Author Topic: The Weight Wait is Over  (Read 7032 times)

LADavid

The Weight Wait is Over
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:48:38 pm »
After a month, SAG insurance finally came through and approved the eye weight and tuck.  Just trying now to find a good date for the procedure.  I can't wait!

For those of you who have had eye weights, did balance get better with the full use of the bad eye?  It was Jim I think who pointed out that running with one good eye may have been what was making it difficult.  I know depth of field is messed up and I have problems stepping off curbs.  I am still planning to run the Revlon Run in May and really don't want to be weaving around in a pack of 30,000 runners.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

Re: The Weight Wait is Over
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 03:51:13 pm »
David~
That's GREAT - I am so appy for you!!

I hadn't thought about the weight & running but I bet it did help a bit.  Have you tried running in a patch?  I still play golf in one...just wodering if that made a difference?
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Karen

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:53 pm »
Kaybo, How did your surgery go?  Did they put a different weight in?  Do you wear a patch sometimes?  How about swimming?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:27:52 pm »
David- I'm SO thrilled to hear that SAG insurance has approved the procedure.  This must be added to the calendar - hopefully you'll be able to scheudle it soon!

Debbi - B minue 28 and counting...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 05:38:33 pm »
Karen~
Pretty good - I will answer David's question's on the T3 thread.  They did put a platinum chain in, but were planning on the same weight.  He usually goes a little lighter, but since I have had SO much trouble in the past, he thought he might just stick w/ the same.  I swim just like regular all the time -- I have done everything like normal all along & if it gets red, I just put in drops or salve!  I did wear a patch when I played golf after the surgery, but haven't played in a while (will start again when kids get older!) so I don't know if I still would.
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:40:04 pm »
Congratulations, David!  This is good news indeed  ;D

I was going to say that now you'll be able to add your own name to the calendar, but it looks like Deb beat me to it.
You know what they say - great minds think alike.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 11:07:19 am »
Hi David:  Just an FYI:  I went to the oculoplastic surgeon re: platinum eye weight.
Because this doc does it under local anesthesia, there is NO bloodwork necessary, EKG, nothing.
I had bloodwork/EKG in the past with insertion & removal of eye weight,  go figure ! !

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 12:46:51 pm »
Hey David~
I have been meaning to ask you -- are they doing a gold weight or a platinun chain?  What does your doc say about the two??

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 06:21:16 pm »
Hi David,

I have a gold weight in my eye.  I still need to keep it filled with ointment.  I could go back to Liguigel, but I find it easier to do this once a day.  I'm also a runner.  I don't really notice any problems with balance, but I am careful to watch where I'm about to put my feet.  Going downhill is the most difficult.  I'm running in the Indy Mini (half marathon) in the beginning of May.  My goal is to be able to finish.  :-) 

I do wear sunglasses to help with the wind when I run.  That along with the ointment seems to work well.  My eye seems to tear many times after running a few miles, too.

Good luck with your run.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 06:55:01 pm »
Hey Jean
Thanks for the input and good luck with the Half.  That's my favorite race.  You really feel a sense of accomplishment.  I don't know what kind of training you've done but my advice is to keep your pace, keep your feet close to the ground, hydrate, and have fun.  Don't worry, you'll finish.

And Kay, while I didn't discuss it with the Eye Doc, I think I read somewhere that SAG approved a gold weight.  What's the difference?  Uh oh, is it one of those status things? ;)  Seriously, is there something I should be concerned with?

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 08:36:19 pm »
David~
Yeah, what can I say?  I put in my time with the gold and now I am PLATINUN!!!   ;D
 I have no clue -- I really was wondering what they thought or if he'd said anything one way or the other.  Dr. Byrne (who I LOVE, BTW) is more of a "looks" guy -- he wants the BEST look available and he just said it was thinner & seemed to "fit" the eye better.   Make sure and ask!!
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

satman

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 08:24:05 am »
Hi David,I hate to be the bad news guy,so I will only speak of my ordeal.
Congrats on the insurance by the way.
I had the gold and the eye stitch in the corner,I still have to use lube and drops,I would not dare to jump in a chlorinated pool,I can only use perservative free eye stuff,[learned that the hard way].
As far as balance,it made no difference,my DR. said the balance issues are tied to a swollen brain stem,even though the tumor was removed the stem is still swollen and will go down over time.
Just use caution bud,be careful.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 09:35:51 am »
Hey Satman

Thanks for the cautions.  That's stuff I need to know.  I really hadn't thought about the pool thing -- I guess goggles will prevent a problem -- it's good to know that in advance.  My surgery is scheduled for May 2.  Hopefully it will cut down on the sun blindness.
As far as the balance thing -- I've come to realize that my running issue isn't really balance, but more depth of field.  When I run on sidewalks, I have a hard time guaging cracks and curbs.  Last weekend I ran on a track, and it was fine.  And best of all, I didn't feel like my brain was loose in my head.
Thanks again
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 09:58:55 am »
David~
I swim all the time -- I never even thought about my eye -- of course, I put drops or gel in it right after I get out -- I don't have any feeling though so I don't know if it would hurt if I did!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

satman

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 11:58:18 am »
Hey David,goggles is a great idea and then you can test things slowly without jumping in [no pun intended]
I think it's great that your running,that is a huge accomplishment,would be for me.
As far as the sun ,for myself it is still tough.the phrase "never leave home witout it" has taken on numerous new meanings.
sunglasses,lacri-lube,liquid drops,etc...
Depth of Field is a fun thing hugh?
may 2nd will be a piece of cake,I never had swelling,pain,nothing.
what I did get was even looking eyes.you are in my prayers and thoughts.
Be sure to run some for me..
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !