Author Topic: Capt Deb's Neurontin Experiment  (Read 4107 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Capt Deb's Neurontin Experiment
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:43:56 pm »
Hi Folks!
As you know I've chronicled my experience with Topamax in a previous thread. About 2 months ago I decided to give myself a break from the 1200 mgs a day of Neurontin (gabapentin) I was also taking and have a liver panel done as wll.  All these meds I take for headache are taxing to the system and need constant monitoring.  The docs never tell you this--you have to be vigilant on your own apparantly. I slowly weaned myself off the Neurontin over a month period and during the past month my headaches have been pretty brutal.  I have  continuous background occipital pain puncuated by severe pain triggered by any activity, particularly when looking down.  To me that means my occipital nerve is being affected somehow.  I've had a few doozy migraines as well.

Conclusion?  The Neurontin works and I'm going back on it despite the side effects of fatigue and mood swings.

It's also generic and one of the cheaper meds I take.  So any one out there with chronic daily headaches take note--this may be one of the preventative meds you should ask your doc about.

I'll still be taking the Topamax until I cancel my insurance and go on Medicare in June and we'll see about the cost.  If I end up paying full price for it it'll be over $240 a month for the dose I'm on. Goes generic in 2 years, though! The Imitrex injectable is through the roof at $545 a refill of 6 vials. Universal Healthcare NOW!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

danijake

Re: Capt Deb's Neurontin Experiment
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:06:54 am »
Thank you for the news that Neurontin works!! I was wondering, but was too chicken to get off of it. My headaches are only really bad in the morning and at night. Lately they've been lasting all day. I think it has something to do with the chiropractor bumping me down to two visits a week! My neck bones and muscles miss him so they're kicking MY butt!

But seriously, I'm glad the neurontin works.

Dani

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:28:21 pm »
OK, back on the Neurontin, 600 mg twice a day,  and the daily background head pain is down to a dull roar and I can actually go for a walk now. It takes a while to get out of bed, get dressed and get going in the morning, the fatigue is so bad, but it beats having a screaming headache all day and all night.

So much for going off the old meds!  I guess the next experiment will be going off the Topamax when I go on Medicare and lose my prescription drug coverage as I cannot afford the Medicare Part D and don't qualify for any kind of gov't help.  Medicare Part D would eat up my entire disability check. Serves me right for being middle class!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:55:14 pm »
Oh Deb,

Well, the main thing here is your health and to try and get some quality of life. These drugs are a nightmare - cost wise. maybe you need to explore the cost in s.e asia and fly there to top up. Might be worth it? or for that matter, have you tried the internet? would you be able to get them through customs?  just a thought.

I am on 1200 mg a day and it costs me $50 per month after my rebate from my health insurance. Unforunately, I only get 6 of those claims per year so will cost me about $100 per month going forward.

Get your pain under control so you can have some of your life back.

take care

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:57:14 pm »
Hi Deb

When other issues  came up with Chet came up that required super expensive prescriptions (Augmentin for one, OMG) Our family Doctor serious suggested that we check into obtaining
our prescriptions from Canada, in fact he gave me a hand out listing a few of them, which I have long since misplaced.  Anyway to get to the point i did some checking and are you aware that there is a generic for Topamax in Canada that isn't available here, but has gone thru the approval process.  It would take a script from your Doctor, but it may be something to look into.  I am so hopeful that will help you out!!!!!
Google Topiramate

Hugs
Raydean

Here's some prices that I found
  25mg (60 pills)      $53.49 USD           
   25mg (100 pills)    $88.99 USD       
   50mg (100 pills)    $129.99 USD       
   100mg (60 pills)    $98.99 USD       
   100mg (100 pills)    $164.99 USD       
   200mg (60 pills)    $138.99 USD       
   200mg (100 pills)    $230.99 USD       
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:08:19 am »
I'm on Neurontin now and the script is for 90-100mg, I only paid $3.00 but the insurance co was billed $65 and than a $12 dispensing fee.  I do not understand why meds are so expensive.  Remember I'm Canadian so it seems to me that med's are cheaper here in Canada.  It's crazy!!!  These drug companies are make money hand over fist.  It makes me ill thinking about the poor people who cannot afford med's.  I saw a 60 Minutes a few years ago about seniors having to decide to spend their money on food or med's.  It's so sad.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 01:45:58 pm »
FWIW:

My wife is on Social Security Disability and a private disability plan so she has both Medicare and Blue Cross health coverage.  Whatever Medicare doesn't pay, Blue Cross does unless the total exceeds what they would pay as a stand-alone insurer. 

Her doctor(s) prescribed Neurontin for nerve pain relief from spinal issues and her Fibromyalgia symptoms, as well.  She procures her Neurontin via mail order from a U.S. company (Medco) and she pays about $65. for 360 400mg capsules that last her about three months (4 per day).  This seems quite reasonable compared to some of the prices I'm seeing on this thread.  In any case, I thought it would be informative.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.