Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 83217 times)

sgerrard

Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2008, 12:50:55 pm »
I just love the image of Daisy doing single pirouettes, and practicing doubles. Who says ANers can't dance?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2008, 01:11:53 pm »
Thanks for the information, Daisy!  I'll have to take them.  Honestly, the soreness is MUCH less today (along with the headaches and swelling).  I really think I was getting dehydrated; I made a point to have more water to drink in the last couple of days (I don't drink enough anyhow).  And, I really think the leaking on the bandage was just the incision finally healing after the swelling came down.  It's been 2 days since any "leakage" was on the bandage.

Cheryl:  I never really saw anything but blood on the bandage.  There was never more than a drop or two.  I don't think it was a serious leak, but rather the incision on that part that was swollen healing finally.

Oh, and I agree with the "off-topic" post.  I'll go a step further and say there are others that are inspiring with their posts in one way or another.  But, the ones you listed are "keepers" for sure.

Brian aka Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Cheryl R

« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2008, 02:06:17 pm »
A serous leak  does not mean it is a serious one.       The incision there can cause some fluid which can be blood tinged at first but as the blood clots, it becomes yellowish and more clear looking.   There are several reason your body produces it.             This is not the best explanation of it and I forget that some people have never heard of it if a dr doesn't describe it to them.   
  Jan, many elderly people do not like to eat meat as their taste buds change when they are older so other forms of protein need to be given to them.                  When they are healthy but may live alone,they do not always cook enough for themselves for various reasons.          I have a healthy mother in law that way.           
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Who knew?
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2008, 02:58:49 pm »
Daisy:

Your generous, encouraging post referring to my messages was unexpected and, frankly, rather astonishing.  So much so that I've sent you a PM to fully express my appreciation and some explanations that would likely bore most of our members, so I decided to keep it private. 

Allow me to offer a sincere public thank you and hope that will suffice, for the time being.   Now, if you'll excuse me....one to beam up!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2008, 05:44:40 pm »
Brian -
Glad to hear you've spoken to you doc and that the swelling has gone down.  I wish you a speedy recovery with no more incidents.  It seems that you've been through quite a lot and have handled it with grace under fire.  People like you , Debbi and Tamara who go through real trials and stay so positive are a reali inspriation.  Wishing you all good things.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2008, 10:35:39 pm »
Cheryl:  I don't think mine was a leak except under the skin.  I didn't leak anywhere.  I noticed a drop or two of blood on the bandage, but I (now) believe it was the incision on that part finally healing after the swelling has gone down.  I haven't seen any blood there in several days.

Wendy:  Thanks!  We alll have been through alot!  Brain surgery isn't a walk in the park.  Some of us have more complications than others (some perm. while others not).  But, we make it.  That's the important thing.  Every time I have a REALLY bad day, a really good day seems to follow very soon afterward.  Like today, for me.  I felt good and almost felt normal again.  Aside from the swelling being up again a little and being tired late in the day, I felt really good.  I try to remain positive, but I have my moments.  I try not to let them show outwardly, but I have them.  Jenni has been through ALOT and I often don't want to burden her with my crummy day or feeling.  I know it will pass.  It always does.  This week I go back to work in the office part time.  Jenni has offered to drive with me this week.  She's off and I could use the extra encouragement in the truck. ;)  I haven't driven very much since my surgery (about 6 weeks now) and she's nervous about me going so far, in traffic, alione.  I don't blame her, I'm a bit nervous too even though I'm excited to get back to the office.  We're a small-ish company of about 200 and we quite literally are like family.  Did I mention that my boss (one of the co-owners of the company) came over to visit me last weekend?  Debbi, Tamara, and the rest of us all have been through alot, but we will make it.  Thanks! :)

Brian aka Pooter...
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2008, 08:49:31 am »
Hey Pooter!

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better.  It's a heck of a trip, isn't it?  I think part of what gets us all through, though, is the ability to see that NONE of this is fatal.  MaryBKAriz posted early today on a CK thread and she put it so very well when she said that the glass is always half full. 

Maybe that is why so many of us on this forum continue to have a good attitude and a sense of humor - we can say to ourselves, yes, I have (fill in the blank - SSD, facial paralysis, Leaky incisions, etc, etc, etc) but look at all the the things I didn't get!  And look at all the other blessings in my life!  You are definitely one of those people.  And, it's okay to have crummy days sometimes!

Debbi - still some leaky spots on my head, too...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2008, 09:27:17 am »
Debbi - Good today so far.  Swelling appears to elevated from it's lowest point and some slight headaches, but otherwise ok.  I'm taking care of the 3 yr old right now and quite possibly the 7yr old too this afternoon.  Jenni left town yesterday.  She got the call that a friend of the family had her 2nd stroke last week (she's really old) and they're possibly removing the venthilator today.  When it rains, it pours eh?  You are right on target about knowing it's not fatal (even though we all feel like it is after the mack truck hits eh?).  Things could be MUCH worse than they are for me and the rest of us too!  We all have those days when we feel crummy and don't think it could get any worse, but among other things this forum helps ALOT.  What are the leaky spots on your head?  Incision finally healing in areas that it previously didn't due to the infection?

Debbi, thanks for being you!  And, thanks to everyone for being themselves.. You all have helped in your own way whether you know it or not.  We all have our support systems.  For many of us, that includes the people on this forum.  Thanks for that!

Brian

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2008, 10:03:24 am »
Debbie & Pooter,

It was the people on the forum that got me through this. I also highly recommend going to support groups meetings in your locale.
http://www.anausa.org/group_meetings.html
The combination of connecting with both can really make a difference in one’s recovery: physically, mentally and spiritually.

