Author Topic: Tinnitus Retraining Therapy--ANYONE been helped by this?  (Read 2411 times)

AnAnn

Tinnitus Retraining Therapy--ANYONE been helped by this?
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:37:50 am »
I saw a new-to-me ENT last week who seems to want to be very aggressive in treating every post-surgical problem from my AN removal 8 years ago. He scheduled me to see a psychologist who does TRT, but he is not in our insurance provider's network, so I would have to pay the $250/hour fee for each session and am unwilling to do that, especially since my old neurotologist (whom my health insurance no longer covers--does anyone else hate managed healthcare?) told me that TRT probably won't help me due to complete deafness in my AN ear and about 1/3 SNHL in my only hearing ear (most likely hereditary). But before I dismiss the TRT totally, I wanted to ask if there is anyone out there with SSD due to an AN and fairly severe tinnitus who has actually been helped by TRT?

Thanks,
Ann
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:53:56 am by AnAnn »

tony

Re: Tinnitus Retraining Therapy--ANYONE been helped by this?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 01:59:43 pm »
I saw that there were few/no replies on this one
I wondered if you had looked at the alternatives ?
Basically its always worth trying :
a) an increase, or reduction in caffene (clue: the reduction should work)
b) as above, but sugar/and or alcholol
c) herbal type remedies that are said to "calm"
d) rest/breaks - there seem to be clear links
between stress/fatigue, and noises
I might suggest you try a few combinations of the above
- and see if it changes the issues for you
in that way you will be more in control
- any maybe save $200 along the way ?
Good Luck
Tony

AnAnn

Re: Tinnitus Retraining Therapy--ANYONE been helped by this?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »
Thanks, Tony. I have surely tried the alternatives over the years, but appreciate the suggestions, anyhow. The only help I've found is Xanax, which does offer a little relief when I really need it. Caffeine doesn't seem to affect mine. I drink coffee in the winter months but not in the summer and the tinnitus stays the same. I don't do alcohol at all because of migraines. Gingko doesn't help. Sound therapy drives me nuts, I guess because I already have multiple sounds in my head of my own making. Thanks for the good wishes--I think if my doc were willing to pay for it, I would give TRT a try, but I'm not convinced enough it would help to pay for it out of my own pocket :p