Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 83220 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #270 on: June 23, 2008, 03:10:43 pm »
Jenni -

found a topic that I started last year regarding parking.  Thought it might be helpful for you and Brian to see what others have experienced post op.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=4009.msg42877#msg42877

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2008, 04:27:57 pm »
Aw, Jim, I just said it MIGHT be.... you never know... ;)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2008, 05:08:12 pm »
HEY! I resemble that remark!   ;)

Thanks all..I do feel proud about the driving.  The parking, well, let's just say I was between the lines on the first try.  I was a *ahem* little bit *ahem* crooked.  It left some to be desired for sure.  I rarely, if ever, did this pre-surgery.  So, it's not a male thing, Lori.  ;)

Jenni:  Even though ya lurk most of the time (except during the surgery), I still love you!  So, I didn't park so well.. At least I got ya there safe!  :P  (Have you let go yet?!?)  When ya get your own account here anyway? ;)

Lori:  I surely hope God doesn't give anyone more than they can handle.  Jenni has been heroic during all this.  As you all know, it's not easy for any of us, but those that support us daily are great too!

Jim:  As usual, a great, thought provoking post.  I would expect nothing less from you.  :)

Jan:  Great link ya sent.  I've been in the lines; just a little crooked sometimes.  That's why Jenni's accompanying me.  ;)

Great being at the office for a few hours today.  I am the IT Manager for my company, so there is no time to sit around most days.  I was a bit tired afterward, but it was good to get back up there.  As stated before, we're like family up there so I, of course, had to make my rounds and get lots of hugs.  ;)  The swelling is down again today, which is good.  Either the wrap or the med (or both) seem to be helping.  Thanks for all the encouragement.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2008, 06:46:10 pm »
Brian, back to the office - cool  8)

Don't overdo it  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2008, 06:57:34 pm »
Jan -

Heh.. I'm only there 4-5 hrs a day this week.  But, at least I'm back there at all.  Thanks!  And, I won't overdo it..  I sit when I need to, walk when I need to, and crash afterwards if I need to.  ;)

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Kaybo

« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2008, 08:28:05 pm »
Jenni~
Glad to "see you"!!

Brian~
Just a thought...when I went back to work - I did 1/2 days at 1st and one day I would go in for the morning and one in the afternoon (I taught so I had to do set times).  I realize your schedule is probably more flexible, but it was good to experience the different times, traffic, etc.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2008, 11:48:48 pm »
Brian and Jenni, sittin' in a tree...  ::)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #277 on: June 24, 2008, 04:09:56 pm »
Goodness, Steve, what a lovely voice you have!  Tenor?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #278 on: June 24, 2008, 06:59:14 pm »
Part of my recovery was spent with my good friend and partner in pirate crime, Capt Marge, who I sailed with for years in the Caribbean.  Twice a day she insisted on laying my head down on the kitchen table, irrigating the incision with hydrogen peroxide, and gooping the thing with a coat of neosporine.  Years of sailing in the tropics with limited access to medical care made us very infection-wary. My incision healed beautifully, nary a leak or a weep. All this talk of folks incisions weeping and leaking and running EEEEWWWW!!!

Pooter,  Hope you are feeling better, and your energy is returning and the headaches are staying AWAY!!!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:01:52 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2008, 11:56:19 pm »
Thanks Deb!  So far, so good.  I actuallly left the homemade bonnet off for 7 hrs tonight and the swelling was still WAY down from where it was.  I dont feel comfortable sleeping without it yet though!   ;)

I'm sad to say that our friend, who's 83 btw, never woke up from the stroke.  They did decide to pull the power on the venthilater on Sunday, but she breathed on her own!  She always had to do things her way anyhow.   ;)  Anyhow, she passed away last night.  We got the call about midnight that she moved on about an hour earlier.  Jenni's headed up there with the 7 year old tomorrow after I go in to the office for a few hours.  Then, I'll work from the house Thursday and Friday and looking after the 3 year old.  Even though driving (and parking thank you!) is good, I don't yet feel comfortable picking up the 3 year old from daycare afterwards and driving home.  I'm pretty pooped after being at the office and have let Jenni drive home.  Anyhow, the funeral will be Friday (the day that my father that only comes to town every few years flies in from PA).  So, I'll be here with the 3 year old Thursday and Friday.  Jenni and the 7 year old should be back either late Friday night or early Saturday.  Thanks for your prayers.  When it rains it pours, eh?

Peace all!

Brian

PS Steve, I actually laughed out loud when I read your post!  The 7 year old asked what I was laughing at.. Of course, I said "Nothing".   ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2008, 07:23:25 am »
Brian & Jenni -

so sorry to hear your friend has passed away  :(  I'm glad that she lived to be 83 though - hope I live at least as long.

Prayers,

Jan

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2008, 06:42:42 pm »
Thanks Jan!  We certainly appreciate it..

I have been gone from here the last couple of days.  I've been sidelined by a headache that won't go away!  I've had it since yesterday afternoon.  Last night it was really bad, and today it's better.  But, between resting and wrestling the 3yr old (Jenni took the 7 yr old with her out of town) and not able to concentrate on anything but this headache, I wasn't able to work from home today.  Hopefully, tomorrow will be different!  Hopefullly I'll be able to work a few hours before my dad and his wife come to town and over.  I dunno if I overdid it going back to the office this week, I'm dehydrated from the med, or what.  Anyhow, sorry I have been gone from here the last couple days..

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2008, 06:46:30 pm »
Brian -

sorry to hear about your headache.  Some days are better than others, although I don't really know why that is  ???

Try to relax and get some rest.  Maybe your dad and his wife can be persuaded to take the 3 year old off your hands to a little while - which might give you a much needed break.

Take care,

Jan

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2008, 07:20:35 pm »
Pooter,

I've got a doozie of a headache today.  I find the weather can really play havoc on the headache meter.  I feel for you.......it's going to thunder soon.......I feel it. :'(

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #284 on: June 27, 2008, 09:40:05 am »
Thanks Jan and Anne Marie!

I still have somewhat of a headache today, but last night was the first (and only) time I ran a fever along with it.  I have contacted my doctor.  Additionly, I'm always cold (with or without fever).  The temp is set at 76 at the house and everyone else is comfy, but I'm freezing.  Especially my hands and legs.  Anyone else have that?  I'm still at home with the 3yr old which is challenging enough.  ;)

Brian