overcome.  As Jaime updated you my tumor was a messy one, tangled all over everthing in there.  Total of about 7 hours, they left bit behind on the facial nerve to discuss at a later date.  My nausea and dizziness have kept me down quite a bit,  felling better every day.  The incision pain is worst at night it seems, but is progressively getting better.   I'll have sutures for 3 weeks as opposed to some of you lucky ones that got yours out sooner.  No facial disturbaces as of yet.  A small numb spot on the tongue, some taste issues, and a bit of eye dryness. :P
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: I made it to the other side, I'm a bit unsteady, but I made it
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:56:47 pm »
Hi, Melissa!

Welcome back...as a 'postie'! 

I'm sorry your recovery is a bit slower than you'd like but overall, you seem to have come through with few serious issues and should be getting better and stronger every day.  That's our hope and prayer for you.  :)

Thanks for the update...now, get some rest.  We'll be here when you're able to post more.  :)

Jim

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:58:46 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cmp

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 03:11:23 pm »
Welcome home, Melissa!

Yes, the vestibular issues will definitely improve over time. I didn't do formal exercises, but just the daily walks I took (initially with a cane) got me from limbs that didn't seem to respect gravity to my good old fairly sure-footed self. I'm glad to hear the nausea/dizziness and incision pain are improving steadily. And it's great that your facial function is OK!

Hope every day finds you a little stronger!

:)
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 05:28:17 pm »
Glad you're home and on the mend.  The vestibular issues truly improve rather quickly.  I also relate to incision pain at night--and that is better, too.  I had my surgery on 5/9/08 and can't believe how well I'm doing, though it was a rough start.  Get lots of rest and accept all the help that is offered to you. 
Take Care,
Nicole
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Tamara

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:56:14 pm »
Yay Melissa!  Congrats on being a Postie!  Hope things continue to improve for you.

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

oHIo

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:23:10 pm »
Glad to hear you are doing well.  Vestibular issues do resolve, but it is so hard to be a patient patient.  ;)  Hang in there. 

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:17:15 pm »
Hey Postie Mel!

Ya did it.  Way to go.  And it's good to see you back.  Hope you're getting some rest and at home support.  Please tell Jamie she was great at keeping us updated.  As for the balance thing - it does get better.  But if the progress seems too slow -- you might want to check in with a Physical Therapist that specializes in vestibular training.  I went six months before I saw a PT and realized that I was doing the wrong balance exercise stuff.  I'm starting to see some improvement now.  I am so glad you didn't have any facial issues -- I know that was a big concern of yours.

Remember, there is no question to this group that is too silly for a wise answer.

Have a good recovery, Melissa!

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:52:42 pm »
Atta-girl, Melissa!

Things are looking up now. Just think: the first week is the roughest, and now you're done with that.  :)

Once the dust settles, you can see if you need to do anything like PT for the vestibular issues. First though, take some long naps.

See ya later, postie!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:22:31 pm »
Hey, Melissa -  good to see you back!

Jaime did a great job of updating us, but there's nothing like hearing from the postie herself  :)

Things will get better each day.  Rest as much as you can and have patience.

I'm glad things went well.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:31:35 pm »
Hooray Melissa...so good to hear from you! You have been in my thoughts! You go girl!

WOW Nicole...you are really doing well. I am so glad!!!!!! Hooray! :D

Mary

Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

er

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:46:41 pm »
daydreamer,
Congratulations on your out come it sounds you are on your way to recovery please take care and don't over do.
and
Nicole222 @ 5/9/08 Wow!!! Awesome to you too. You also take it easy, and get plenty of rest.

eve.....

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 05:07:33 am »
I love it!  We have a whole "shipload" of new posties!!  Congrats and best wishes and a speedy recovery to all of you!  Remember to not over do and let your body and brain rest.  Get all of the napping in that you can.  Time to wash my pirate sox, for the next "batch"!

Hugs and Warm Wishes,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

kimberly

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 05:46:50 am »
Hey Melissa!!

Congratulations and welcome home!   Good to see you are back!  Did you have the nurse "monika" in ICU - and if so, wasn't she a hoot!  I hope you have a lot of help with your children and remember to take it easy, one day at a time.  After a few days I was really anxious to get out and do things and that came back and bit me in the butt. 

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.  :)

kimberly

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 07:21:32 am »
Good going girls!

Brendalu -

I had to giggle with  the "shipload" reference....after the pirate sox are washed, no need to iron them. ;) - helpful tip o the day from this wench.

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Sammict

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 07:38:05 am »
Hi Melissa

Welcome back it sounds like your the road to a great recovery.

Sam