Author Topic: Occipital Nerve Surgery  (Read 23979 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Occipital Nerve Surgery
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 01:16:12 pm »
Always, sweetie!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 02:06:35 pm »
That is GREAT, Janet!!
I hope that it continues to go so well.  Hopefully this is something that can be done to relieve all those that suffer daily with these headaches.  I can't tell you how much I feel for you and have taken for granted that I DON"T have those horrible headaches anymore -- for me, the surgery ended them.  I'd take a paralyzed face any day!!   ;D 

Capt. Deb - I willl be praying for you -- I have missed you ever-cheerful and humorous posts, as I know that you are so helpful to so many here...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

staypoz

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 10:23:45 am »
Janet, this is such good news for you and potentially for the rest of us.  Since there seemed to be several things the doctor addressed, was he -- or are you -- able to isolate what might be a direct result of the AN surgery?  Might the congenital condition he discovered be something some of us have (unknowingly) that might pre-dispose us to headaches post surgery? 

Keep up the healing and sharing the good news!!

And Captain Deb, hang in there. 

staypoz

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 06:49:06 pm »
This week has just been brutal for me.  My head pounds.  Behind my left eye feels like a monster is stabbing me.  In southern Ont we have been hit with three major winter storms in a 7 day period.  This one is suppose to last 36 hrs and dump 50cm of snow on us.  I cannot take it.  To top things off work has been crap, with new policy changes from the newly formed human resources committee.  I feel like the GM is more or less gunning for me because I am a liability because of the neuroma. 

The company I work for was great until the GM retired in Sept.  This new fellow seems to think anyone over the age of 40 should be put out to pasture and if you have a medical condition, too bad, tough luck.  Well I'm over 40, with a medical condition and it seems lately I've had more bad days than good days.  Come most Fridays my head is ready to explode.  Its the pressure and pain behind my eye and temple that drives me insane.  I would never wish this medical condition on anyone, but I would love for the GM to just have one of these headaches.  I don't know if my occipital nerve is involved, all I know is I am really hurting and the stress at work isn't helping me.

My right hand was so itchy this afternoon, does that mean I'm going to win money?  I gave out so money today because the city workers got their retro pay and the pending storm.  If I win money I'm going to the House to have the nerve graft?  I've always wanted to see California. 

I'm going to try some new med now for the pain.  Snowed in and in pain.
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

OMG16

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 07:03:50 pm »
Anne Marie I'm sorry that you are having a rough time I will do a GM headache dance for you and then he will know.  There sure is alot of this sort of thing going on in business lately.  I was just sitting home feeling sorry for myself because I have the flu and I even get the shot every year.  So they had better do a better job with it next year or what is the point.  We can have a cyber sick bed and we can have everyone take care of us and fluff our pillows.  We can just be sick with no worries.  Wouldn't that be nice.  Kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

yardtick

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 08:52:58 pm »

Kisses right back at you.  The med's took the edge off my headache.  Don't worry I'm documenting everything.  One of the nurses my husband works with, her husband is a lawuer and he handles work related issues.  He is going to look over the memo for me.  That should help me headache!! :-*

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

OMG16

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 09:00:01 pm »
I'm glad you have a someone who can help you with that.  I'm very glad that your headache is not as bad now.  If only I could get the snow to stop for you!  I still think we should snuggle in our sick bed and let everyone take care of us.  I'm freezing right now so I need extra blankets.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 09:23:29 pm »
16 & Anne Marie~
"here are your extra blankets, mam...would you like anything else right now?"
"let me fluff those pillows for you and get you a cold cloth for your head..."

Is that good, girls?
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 09:46:29 pm »
That's better can I have some ice water to.  Then I promise I will go to sleep.   ;) 16

rprice

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 05:16:29 am »
I was thrilled to hear about your successful surgery.  After numerous neurologists and scores of drugs, I am thinking that there must be a better solution.  I will be very interested to hear about your progress.  I noticed that you mentioned that your pain was primarily on the opposite side of your head from the surgery.  Was it also on the side of the surgery?  Did the doctor conclude that it was the result of the surgery?  My pain is specifically on the side of my surgery and began seriously about 3-4 months post-op.  I have an appointment w/Dr. Silberstein at Thomas Jeff in May (took me 3 months to get appt.) but wondering if I should consult your doctor in DC.  I live in NYC, so either trip is doable.

