Author Topic: not the 'typical' AN  (Read 3740 times)

nyartist

• New York Artist
    • My Paintings
not the 'typical' AN
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:09:57 am »
My girlfriend was diagnosed with an AN back in January of this year - 1 centimeter, hearing loss, facial weakness on one side, balance problems. The most recent MRI of two weeks ago has shown growth to about 1.2 cm - which is pretty darn fast for a 'typical' neuroma. She is also a breast cancer survivor (18 years ago) and has been told by the best surgeons here in NYC and in the House clinic that the chances for cancer to reappear in the ear canal after 18 years is VERY remote. Still, they are saying that this is not acting the way they would expect a neuroma to act. That brings up other possibilities: viral infection being one of them

She's had  PET scan which was normal and had a spinal tap last week. First results of the tap were also normal but more results are forthcoming. Anyway, because of the growth in the tumor the docs have recommended translab surgery at NYU so she's scheduled there in two weeks. My question is: has anyone else out there ever been told that their mass is not acting like the typical AN?

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: not the 'typical' AN
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:27:47 am »
First of all let me welcome you to our little "club".  My AN was typical, I guess.  I am a twenty-two year breast cancer survivor and my AN was benign.
I had trans lab and so far so good.  Your girl friend has already proven to be a survivor and I'm sure that everything will be fine with this latest twist.  Sometimes i wonder why doctors say the things they do.  I am keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.  Hang in there.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:46:13 am »
This appears to be a triple subject - once under AN Issues, once under Pre-Treatment Options, and once under Microsurgical Options.

Anyone know how to combine these three subjects into one  ???

Just thought it might be helpful so we aren't repeating ourselves,

Jan
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:47:53 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tony

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:18:11 pm »
I see that you must be very concerned
- there is one more "less" worrying option
1.0 to 1.2 mm is well withing the bounds of "error" between scans
depending on a) which machine did it and b) where the patient was lying at the time
I am sure its a good idea to keep close watch on the situation
- it could yet be something quite simple ?
I hope its better news than you may think
Best regards
Tony

marymomof3

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:22:38 pm »
Hi nyartist.  I just sent you a personal message.  Please feel free to call me to chat.
Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

er

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:56:57 pm »
ny artist,

I am  not one with any knowledge, but when they found mine I was told that an AN usually grows about 2 mm a year.
If that helps.
eve