Author Topic: Bi cross aids  (Read 3538 times)

wolfenough

Bi cross aids
« on: April 25, 2008, 03:56:51 pm »
Hi,
I'm wondering whether people who have bi-cross aids can tell me what kind they are and what their opinion of them is. I have SSD from middle fossa surgery a lilttle over 6 months ago and mild genetic hearing loss in the good ear. Savia Art by Phonak was recommended to me and before I invest I'd like information from users! Thank you.
Kathy
Kathy
9mm left side removed 10/02/07
middle fossa craniotomy
Left SSD with reduced R side hearing

Richey

Re: Bi cross aids
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:32:21 am »
I have a new set of savia phonak bi-cross aids for about a month now. I got mine through the VA. They are very high tech aids and work well. The biggest thing I don't like about them is that they are the behind the ear models. Before I had these I had a pair of in the ear bi-cross aids by interton . They worked well also but had a problem with am radio station interference in certain areas. In any case the systems will enable you to pickup the sounds that you miss from your deaf side. You still want have any directional hearing. I am thankful for the technology that we have now and have considered the baha but never could make my mind up to commit to the drilling of a hole in my skull. The big advantage to baha's is that you don't have to wear something in your ears.
  What ever you decide be sure and use someone who will give you a time period to try out the hearing aids to see if you like them well enough to purchase them. They are quite expensive and most insurances want pay on hearing aids.

jlamborn

Re: Bi cross aids
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:47:41 pm »
I've had the Phonak Eleva with the Bi-Cross for over a year now and am really glad I got them.  I ended up totally deaf on the right side from the translab, and my left side was impaired from a car accident which left me with only about half the hearing over there, so i really needed something to get back to work and just function as normal as I could again.  It's true that you dont' get directional hearing back, but they add a depth and some extra clarity to what the hearing aid is picking up.  You can really notice it if you put the hearing aid in first and get that level, then put on the bi-cros one and immediately notice the difference in volume and tone.  During the day, I stay in the bi-cros mode all the time; the only downside being that you pick up a little extra interference from some computers, certain neon lights, and also when you walk through the security bars at the entrance of stores.  Small price to pay, though, for the gain you get.  I love all the modes in mine (mute, hearing aid only, bi-cros mode, t-coil mode, and bi-cros mode with the hearing aid side toned down a little bit.  That one is good when you don't want mute, but what's on the left side is a little overwhelming and you want to still hear it but not quite so loud, like in the car to hear the passenger talk while toning down the road noise from the left window; also at my son's band concerts!
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009