Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 83206 times)

kimberly

Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2008, 05:22:03 am »
Hey Pooter -

Im curious if the puffiness went away.  I too get this puffy swollen thing kinda next to and under my ear, but it comes and goes. The swollen area is about the size of a golf ball.    I notice it more in the evenings and attributed it to doing too much activity.  It usually happens every evening.  I haven't called my doctor about it, now I'm wondering if I should.  I noticed that daydreamer posted that she had a similiar issue. 

Thank you,

Kimberly

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2008, 06:32:43 am »
I agree with Jan and Jim - this requires a lot more patience than most of us normally have!  I guess the good news, Brian, is that your surgeon seems to think this isn't an emergency - and that's  definitely good!  I had my own hand-crafted pressure bandage for a few days, too - not sure if I got a pic of it or not.  Basically, it was an ace bandage and a gauze dressing wrapped artfully around my ears/head - designed by none other than Willie.  Maybe we shoudl compaire pictures?

I also agree w/Kimberly that I notice swelling more later in the day - along with other assorted tender spots and random pains in my head/neck.  Everything, including the facial droopiness, seems to get worse when I am tired.  Naps seem to help.   :-\

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Brian...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2008, 11:07:05 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the responses.  The "puffyness" is less today after my homemade bonnet has been on more than not the last couple of days.  Perhaps it was just swelling or perhaps its a CSF leak under the skin.  I dunno, but it appears to be less today.  I also see more movement in my face on the AN side and I have more strenth on that side in general.  I guage it by my typing using my right hand, which was non-existent a week or so ago but much more today/tonight.  Again, progress no matter how slow it may be.  I have another appt with the doc 6/12, and I am aiming to get clearance to drive and/or work at least half a day.. I have a week to progress futher than I have already...  I will update on the "puffyness" as time goes on and what the doc says when I see him next week.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2008, 11:31:13 pm »
You're doing well, Pooter.

Keep up the good work  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2008, 04:26:14 pm »
Brian:

Good to see you steadily progressing.  I'm hoping your June 12th doctor visit brings good news and the lifting of some restrictions...like on driving. 

Thanks again for keeping us updated on your progress.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2008, 11:16:29 pm »
Thanks all!  I am getting better each day; I can "feel" it.  The puffyness is steadily going down.  I am getting more and more facial movement back.  I am getting come-and-go headaches though now.  I don't know if it's associated with the puffyness, the surgery, or what.  I feel like there is alot of pressure in head or eyes when they come on.  Anyone else have that?  I'm getting better (headaches aside) slowly but surely.  Hopefully, I will contnue to get my face back and continue to feel better, and hopefully the swelling and headaches will go away soon.  Being SSD and the tinitus haven't been an issue for me so far, but I haven't been out much.  Perhaps they will be affect me more when I get out more.  *shrug*

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

sgerrard

« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2008, 11:55:31 pm »
Hi Brian,

You seem to be reporting "more and more" facial movement, which is great news, it would suggest that you have the temporary kind of facial issue, which should resolve in a few months. It sounds like you are ready for your first "mall experience," which will be a bit of a shock, but you'll get over it, and it will get better every time you venture out into the world. I imagine the headaches are just part of the big adjustment you are going through.

It is good to see that you are coming along. I know it seems ridiculously slow, but before you know it you will driving to work like everyone else, and wondering why you were in such a hurry to get back to it. :)

Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2008, 10:21:07 am »
Hi Brian,

Good to hear that you can feel that you are getting better each day!  Will be watching and hoping it continues for you - don't over-do, though :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2008, 08:52:37 pm »
Thanks all!!  This is two close-up pics of my homemade bonnet taken a few nights ago.  I just got around to uploading 'em from my camera and using Photoshop to combine them.   :)

www.briandcampbell.com\Images\bonnet.jpg

I have even more movement of my face than is shown, but you can at least see that it's affected for now.  I will post more as time goes on and I get even more.   ;)

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:51 pm »
Pooter -

nice bandage, and you say you made it yourself?  Very impressive - I think you may have a future in nursing  ;)

This is a little freaky, but I have a brother who could be your identical twin  :o  Seriously.  He is bald and with your bandage that covers your hair, you look very similar.

Thanks for sharing.  Glad to hear you're doing well,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

er

« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2008, 10:21:20 pm »
Pooter - you look pretty good for just having surgery.
I still had bad drupe even after 6 months. I do like your bonnet
eve

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2008, 07:33:34 am »
Brian-

LOVE the bonnet!  You look very cool!  Maybe you could have a career in rapping...

Your face actually looks really good - I wouldn't be able to tell there's anythign amiss when you aren't smiling.  ARe you able to get any movement on your mouth?  Can you blink?  (Sorry, I have an insatiable need to know how others are faring with the numbness!)

You look grreat!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

LADavid

« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2008, 09:59:17 am »
Hey Brian
You're looking good.  Especially your eye.  It doesn't look like you should have any problems with it.  Can you close it yet?  And yep, you got that good ol pirate grin.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2008, 10:14:14 am »
Haha...I will pass on the nursing gig, but thanks!!  I feel good today.  I have my 7 year old home with me this week and we're going to a birthday lunch (someone from work is driving since I haven't cleared yet to drive yet).  She's been good and let me lay down when I need to.  She's a good girl..

Thanks to all that said I looked good.  If I don't smile, talk or eat then you can't tell.   ;)

To answer your questions, Debbi:   I get some movement of my mouth.  I bite my upper lip when I eat, but I am able to get around that.  I can blink my eye.  With the exception of the first few days, I don't get dryness in my eye at all.  That's good, I guess.  I have a little numbness on my scalp near the incision, but that's it I think.  Thanks for saying that I look good.  Like it or not, I compare my progress to your own.   ;)

David:  Yes, I can close my eye.  Until I smile, talk or eat (or you see the incision or wrap), you can't tell.  That's good, I guess.  And, yep I definitely have that pirate grin.   ;)

Thanks all!   :)

Brian

lori67

« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:00 am »
Brian, I think you look great. 

You know, if you put one of those "do-rags" over top of that bandage (you know - the ones the bikers wear..sorry still having flashbacks to that Bike Week in Daytona a few years back..) you'd never know anything was wrong!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.