Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407657 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1755 on: July 03, 2011, 06:36:30 am »
trying to pick a book to carry to camp with me for the odd moment I can read ... have dozens I haven't read yet and nothing appeals to me ... may just look at trees and rocks ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

HeidiC

« Reply #1756 on: July 03, 2011, 10:51:46 am »
trying to pick a book to carry to camp with me for the odd moment I can read ... have dozens I haven't read yet and nothing appeals to me ... may just look at trees and rocks ...

LOL I look out the window at the scenery from time to time and my kids always ask what I am looking at.  I guess they think I am odd for watching the wind blow through the trees and the birds fly by!
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1757 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:12 am »
Heidi -

as your kids get older you'll find you have more time to read - and to do a whole lot of other stuff.  My twins are 15 1/2 and I call these the "taxi years" because it seems like I'm always driving someone somewhere; lots of times it's not even my own kids!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #1758 on: July 06, 2011, 10:07:11 am »
@K- I'm also trying to get through The Invisible Bridge and haven't been gripped by it. I hope it has a good ending. A bit depressing but I'll finish it.
Thanks for the tidbit for easier reading, Priscilla. I'll try that author. Need something cheery and funny!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

cindyj

« Reply #1759 on: July 06, 2011, 12:31:36 pm »
Though I do enjoy a Dean Koontz now and then, as well as the Twilight series. Shhh, don't tell anybody I've read through the Twilight series a couple of times!  :-X   ;D

I will have to check out some of the ones mentioned above!

Me, too ;)  Though, only read them once...but, have seen the movies too ::)

Am reading Ken Follet's Fall of Giants right now...while it's a pretty long book, it is rather light reading...it's just ok - nothing very original and just not a lot of substance to it, I don't think.  It seeems especially "light" after the book I finished right before it - Aztec - WOW, what a book...so well written and such a good story.  However, it had some very, very graphic and disturbing scenes in it - very much a historic novel also, which I love, but know many of you here don't care for...

Think I will get back to some Jodi Picoult next - have heard that Nineteen Minutes is very good.  Only read a few of hers, but My Sister's Keeper has been favorite so far...

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1760 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:58 pm »
Finished "Still Alice", which was recommended by Lori.

It was a sad story, but I'm glad I read it.  I wasn't aware that Alzheimers could effect people as early as their 50's.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #1761 on: July 10, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »
Oh, I'm glad you said it was about Alzheimer's - don't know if I can do it...lived it... :'(

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1762 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:54 am »
I have a wonderful book for all of you...don't know if it has been mentioned before.  A real page turner.  Sarah's Key.  It's difficult in parts...deals with the French Occupation during the war and the story of some wonderful people and some difficult struggles.  A wonderful book.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Soundy

« Reply #1763 on: July 11, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »
I took a book with me to camp "Behind The Ocean of Time " by George Mackay Brown  ...it was an odd book ...this boys bounces through time in his dreams ...as he does he goes back through time and forward in time on the little island he lives on ...and real time goes by too and he grows up ... he is a prisoner of war during WWII and returns to the island to find it all but destroyed by landing strip built to land fighter planes  ...it mixed fact and fiction and was a quick read ...set on fictitious island of Norday in the Orkney Islands of Scotland ...

since I didn't have TV or radio to drown out tinnitus I was up and down off and on all night... I would read til I was able to fall back to sleep ... I had the book under my pillow and a flash light so I could pull it out without moving around alot ... made me feel like a kid hiding under the blanket with a book when lights were suppose to be out ... day time hours were spent making sure kids got to where they were suppose to be and accounted for ... free time I spent walking , canoing or in craft house ... so worked out ...read some and also got in my staring at tree time

Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1764 on: July 24, 2011, 10:19:35 pm »
I have a wonderful book for all of you...don't know if it has been mentioned before.  A real page turner.  Sarah's Key.  It's difficult in parts...deals with the French Occupation during the war and the story of some wonderful people and some difficult struggles.  A wonderful book.
~Dale

We talk about Sarah's Key somewhere in this thread - I think we even picked it back when we were using this thread like a book club (we all read the same book by a specific date and discussed it). 

It's a fabulous book.

Jan

Soundy

« Reply #1765 on: July 25, 2011, 09:05:37 am »
we went to the library's simmer book carnival and the first stop each year is the books that you can get for one of the tickets you have earned ... both girls had about 60 tickets ... Sarah for a 1941 copy of Lassie Come Home that someone had donated ... I read it Saturday night ... it was a good simple book that was nothing like the Lassie TV series of my childhood (which I thought a bit much even as a kid  ... one kid could not run into as much trouble as Timmy did) ... that has been the extent of my reading ...distrated too much to read anything that requires much thought

or maybe I need something that I can get into and get distracted from life a bit ... I don't know ...still have yet to read Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes ...  I have also put off Paula Sharp's , I Loved You All ... and then there is Tolstoy on the shelf collecting dust ... War and Peace already  read twice .... and the ever unread but pretty leather bound edition of Anna Karenina that I have been going to read for the past 35 years or so ...I have good intentions  ;D or I wouldn't have drug  it around all these years
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #1766 on: July 25, 2011, 03:43:01 pm »
We need to do the real book club thing again...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #1767 on: July 28, 2011, 04:24:27 pm »
I second that ... I read just about all the time ... sometimes several books at a time ... I don't have many close touchable friends that read ... it is nice to read and compare thoughts on books with others here and get recommendations on new books to read ...

I did crack open Nineteen Minutes ... maybe I will finish it this time  ;D
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #1768 on: August 07, 2011, 06:48:09 pm »
I just read Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children ... Jacob grows up ensnared in his grandfathers tales of an island home where he escape the Holocaust while the rest of his family dies ... there are children with all sorts of powers their with him  ... and the grandfather talks of killing his monsters which people take to mean the people he killed when he joined the service and went to war  ... when the grandfather dies , Jacob goes to the island and learns about his grandfather and that pretty much all his grandfather told him was true ... it was a quick easy read ... it is one that I was reading for school approval... and I give it

the author used a collection of old black and white pictures that illustrate the story and make it believable ... I am assuming he had the pictures first and developed his characters and story  around them. ..

sadly Nineteen Minutes is still collecting dust  :(
Translab July 2 ,2007

sterry

« Reply #1769 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:20 pm »
My friend Craig Johnson has a series of Mystery books, starts with the Cold Dish, this summer he released Hell is Empty, great characters set in Wyoming.  A&E did pilot they may release this year based on the books, we are keeping our fingers crossed.
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well