Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 81969 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 03:31:07 pm »
The shift has changed at the hospital and so I got to talk to the OR nurse and the anesthesiologist. Both reported that he is doing well and they are taking out the tumor as we speak. They have already taken out the "inside" and they are working on the "outside" right now. The monitors on his face have been great and there has been no damage at this point to the facial nerve (a concern of his). I know this can change, but at this point, it looks like all is well with that. Although they were hesitant to give me a time, they said they were thinking he would possibly be out of surgery around 7:00 and that I would receive another update around 5:30. I will, of course, keep you all updated as well. Keep the prayers coming.
Jenni
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 04:04:58 pm »
Prayers flying to you and Brian!  Hang in there - it is almost done...  Brian's AN will join "Ethel" in tumor purgatory!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Mary 117

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 04:13:34 pm »
Debbie,
Hang in there. It's a long day. Take care of yourself. Sending hugs and wishes!

Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 04:17:03 pm »
Hearts and prayers are being sent your way. Thank you for keeping us posted, Jenni!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 04:40:46 pm »
The new OR nurse came out to update and Brian is doing great. They have now removed 1/3 of the tumor and they are now estimating they will be done between 8:30 and 9:00. I should be getting another update around 7:30. I will, of course, keep you all updated as well. Keep the prayers going... only a few more hours left until I can see my honey and watch him resting in his ICU bed. :) I miss him!

What's up with the pirate socks and adventure btw? ;)
Jenni
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Tamara

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 05:03:34 pm »
Jenni,
  Wow, one heck of a day for you!  Hang in there - it's almost done!  You are in my prayers.

Hugs,
Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 05:14:09 pm »
Jenni~
I know that you will just be so glad to see Brain, but know that the first look after such a long surgery can be a bit intimidating.  I think that the thing that bothered my sweet hubby and mom the most was how PALE I was.  Dave said I was literally the color of the sheet.  His sister was a recoery room nurse so she tried to prepare them but Dave said it was still a shock.  Don't want to scare you just warn you!
Prayers still coming your way!

K   
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 05:38:18 pm »
Jenni,

Do you know just how lucky Brian is to have you in his life?  Thank you SO very much for these updates.  I hope you have had some food and I can imagine your appetite is just about out the window about now, but please remember to take care of yourself as well.

Sounds like the OR team is on top of everything and that's terrific they are keeping very in the loop of what is going on. 

Pirate sox.... adventures.... ok.... if you stay in "AN Community" where this thread is... look for the "Good Morning" thread... if you have time, read the first 4 pages of it... it will give you an idea... :)

Signed,
Phyl, the cursed cruise director of the PBW  -- One of many mateys to scallywag Pooter!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 06:56:08 pm »
Brian is out of surgery and in recovery! I have not seen him yet as he is still waking up, but I wanted to update you all. The surgeon was able to get ALL of the tumor. The facial nerve appears to have no damage (but of course we will know more as he wakes up and is able to respond to us). He has for sure lost the hearing in his right ear (but we expected that). All is well though and he will be headed to ICU soon. I will update tomorrow as I have more information. Thanks for all of your prayers and support throughout the day. You have definately been a source of strength for me (just as Brian said you all would be.
Jenni

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 07:09:41 pm »
I am SO happy that Brian is through the surgery!  I can't believe how long it took - can't imagine how you must have felt during those long hours, Jenni.

I'm off to NYU to have my sutures removed tomorrow morning, but will check in here as soon as I can.  Give Brian my best and prayers to you both.

Thank you so much for keeping us updated.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Glenda

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 08:13:59 pm »
Jenni,
You are a wonderful person to update all of us here.  The love you and Brian share is very special.  You are both blessed to have each other.  I am so glad for you both that the surgery is over.  What a long day for you.  Praying that Brian does really well and heals fast.  Try to get some rest and take care of yourself too!
Sending many well wishes your way!
Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 08:32:56 pm »
Jenni -

thank you for updating us all day long.  I'm with Debbi - IMO there's no such thing as too much information - and it was wonderful that you kept updating us - especially with so much on your mind.

I'm glad to hear that Brian is out of surgery and in recovery - and I'm delighted to hear that his doctors removed the entire AN.  I have the same situation as he does - entire tumor removed, SSD (single-sided deaf). 

I'm hoping that Kimberly's surgery also went well today.  I'm anxious to hear how she's doing.

Tell Brian welcome to "postie-land" for me  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 08:36:01 pm »
Jenni~
Give Pooter a big "WHOO-HOO" for me (on 2nd thought - not too loud!!)  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 08:36:32 pm »
Down under is cheering Pooter on.

Thx for the updates Jenni.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

sgerrard

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 10:13:54 pm »
I think that is the first full-blown play-by-play I have seen on a surgery in this forum. Very cool! 8)

Thanks Jenni for making the effort, It is great to have you share it with us. Have a great reunion with Brian, and best wishes to you and the new postie.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.