Author Topic: Occipital Nerve Surgery  (Read 23982 times)

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Occipital Nerve Surgery
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:43:16 pm »
Hi All,

I had surgery on Monday for treatment of severe headaches following my AN surgery. My symptoms were pointing to the occipital nerves. Rather than continuing to treat the symptoms with medication, I wanted to correct what was wrong. This is what Dr Ducic, the periphral nerve surgeon, at Georgetown University found and repaired.

Rt occipital nerve:  A congenital malformation, where the nerve split into 2 branches. People with this variation are prone to migraines.
Lt occiipital nerve:  A vessel was piercing through the nerve and the nerve was tight. I think this was giving me the majority of my problems, as my pain was on the 
                           opposite side of my surgery.
Rt lesser occipital nerve: Stuck within the scar tissue from my AN surgery.
Branch of the rt auricular nerve:  Stuck over the titanium plate.

I took pain medication following surgery, but now I am only taking Tylenol. It takes 3 weeks to 3 months to see if the corrections will work. I am sore from the incisions but that is nothing compared to the pain I used to feel before surgery. I am being cautious not to claim success too early. I am very optimistic and am keeping my fingers crossed that the pain doesn't return. I have felt a few twinges of nerve pain off and on but it is short lived and mild.

Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

jerseygirl

Re: Occipital Nerve Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 06:29:32 pm »
Janet,

I sure wish this surgery will work for you! May your days be pain free!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:35:24 pm »
Hi All,

I had surgery on Monday for treatment of severe headaches following my AN surgery. My symptoms were pointing to the occipital nerves. Rather than continuing to treat the symptoms with medication, I wanted to correct what was wrong. This is what Dr Ducic, the periphral nerve surgeon, at Georgetown University found and repaired.

Rt occipital nerve:  A congenital malformation, where the nerve split into 2 branches. People with this variation are prone to migraines.
Lt occiipital nerve:  A vessel was piercing through the nerve and the nerve was tight. I think this was giving me the majority of my problems, as my pain was on the 
                           opposite side of my surgery.
Rt lesser occipital nerve: Stuck within the scar tissue from my AN surgery.
Branch of the rt auricular nerve:  Stuck over the titanium plate.

Janet,
You are the first person whose post I've read that took action to reduce headaches.  Impressive. 

It is interesting to read all of the corrections made. How did you ever hear of such a treatment?

Again, your surgeon sounds amazing and I am hoping for an awesome outcome.

All the best,
Kate
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 07:09:40 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:00:27 pm »
Ditto what Kate says...

Amazing! How did you find out and then get help?

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Janet

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 11:53:10 pm »
I heard of Dr Ducic on this forum! Staypoz had 2 doctors in the DC area referr him.  I sent him my records, he did a phone consult and said he would see me. Last November, I flew from Seattle to DC. Based on his exam, prior tests and response to treatments, he thought he could help and I scheduled surgery for February. Based on his statistics, he said 80% chance of improvement and 20% of no change. Within the 80%, there are varying degrees of relief, including total relief. I felt it is in his best interest to select the more likely successful outcomes to keep his success rates higher.  He does not do the outcome interviews himself. All things considered, I went for it.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:36:57 am »
Janet,
  Here's hoping that the surgery gives you the relief you were looking for.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 08:01:44 am »
Janet~
That is GREAT!!  I hope so much for you that you get the much needed relief that you deserve!  This forum is so good for sharing info and helping us learn of new procedures that might help us!  After being totally paralyzed (no feeling or movement) on the right side of my face for 12 YEARS, I have an appointment with Dr. Byrne @ Johns Hopkins on the 19th to see if I can benefit from the T3 surgery that Nancyann had!!
Happy Recovering,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 12:47:23 pm »
Yeah JANET!!!!!!
All of us here on the "Headache Page" will be watching your progress with high hopes for you! Especially me! I would love to quit taking all of this junk and have a normal, or somewhat normal, life again. Ducic Rocks!!!!
No more of this $%#@:

Hope your recover goes smoothly and you are feeling great in no time!

Big Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 12:50:07 pm »
Janet,

very eager to hear your progress post headache surgery and keeping fingers crossed that it all works out. You are the first I have heard that had this done and will follow this and your progress.

Sending those healing huggles in hopes that this works for you (and anyone researching this type of procedure).

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

OMG16

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 01:00:26 pm »
Janet that is great I will keep my fingers crossed and will wait for further update.  This is very interesting and you may be paving the way for future AN patients and headache sufferers.  Kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Janet

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 11:09:16 pm »
Hi All,

It has been 9 days since my surgery. I am feeling great. No electrical shock type pains or headaches. I can hardly believe it. I am only taking Tylenol for mild incisional pain. I am still taking it easy. I am so grateful.

Thanks for all your well wishes!
Janet

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 09:55:22 am »
Yay, Janet,this is incredibly encouraging! Hope all your days are pain-free!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:02:21 pm »
Uplifting to read.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 12:22:44 pm »
Hi all,
I've been a little quiet lately due to a severe bout of anxiety/depression, but I am seeing my GP next week to get some help. I am convinced that most of the anxiety, depression and cognitive crap i'm going through are side effects of the meds I'm on for headaches..The Topamax was so hard to get used to with it's propensity to cause crying fits and the Neurontin gave me bad fatigue symptoms.  I'd like to detox from all these meds to see what's going on with myself  psychologically and to see how bad the headaches are without the meds.  Janet is our little guinea pig for us long-term headache sufferers who are sick to death of the toxic effects of the meds. She is also our very brave HERO for taking this huge step.  Thank you, thankyou, thankyou, Janet!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:49:58 pm »
Deb,
At work today... will call you on my next coffee break, if you are up for it..... :-*

xoxoxoxo
Your cursed cruise director
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"