Many people were encouraging to me, on this forum, and in my Portland Oregon group.  :)

Now I feel my old self I really feel it is important to “pay it forward.â€? Little did I know this time last year I would be upfront and asking people very personal questions about their “Poopâ€? (constipation  ;)  :D ), caffeine intake, exercise or even answering their personal questions of me. The ANA has a real wonderful family feel about it… where we can talk about these issues. In some case we are lounging on a Sunday morning, in PJ’s, coffee in hand and definitely a bed-head of hair. But hey-appearances do NOT matter here as much as good character, integrity, kindness and goodwill.  I now understand is why people often write in their posts “my AN familyâ€? . The people here understand things my own family cannot- as there is so much empathy - being that so many can say,
   “…been there done that- understand…â€?
Pooter Have fun with those kids this afternoon!

We are going hiking to a waterfall (better pack my earplug or the tinnitus will be tenfold) and our kids are pumped.  I would not have believed, this time last year, that I would be hiking with my kids again. Healing happens…

Cheers,

Daisy Head Mazie

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2008, 10:14:25 am »
Brian -

it's great to read that your really bad days are followed by really good days.  In my experience, you are well on the road to recovery and before you know it the really bad days will be just a distant memory.

Thanks for sticking around post op to share your experiences; they are very helpful to the newbies who join us every day - plus it keeps the rest of us from wondering how the heck you are  ;)

I'm so glad you're doing well  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2008, 11:25:36 am »
Brian,
I'm glad to hear you're feeling good today, although I was sorry to hear about Jenni's family friend.  No one ever said life would be easy or always fun, and we have to do the best we can.  Thanks for your reply and as Jan said, sharing your experiences does help the newbies.  While technically not considered a "newbie" here anymore, my surgery has not yet taken place so in that sense, I am still a "newbie" to myself.  Although reading about some of the experiences here can be a little scary,  they way most people handle them and  are inspiriational, as I have said.  Most of what I've learned here has given me good insight on what I might expect (I know everyone is different though) post-op.  I always feel better about things if I know what could be in store for me. I hope for the best and try to be prepared for the worst.  Trying to see the proverbial glass as half full is something I've always tried to do with a pretty fair amount of success.  I hope you have more good days than bad, more joy than sorrow and a smooth and steady recovery.

Wendy

P.S.  Just feeling kind of philosophical today if that last sentence sounds soppy.
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2008, 11:10:51 am »
Good afternoon all! This is Jenni again. It is true that I lurk here often. Brian will frequently post here, but doesn't always tell me what he is feeling (protecting me I know). This way I know the truth about how he is feeling and he doesn't have to "complain" to me. :) He knows I lurk, so it's all good.

I only have a minute to post, but I wanted to thank you all not only for your continued support of Brian and his healing, but for us as a couple as well. I know it's an odd story, but I hope it all leads to a happy ending. I know right now, I am so thankful for this place in my life. God wouldn't bring me to it if he couldn't bring me through it. Admittedly, I sometimes wonder who God thinks I am and wonder how He thinks I can handle so much, but I guess I will learn that in time.

About Brian and the healing... he is getting better day by day and becoming more of the old Brian I fell in love with over 17 years ago. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to go out of town and left the little one with Brian and all went very well. The house, the kiddo, and Brian were all in one piece when I returned. :) Honestly, I think it was good for the two of them to get that alone time together. Kyle has been missing out on that. Also, I rode with Brian to work today. He drove to the daycare and then to work. He did an AWESOME job driving. I won't report on the parking as of yet. ;) (Hi Brian)! I hope he feels as much pride about the trip as I do.

Happily lurking until next time...
Jenni

lori67

« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:49 pm »
Jenni -

As the saying goes "God never gives me more than I can handle - I just wish He didn't trust me so much!".  I've felt that way many times!

I'm glad to hear Brian's driving went well (phew..).  Parking... well, I have to tell you that my husband did not have brain surgery and still cannot park, so that might just be a male trait!   ;)

It seems clear to me that Brian thinks the world of you, and I would say that you feel the same of him.  Sometimes it just takes a little longer to figure these things out than we'd like!  As long as it works out in the end, I guess that's all that matters!

And I'm sorry to hear about your family friend.  I hope everything worked out for the best with that.

Happy Lurking!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2008, 02:35:43 pm »
Hi, Jenni -

thanks for stopping in and giving us your update on Brian  :)  We've missed you around here.

Don't worry about the parking - I couldn't park between the lines for many months post op; eventually I did it.

Hope your friend is doing better.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2008, 02:41:29 pm »
Hi, Jenni:

Thanks for both lurking and posting.  Your update on Brian is extremely encouraging and well received by those of us who have followed his recovery.  Your commentary on Brian's parking is amusing but, in fact his parking ability (good or bad) probably has little to do with his surgery.  While I respectfully disagree with Lori that parking ineptitude is some sort of inherent male trait, I'll admit that parking a car can be a challenge for both sexes.

Your attitude remains superb and I concur with your trust in God to help you through the hard times.  I have zero interest in having any sort of theological discussion with anyone but isn't it ironic that some folks always think the good times happen because they deserve them but immediately blame God when things get rough?   I don't get that attitude...never have.  That we're given the emotional strength and patience to endure the hard times, especially when our child, spouse or other loved one is involved is a gift that I, for one, both honor and appreciate.  I'm glad that you seem to, also.  Never lose that perspective, Jinni.  It will serve you well.

Stay positive and supportive Jenni and feel free to lurk or post as often as you wish.  After all, you're family, now.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:43:04 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.