Author Topic: acupunture  (Read 4561 times)

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
acupunture
« on: April 05, 2008, 02:29:18 pm »
Has anyone tried acupunture?I still have facial numbness&some paralysis.If so did it help.My therapist told me I sould try.So why not.Please let me know.       Teresa
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: acupunture
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 06:26:54 pm »
Hi Teresa:   I did acupuncture for about 9 months;  but I think because my facial nerve was cut then reattached,
it didn't help me - I still had total paralysis.

I would recommend it  - what have you got to lose ?   

At the least I enjoyed going into a deep restful state during it.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

48_Below

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:03:08 pm »
Hi

I had no eye lid movement after 10 months. The surgeon said that it would not get any better. A friend suggested accupuncture. And like nancyann sais what have you to loose. I went to the lady my frined goes to for migraines. She is from china and spoke very little english. im guessing she was anywhere from 40 to 140 years old. super nice.  well after 3 or maybe it was 4 sessions my eye started to blink. 6 sessions in i could close my eye completly or pretty close. its not as fast as my good eye but it still works. i dont know if it was just time for the lid to work or the accupuncture did it. but im quite sure it was her work. my face had 30 to 40 needles in it and about 10 had an electrical stimulator on them. i never did see what i looked like but it must have been pretty freaky. good luck in whatever you decide

neal r. lyons

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 11:36:29 pm »
 Hello Teresa.  I'm going to see a Naturopathic Dr. here in Fairbanks, Alaska on May 6 and will post his recommendations. I'm anticipating that he will recommend acupuncture as ther are a few in the office.  I'll post as to what he says.  I'll have a 1 year post surgery MRI in June, and had some facial nerve recovery during the first several months but nothing appreciable during the past three months.  My r. facial area is numb and the eye closes ok but still does not blink on its own.  Regards, Neal      Had my first of two per week acupuncture treatments today(may 9)  The Dr. told me he had had some very positive outcomes with Bell's Palsey patients but that he has not treated anyone who has had AN surgery.   We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:47:05 am by neal r. lyons »
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

Angela

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:34:47 pm »
My surgeon says I have wasted alot of time and money.  That may be true but I am confident that I did everything I could do in the past 3 years: pray, electrical stimulation, chinese herbs, facial massage, acupunture, and more prayer.  I can look back without any regrets!

Ultimately, I don't know if the acupuncture did or did not work.  But I'm glad I tried!  Now that I know what acupuncture is like, and every practitioner has a different style, I will likely use it again for other issues.
Good luck--
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

neal r. lyons

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:45:38 am »
     I had my last acupuncture treatment last Friday, May 23.  They consisted of six  20 minute sessions.  The first three were without electrical stimulation.  The last three were with the stimulation.  They have not had any effect on my facial nerve.  For that reason the acupuncturist and I decided to discontinue the treatments.  It would appear that acupuncture has helped many with the mitigation of pain.  
     I consulted with Dr. Brackmann at the House Ear Clinic prior to the treatments.  His comments were that it couldn't hurt me but that there had not been any studies to show its worth
(regarding the recovery of the facial nerve)
     That's my report.  At this point I've decided to let Father Time work for awhile.  Best of luck to all.      Neal
     I'm also taking vitamin B 100 complex and had a Vitamin B injection. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:53:11 am by neal r. lyons »
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:18 am »
Teresa,

I did acupuncture both before my AN surgery and after. I had about 6 treatments prior to surgery and was approved for 6 treatments after surgery. I feel that it really helped me. I swear I could feel the energy moving in my body. I experienced a lot of visualizations in my mind during treatment too. I had facial weakness including an eye that wouldn't close all of the way after surgery. It has since resolved and I honestly feel that acupuncture helped prepare me and helped me heal afterwards. Best wishes - Steve
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:49:38 am »
I just started accupuncture for my facial issues last week.  I've had one treatment so far and will have my second one later today.  He's also given me some herbal stuff to take that's supposed to help.

I've decided to give it a try as my last ditch effort prior to having the 12-7 nerve jump done.  I figured it couldn't hurt and I want to try to exhaust all my non-surgical options.  He says you usually need about 10 treatments, so we'll re-evaluate at that point.  My insurance doesn't cover anything like this, so if it doesn't work after 10 treatments, I think I'll quit.  Although I'm going to try to appeal the insurance company, because if this does work, it will save them a heck of a lot of money not having to pay for my surgery.  At this point, if the guy told me to boil some eye of newt in a cauldron in my back yard, I'm pretty sure I'd be wading in the pond down the street trying to catch some newts!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sabuck

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:18:02 pm »
Lori,

I was lucky that my insurance recognizes the benefits of acupuncture. I know what you mean about trying even eye of newt. Ha!  :D
When you are having the treatment, visualize the healing of the nerves and facial muscles taking place. At the risk of sounding too "out there", our minds and bodies can do so much more than I think we realize. Best of luck! -steve
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:54:04 am by sabuck »
SSD post op - left side

cinnamon

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 09:16:50 am »
I have been contemplating doing the acupuncture too. The cost is 75.00 per visit. It has been 22 months since surgery and well I still don't have a smile. I really want to do it but the money is more of an issue to me. I truly think it could work after talking to the doctor that wants to do the treatment for me. So what is realistic as far as visits? I have been seeing a facial therapist for over a year now. When do you stop? I guess when you feel ready. I would definitely like to continue hearing your results and thoughts on the subject. I am trying to figure out the best way to get this dimple in my chin to calm down and not look so obvious.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

sabuck

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 11:14:21 am »
Lisa,
I originally visited the acuputurist try to relieve my tinnitus and headaches prior to surgery for my AN. At that time I only had some occasional twitching around my eye on the left (AN) side and some rare sharp pains. I always felt better after treatments. My experiences varied from treatment to treatment though. She treated my entire body and not just the facial\ear areas. Many times it felt like my arms were floating. I also had the feeling of energy moving in a circular pattern from up one side and down the other. Pretty cool feeling.
After AN surgery I did lose the left side of my face for a while including my left eye that would not close all of the way and a non-working mouth on the left side. I had to do the pirate thing and wear an eye patch. My wife said that I appeared like I had a stroke. I can't honestly say for certain that acupuncture resolved my nerve problems or not. It did not help my tinnitus directly but indirectly it helped me by providing a more calm feeling in my mind and body. My sessions also were $75.00 for a 45-60 minute treatment. I hope this info helps you a bit and not confuse you more in your decision. I understand the money issue. I'm not sure if I would have done it if not for the coverage. For me, I'm glad that I took the treatments. It might sort of be like hypnosis. It works for some people but not others. But then again, that may not be a fair comparison because needles are actually toughing and stimulating nerves in acupunture. It doesn't hurt though to be receptive to the idea of what healing processes that the accupuncture can provide. Sorry to ramble.
SSD post op - left side

lori67

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 10:15:14 am »
Lisa,

I have the dimple in my chin too.  It drives me crazy.

Steve,  nothing sounds too out there.  This stuff has been working for centuries, so who knows.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.