Author Topic: I've been scheduled for CK  (Read 2370 times)

AJ

I've been scheduled for CK
« on: April 25, 2008, 04:13:09 pm »
I am actually breathing a little easier now.  Folks are not kidding when they say that at times the treatment decision is the hardest part.  Waiting and microsurgery were out for me, so I was left with the CK vs. GK decision.  It wasn't easy  ???
I’ve been frustrated over the fact that there is not a MAJOR determining factor between the two.  I wanted the picture to be clearer for me.  I was even hoping the doctors would say "I strongly recommend this" or "You should strongly consider that". I have to admit that I was scared of this new found "entitlement".  Previous surgeries that I've had were all so cut and dry type things where the doctors told me what they were going to do, they went in and did it and I all was done.  Not this time, nope! Instead I was given homework to research ANs and both radiosurgery treatments for it.  And I'm fortunate for that because that is how I found this AWESOME board filled with AWESOME people.  But most of all, it is how I met a special lady from my neighboring town.  MaryBKARIZ has been with me from the very beginning of my diagnosis.  I finally met her in person at a local AN support group meeting.  I can't thank GOD or fate or whomever or whatever it was that brought our paths to cross.  While I have my husband and my children and all the rest of my family, Mary is the only person in my life that understands my frustrations, worries, anxieties...all of it.  THANK YOU MARY!!!

The "big" days for me are May 28th, 29th and 30th.  I'm being treated at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, AZ.  I have great confidence in my team of medical professionals.  I'd love to hear from any of you who had CK, what your experiences were like and what I might expect on treatment day(s).
2.5cm AN diagnosed 3/25/08 Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Some hearling loss in right AN ear.
Slight Tinnitus and slight imbalance.
CK scheduled for May 28th! Woohoo!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: I've been scheduled for CK
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 05:30:03 pm »
Annette -

Congratulations on reaching a treatment decision.

I, too, know the frustration of having a doctor who wouldn't tell me what to do as far as treatment went.  But in the end I found that he was absolutely right about making me decide for myself. 

It's wonderful that you found us - and that you found Mary!

Don't forget to put your CK days on the AN Calendar so we can all remember to wish you luck  :)

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 06:02:05 pm »
AJ:

Congratulations on reaching the final and most difficult station on your 'AN journey'....type of treatment, who will perform it and where.  It seems as if you've made some good choices.

I trust your CK will go smoothly and with excellent results.  Confidence in your doctors is vital, so you're on the right path. 

That you found another 'ANer' to help you in your journey is wonderful.  Kudos to Mary B!   :)

We'll all be thinking of and praying for you at the end of May (along with a few other folks having radiation or surgery).  Stay strong!

Jim

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:57:56 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:22:14 pm »
Cool.  8)

Barrows sounds like a great place, I seem to be hearing good things about it lately. My week of treatment was consults on day 1; scans 'n' plans on day 2; then a 45 min session under the gentle giant cyberknife arm on the next 3 days. I took one decadron each day after treatment, and drove 40 miles back to a friend's house each day. That was about it.

It is kind of daft that we consult with all these experts, yet the final decision on how to treat our brain tumor falls to the person who knows the least about it - ourself. It is a nice sigh of relief when you are finally able to get it scheduled.

We'll be watching next month for the big week. Best wishes in advance.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 05:58:41 pm »
Hi AJ,

congrats on completing the decision making process.  Barrows is great and you are in fab hands there. I do know of one that I hear from, Shoegirl, on this site, that was treated via CK at Barrows a couple of years ago. If you go to the Accuray website (www.accuray.com), there are Patient Stories there. Look for the blonde, Suzanne... that's our shoegirl!  You can read her success story of her AN and CK.

Well, Memorial Day week is the week to have CK! :)  I had mine Easter week... I fed my CK team an Easter basket filled with sugar, but made sure they ate it AFTER treatment so they didn't get carried away with the buttons while on a sugar high.  At least, in your case, to have it done Memorial Day week, the AN will then (hopefully) have a memorial said! ;)

Again, congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

fbarbera

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:24:02 am »
Congrats on your decision!  I had CK in August 2007 for a right side AN that was just around the same size as yours.  I am happy to tell you that a little more than 8 months out, my right-side hearing levels are the same as before treatment and I am feeling terrific.  The treatment itself is a breeze - you'll walk out each day thankful for the miracles of medical technology.  If you look at my past posts here, you'll see I experienced post-treatment symptoms for a few months afterwards due to inflammation caused by the treatment.  At times these were pretty unpleasant, but eight months out, I'm glad to say much of that has passed and my quality of life is virtually the same as before treatment, with some minor lingering AN-related "sensations" - for lack of a better word - that I expect will continue to fade with the passage of time.  In any event, congrats again for embarking on the road to wellness!  Please feel free to email me anytime to talk more about my CK experience.

Kind regards,

Francesco 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:26:01 am by fbarbera »