Author Topic: Waiting Surgery Date  (Read 3318 times)

Sammict

Waiting Surgery Date
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:13:31 pm »
Hi Everyone

I have been waiting around a week for my doctors office to call me with a surgery date. Does it usually takes this long?

I'm not sure if I should call them? I am getting frustrated. I just want to start setting plans in motion. Any one have an ideas for me?

Sam

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Waiting Surgery Date
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:14:43 pm »
Hi, Sam:

We know that waiting is frustrating, so I would call the doctor's office and inquire about the surgery date. The hospital may be unable to give him a date for an available operating room or he may be trying to juggle his calendar but you certainly need to know and, as you indicated, begin making your plans. 

I might remind the doctor's secretary/nurse that you've been waiting a week, this is major surgery and you need to know the date.  This is a very reasonable request.  My neurosurgeon had my surgery date for me within 24 hours.  A week seems extreme.  Be proactive.  Remember, you have the right to be treated with respect, including respecting your time and your peace of mind.

I hope this is resolved quickly.  Please keep us informed.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:40:01 pm »
Sam, agree with Jim..... it is our body and we need to be proactive in our care.  If you are tired of waiting, then follow up appropriately (good ways to be diplomatic yet firm about your need for information).

Hang in there and please keep us updated.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 04:44:06 pm »
Sam -

I agree with Jim and Phyl.

Usually a few things have to fall into place - the doctor or doctors have to coordinate their schedules - in my case I had a neurotologist and a neurosurgeon - plus there's hospital scheduling - OR, anesthesiologist, etc. - but it shouldn't take that long.  It might not be a bad idea to check with the doctor's office.  Afterall, you have plans to make and you need to know a definite date.  I think your doctor's staff will understand that perfectly.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sammict

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 07:06:18 am »
Thanks everyone

I left messages this morning with both doctors. I will keep everyone in touch as soon as i know anything.

Sam

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08:39 am »
Sometimes I don't think brain surgeons realize how scary it is for those of us who have something growing in our noggins!   I had to remind my surgeon's scheduling person at one point that I had a BRAIN tumor!  Hang in there, Sam - and don't hesitate to be a squeeky wheel if need be!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 07:15:20 am »
Sam -

I'm glad to hear you have contacted both doctor's offices. 

I'm sure you'll have a surgery date soon.

Keep the faith and stay strong  :)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sammict

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:49:31 am »
Thanks Everyone

Your advise worked they called me with a date June 18 and they have sent me all the required paperwork in the mail.

I'm not sure i feel any better but at least I can get my affairs in order.

Thanks Sam

lori67

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:31 am »
Sam,

Sometimes it can feel a least a little better knowing that there's one less thing to worry about - and that's the date of the surgery.  Having it not set yet can be very frustrating.

Now you can put that worry behind you and concentrate on getting yourself ready.

Good luck to you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 02:14:50 pm »
Hi, Sam:

I'm so pleased to read that your calls bore fruit and you've been assigned a date for surgery.  It pays to be proactive!  :)

You have plenty of time to prepare so make good use of it.  I suggest having an advocate with you in the hospital, if at all possible.  Someone who will look after your interests (medical and personal) and insure you're not neglected or ignored and have whatever you need.  Prepare for some level of help in the first week at home, following your discharge.  You'll be weak and tired and won't be up to a lot, although you shouldn't be bedridden, by any means.  Still, even a little help with mundane chores will be a great benefit.  I'm sure other posters will offer lots of suggestions on how best to prepare for AN surgery. 

I took the liberty of adding your surgery date to the Treatment Calendarhttp://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments
Please feel free to modify your entry, if you wish.  Also know that you'll be thought of and prayed for by many come June 18th.  We wish you a great outcome!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:04:01 pm »
Sam -

I'm happy to see that your efforts paid off and that you now have a date.

And, Jim, thanks for adding Sam's date to the calendar.  I was going to suggest it to her, but you're one step ahead of me  :)

Jan

Sammict

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 08:52:46 am »
Thanks Jim for entering my surgery date I wasn't sure how to access the calender.

Sam