Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407707 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1740 on: June 02, 2011, 07:55:18 am »
trying to read House of Sand and Fog between day camp prep and getting kids summer things lined up ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1741 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:31 am »
That's a good one!  Lots of food for thought.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1742 on: June 16, 2011, 04:15:59 pm »
Took a few suggestions from Lori.

Started to read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, but didn't get past the first chapter  :(  Just couldn't get into it.

So I decided to try Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult - I'm almost finished - and I really like it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #1743 on: June 17, 2011, 07:38:09 am »
my son gave me Terry Goodkind's ...The Law Of Mines ... can't get into it

been re-reading James Harriot ... I have read them so many times that I have had multiple copies of the books ... they are like old friends and sooth me ... alot going on and the known comfortable books calm me down  ... my husband says I am weird he reads what he has too , the news paper and his farm books ... he just doesn't get reading for pleasure
Translab July 2 ,2007

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1744 on: June 17, 2011, 07:55:45 am »
I love James Herriot!  His stories are so poignant, and some of them are laugh-out-loud funny. Definitely worth re-reading. I am reading, or trying to, Geraldine Brooks' new one, Caleb's Crossing.  It is a bit slow going for me, and I am surprised because I have loved all her other books.
Priscilla
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1745 on: June 17, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »
Try Distant Hours by Kate Morton.  All her books are wonderful!
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #1746 on: June 19, 2011, 03:51:17 pm »
Anyone read Jilly Cooper?  I'm reading her latest in paperback Jump, very funny, pure British humour.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

G_Man

« Reply #1747 on: June 26, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »
For all you Rock and Roll fans out there I'm going to reccommend "Life" by Keith Richards.  It's everything you would expect it to be and more.  I'm only 1/4 the way through but it's pretty good.  Keith starts from his early days as a child and all the poverty that went along with it.  You begin to realize why the Stones are so cut throat now when you read how Keith had 0 in those days.  Fair Warning:  It's a pretty long book.  The audiobook is almost 24 hours.  One of the things he talks about is how they were working with the Beatles to try to each squeeze the most out of the charts back in the 60's.
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

HeidiC

« Reply #1748 on: June 27, 2011, 06:31:22 am »
Took a few suggestions from Lori.

Started to read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, but didn't get past the first chapter  :(  Just couldn't get into it.

So I decided to try Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult - I'm almost finished - and I really like it.

Jan

Jan,

I really like Jodi Picoults books.  My favorite by her is Nineteen Minutes.  Its very thought provoking, with the usual twist at the end that you find in Picoults novels.  I'm usually behond though since I rarely buy the books new and wait till I can find them used!

Are there any authors similar to her that you enjoy?

~Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

Soundy

« Reply #1749 on: June 27, 2011, 09:46:07 am »
I really like Jodi Picoults books too ... have Nineteen Minutes but have yet to read it ...may start it next ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1750 on: July 02, 2011, 04:43:56 pm »
I read Jodi Piccoult on occasion and really liked My Sister's Keeper and Salem Falls.  I've read a few others I liked - titles escape me at the moment.  Will have to add Nineteen Minutes to my wish list @ Amazon.

Have read a few good books lately. 

The Circus Fire by Stewart O'Nan a true story about one of the biggest, most devastating circus fires that happened in Ohio in 1944.   Usually not my type of book (non-fiction) but I found it very interesting; very sad, but very interesting. 

The Judgment by D.W. Buffa - a type of legal thriller.  I like the way the author writes and I thought the plot was very well thought out.

The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes, which I found hilarious and kind of wacky.  I've enjoyed other books by her; The Last Chance Saloon and Rachel's Holiday come to mind.

Today I finished The Beach Trees by Karen White.  Liked it alot.  I've read two other books by her - The Memory of Water and The Color of Light.

Since it's a lazy holiday weekend, it's hotter than hell outside, the mosquitoes are horrendous, and both my kids are out with friends, I'm going to take advantage of the air-conditioning (now that our power is back again - 2nd time it was out for a day or two in the past 2 weeks due to storms; UGH) and the peace and quiet and start a book by another author I enjoy.  Jennifer Weiner.  Book is called Little Earthquakes.

Hope everyone who loves to read finds some time to crack open a book or two this weekend.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #1751 on: July 02, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »
Little Earthquakes is good but took a bit to get into it.    I read  another by Jennifer Weiner that never could quite get into it and haven't finished.   Can't remember the name but have it here somewhere.    I love reading but am not a big book person like used to be as this dang computer keeps calling my name.                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1752 on: July 02, 2011, 05:30:09 pm »
I admit to reading lighter, less brainworthy books in the lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer.  ;) I really like Sophie Kinsella for a fun read. She always entertains me.
Priscilla

HeidiC

« Reply #1753 on: July 02, 2011, 06:14:59 pm »
I used to read several books a week, but then I had kids and reading kinda went to the wayside.  Now that they are 5 and 6 years old I am finding a little more time to get a chapter or two in.  I have to admit, I used to read mostly romance novels, but once I got married they didn't really interest me anymore for the most part.  Now I tend to enjoy more of the 'literary novel' genre, like Jodi Picoult.  Though I do enjoy a Dean Koontz now and then, as well as the Twilight series. Shhh, don't tell anybody I've read through the Twilight series a couple of times!  :-X   ;D

I will have to check out some of the ones mentioned above!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:19:34 pm by HeidiC »
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

Kaybo

« Reply #1754 on: July 02, 2011, 07:47:07 pm »
OMGoodness, Ms Priscilla!! I didn't know you read Sophie Kinsella - have we talked about this?? My favorite book of hers is "Can You Keep a Secret?" H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!!!!

And Jan, I love JW, but the last One I read of hers, I couldn't get into...I'll have to try again.

FINALLY, today, I finished "The Invisible Bridge." I can honestly say that I have NEVER spent so long reading a book. It was interesting & well written but just didn't "grip" me. Probably a little toouch history in there for me too. Of course, lots happened to me in there (& I just didn't read after my surgery -just didn't want to & prob texting too much too!) & I read several books at the same time!! Glad I read it, but even more glad to be finished - all 758 pages of it!!

Gonna check out some of these - have the JP 19 one now from library...

Happy reading!
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!