Author Topic: Did Anyone Get Markers Prior to Surgery?  (Read 20159 times)

lori67

Re: Did Anyone Get Markers Prior to Surgery?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 04:32:43 pm »
I didn't have markers for my nerve monitoring, but my monitoring was what I was the guinea pig for, so it wasn't the usual kind.

Debbie, just think of the money you can save on shampoo and conditioner for a little while.  You can use that to buy chocolate or something instead.

And David, good thinking on not wanting to make your doc laugh during your surgery.  You might have wound up with a permanent Mohawk!

Jan, maybe you should save the purple for the symposium next year.  That way we'll all know it's you when we arrive!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 04:40:09 pm »
Well, now that you've all created great mental pictures for me - what with purple hair, mohawks, etc ... I'll be expecting BIG things at the symposium next year.

David, I still think you might have at least colored your buzz cut something interesting ... 

Hey, maybe if I bring some of that temporary hair paint to the hospital, my hubby can paint my hair after surgery - it would keep anyone from noticing how dirty and yucky it will be.  Hmm, maybe I'm on to something here...  I'm sensing a possible business venture...    ;)

Oh, btw, I got one additional piece of info about the "markers" - they are officially called Fiducials.  Doesn't THAT sound important!!

Deb - pre fiducial, pre surgery, pre postie...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 05:10:55 pm »
WOW!  I was only away for a little while and I miss whole pages!!

K  - NEEDING color but can't get it for 3 more weeks!!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 05:26:14 pm »
Hey my AN friends, I've had purple hair, with red highlights.  If you really look closely at my picture you can see it.  I'm expresso now!!!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 05:28:49 pm »
You go girl -- are you a wild woman living on the edge or what??
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 05:41:37 pm »
Maybe we all need to start thinking green - it IS spring, after all...

Debbi - b minus 21 and I'm all a-twitter
2.4 cm Right Side AN

marymomof3

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 06:09:06 pm »
Hi Debbi - I would've responded before... but didn't see this post.  I did not have any kind og marking at my post op appointment.  The only mark I had was just before surgery when the doctor put a mark on my ear lope on the AN side.  Other than that, I never heard of any marking. 

At my post op appointment, I met with a anesthesiologist, a PA and a nurse.  I had an EKD, blood drawn, and some random tests to review my balance.  And you know, the basic take a deep breath while I listen to your heart. 

Please feel free to cal me if you need anything.
Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 08:22:15 pm »
Jan
It's never too old for purple hair.  I was tempted to go into the hospital with a blue Mohawk.  Then I started thinking that I didn't want the doctors laughing at anything when they were fooling around inside my head.  I opted for a marine cut.
David

Awww, David, you're no fun!

The blue mohawk would have been the talk of the OR  ;D

Sounds like something I would have done, if I'd only thought of it!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 08:24:27 pm »

Jan, maybe you should save the purple for the symposium next year.  That way we'll all know it's you when we arrive!

Lori

Great idea, Lori.  But you're forgetting that you and I are both shaving our heads in order to get our knit hats from Steve!  Maybe we can paint out heads purple once we shave them.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 08:27:32 pm »
I did not have any kind og marking at my post op appointment.  The only mark I had was just before surgery when the doctor put a mark on my ear lope on the AN side.  Other than that, I never heard of any marking. 

So, Deb, maybe you are going to be a guinea pig like Lori.

I'd ask for royalties if I were you; Lori missed the boat on that  ;)

Jan

jtd71465

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 04:08:07 am »
Make sure they don't get carried away and start drawing a mustache on you with these permanent markers!

Joe-

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 06:12:23 am »
Make sure they don't get carried away and start drawing a mustache on you with these permanent markers!

Joe-

Well, if they did the drawing after they knocked you out and you woke up post op this way, they could hand you a mirror and it would distract you from everything else that was going on   :D

Jan

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 09:05:26 am »
Okay, so if I am correct, I need
A) an agent
B) a mustache stencil
C) several different colors of dye for head/hair

Joe, I'm thinking that the mustache might help to keep the focus off of my disgusting hair!!

As always, LOL

Waiting to hear back from Dr. Golfinos about the markings... 

Debbi - impatient in NJ
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Boppie

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 09:54:31 am »
In the early morning before I checked in to the hospital, my husband drew an arrow up my neck and pointing to my AN ear lobe.  I put an easy pull off band aid on my abdomen with the words "this side for fat" written on it.  I didn't care how silly or obsessive it looked.

My ear lobe was marked with a purple pen in the OR prep area, just before I went out.  The nurse and my neurosurgeon questioned me and confirmed with me the side to be done.  I signed papers that stated the name of the operation and the side for the surgery.

Kaybo

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 10:58:57 am »
I guess that I had mine done before all of that became an issue...I might get the markers out today, though, just so I don't feel so left out!!   ;D
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!