Thanks so much for keeping us informed.

Robin

yardtick

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 11:11:26 am »
K & 16,

You are both just too good to me.  Thanks!!  I wonder how Capt Deb is making out with her head.  From what I saw on the weather network this storm system that is dumping 50 cm of snow on me has effected the entire eastern seaboard.  So my sister who is a snow bird in Largo Florida might not be basking in the sun, what a nice thought.  I really do love my sister, honest she is the greatest!!!  My head still hurts :'(

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

OMG16

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 11:59:18 am »
Robin let us know how your appt goes since headaches are a real problem for some of us.

Anne Marie thanks for snuggling with me I'm feeling better today.  It was a rough 36 hours though.  K thanks for the tucking in and fluffing it helped. I am worried about our Capt also.

Capt Deb we have recently weaned my son down on his topamax and it has helped his cognitive level and he is now making progress again.  It does help his nausea, vomiting. dizziness, seizures and headaches, but at what cost is to high?  He has to be able to function.  Keep us posted.  We are worried about you and want the best for you.   

Janet please do keep us posted we are all grateful to you for blazing this path.

Kisses to everyones foreheads.  :-* 16

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »
Here are a few things in reply to some of your questions.

Staypoz, I had migrane type headaches on the left side prior to my right AN surgery. The headaches prior to my surgery were usually behind the left eye. They responded fairly well to Maxalt which works on the vascular system. Knowing what I know now, I think these were being triggered by the left occipital nerve being too close to a blood vessel and not the AN. This causes that behind the eye pain, even though the nerve runs outside the skull, coming from the spinal cord. Maybe it was the head frame used in securing the head in surgery that caused the vessel to pierce the nerve on the left side.  Maybe it was just the result of having surgery that caused a minute change, putting an already too close nerve and vessel together. I was never looking for blame, only relief.

I don't think the congenital defect on the right side was causing my problems. The incisional pain on the right was mostly if I touched it. It always felt mildly inflammed in the general area. I didn't focus on it to much because the pain on the opposite side was such a problem. This was from the lesser occipital nerve in the scar tissue and smaller nerve over the plate.

The occipital nerves are bilateral, as well as the lessor occipital nerves. Maybe I was lucky to have the pain on the opposite side so it could be sorted out from the AN easier.

Occipital blocks, done in a pain clinic, can show where the pain is coming from.  

Deb, I know how difficult it is to be on medication. I couldn't take the Neurontin or Trileptal. Couldn't do simple math in my head or remember details. I found myself sitting and staring. Have you had a nerve block to pin point the source? In my area, the headache neurologist had to send me to the pain clinic department for a block. I know you had a mid fossa approach. Maybe a different nerve is causing this but the occipital nerve runs like a rams horn so maybe it could.

Even before I saw Dr Ducic, I had methodically started to rule causes out.  I asked for a neck MRI and nerve block. I was never offered one but when I asked no one refused me.

Yardstick,
It is bad enough having headaches, let alone trying to convince others how bad you feel daily! I pray that you will get some resolution soon with your head and your job.

I hope I didn't leave anyone's questions out. Thanks for all your comments and well wishes!

PS. I no longer need to sleep with my head elevated! I've been sleeping with one pillow.

Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

staypoz

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 11:45:04 am »
Thanks, Janet!!

Has anyone heard from dmulley re the nerve release surgery? 

staypoz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 03:19:22 pm »
Janet, which surgical approach did you have? I can't remember.  I'm weaning off the Neurontin and should be completely off it within 2 weeks and the only headache med I'll be left with will be the Topamax.  Maybe my brain will unfog a bit! Bleah! My pre-op migraines were pre-dominantly left-sided, but may have switched sides a few times, I don't remember that either! Matter of fact, I don't remember what it's like to not have a headache! Don't that just suck? Ah well--life goes on.  I'm taking Oprah's "A New Earth" online class and learning how to have inner peace in spite of having a failing body. Don't that beat all! God bless Oprah.  So hard to concentrate right now--got new happy pills today--oops that's another thread.......

Glad to hear you are continuing to do well Janet--must be like they screwed a new head right on ya!

Love and hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW