Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407674 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #780 on: December 02, 2008, 07:35:02 pm »
Y'all peaked my curiousity - I checked out Outlander today from the library!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tisha

« Reply #781 on: December 03, 2008, 04:08:40 am »
That's great Kay!  Just remember, the first 60 pages or so it seemed slow to me, and I couldn't figure out what the hubbub was about....stick with it until she "travels", then it gets really good!  Hope you enjoy it!  Let us know.

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Tisha

« Reply #782 on: December 04, 2008, 04:25:25 am »
Hi!

I don't think Outlander is on the next list, I didn't know the rules of this thread when I popped in to plug Outlander (my VERY favority book of all time).  The author is Diana Gabaldon and it SHOULD be on the list.  LOL!

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #783 on: December 04, 2008, 08:12:24 am »

I love this series of books!  They have everything...a little romance, adventure, history...  I have really liked the way she pulls you into her stories.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #784 on: December 07, 2008, 09:04:42 am »

I love this series of books!  They have everything...a little romance, adventure, history...  I have really liked the
way she pulls you into her stories.

Priscilla

When I read the first one it sucked me in and I had to finish it and the n go track down the others...

another book that sucked me in and made me finish it was The Thorn Birds ... I read it in 1980 when pregnant
with my twins and have read it about every 16-18 months since then...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #785 on: December 23, 2008, 06:20:42 pm »
Hey all!

Looks like it's been awhile since anyone has visited the Book Club...busy, busy time, but I just finished this book that I wanted to let you know about in case any of you are looking for a good read for the new year - ya'll may have mentioned it previously, sorry if so.  It's 1000 White Women by Jim Fergus.  It takes place in the frontier days, not normally an era I enjoy reading about, but this was really very well written and a great story - one of those that I hated to see come to an end.  Some very thought-provoking issues as well. 

(Soundy, Thorn Birds is one of my favorites as well - I've read it several times!)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #786 on: December 23, 2008, 07:18:05 pm »
I am in the middle of Outlander right now & got the 2nd book yesterday so I could go right to it but 1000 White Women sounds like something I would like!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #787 on: December 24, 2008, 01:38:38 am »
I just finished PS I Love You.  Nothing like the movie.  I enjoyed the movie, but it was a real hatchet job.  I'm hoping to get The Stone Cutter's Wife from Santa ;)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #788 on: December 24, 2008, 09:35:05 am »
I just started reading the last Christmas Ride , A book my 9 year old bought at the school Santa Shop
before school let out ...she bought it because the cover was nice ...eerily one character has a
brain tumor ...

It is about the lives of 5 children growing up in Northern Alabama not far from where I sit ... they have an
ideal life and taking frequent  horse back rides and have great imaginary adventures as children ...but grow up
and go on to their own lives... two brothers are killed in car  accidents and the third brother develops a brain tumor..
the two sisters take care of him in his last days and at his request give him a last Christmas ride on his beloved
horse... a throw back to when they were kids and would go on the Christmas Ride to the furthest edge of
property to find the perfect tree

Sad but good story so far... a learning experience for the sisters... based on the true story of Edie Hands life growing
up and the last days of her brothers life

I like this quote from her Grandma Alice...

While our ride through life has it'd rough places , we can do much good
along the way if we live by faith and rely on our families

applies to many of us here...

http://www.ediehand.com/books/books_lastchristmas.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:47:01 am by Soundy »
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jan D

« Reply #789 on: December 24, 2008, 12:51:48 pm »
I just started "1000 White Women".  It was in my step-daughter's book club and she got it for me to read.

Looks like a good one - written in a diary format, which I like.

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #790 on: December 24, 2008, 02:34:13 pm »
It is a busy time, isn't it?  I wish all a very Merry Christmas and a really good 2009!

Thank you for the lead, Cindy. I, too was not one for that time period but I am learning I like more things than I thought. In the last year I have read "John Adams", "1776" and now "Team of Rivals". All of these I thought I would have to be tortured before I read them, but after having one recommended and reading it, I am hooked. I also felt that about the novel, "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett - back in the 1100's.....and I loved it. I am going to get "1000....Women", next.

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

cindyj

« Reply #791 on: January 05, 2009, 06:30:12 pm »
Hello All!

Just finished Twighlight - can't decide how I feel about it...so wondering if any of you have read it and what your thoughts are.  I was encouraged by many teenage girls to read it, so finally did.  It was a very quick read, despite being quite a long book, and the premise was interesting...you really have to "buy into it" though.  I'm hooked and will read the 2nd in the series as soon as my friend finishes it.  I did eventually find someone about 20 years older than me who had read the whole series and said she loved it, so I don't feel quite so odd about reading it.  Anyway, was just curious to see if any of you have read it/them. 

In the meantime, I've started another Harlan Coben book - thanks again, Jan, for letting us know about him! 

Anyone get finished with 1000 White Women yet?  I'm still thinking about that one!

Mary, I loved Pillars of the Earth - that really is my favorite time period to read about!

Do we have a new book to start for the "Club" yet or are ya'll in the middle of one and I missed the memo about it?

Happy New Year!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #792 on: January 05, 2009, 07:53:40 pm »
Cindy~
I kind of think we are on a hiatus - not from reading, just as a group.  What Harlan Coben book are you reading?  I've read several of his (thanks Jan).  I also have Twighlight but haven't read it - same thing, I don't know how I feel.  However, my SIL that recommended The 13th Tale (which everyone seemed to LOVE on here) says she loves the Twighlight books too...we'll see.  I finished Outlander and loved it and have the 2nd to read of that but am trying REALLY hard to read a companion book about my new camera.  As I have said MANY times I HATE non-fiction, but I am proud to say that I am on page 123 in this book - snaps for me!  I have cheated & started Firefly though...Maybe I'll get to Twighlight... (it was a bit strange when I had it in the car one day to start in the pick-up line & when Addi got in she said, "Why do you have this?"  I replied to read and she told me that one of her friends read it!  That was a 1st!)  We'll get going on here again when things even out again...I think...

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #793 on: January 05, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »
Hey Kay,

I know what you mean about the Twilight book.  I teach 5th grade reading, and one of my former 5th graders, now a 7th grader, came by to see me. She asked if I had read the Twilight series and when I said that I hadn't, she brought the entire series to me so I could read them!  That's a first for me-I'm usually the one pushing books on kids! :D :D  I'm only on book 2, but it is an easy read.  Went to see the movie with my daughter today.  Don't think it would have made much sense to me if I hadn't read the book.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #794 on: January 05, 2009, 11:13:21 pm »
I bought my daughter (7th grade; soon to be 13) the Twilight series - 4 books - about 3 months ago.  They are really big with girls her age, but I have no desire to read them - not really something I'm interested in.

I haven't read anything great lately.  I finished Wally Lamb's book The Hour I First Believed and was extremely disappointed in it.  It was long and drawn out; I was sorry I spent $30 on it  :(  I really liked his other books (She's Come Undone and I Know This Much is True) and this book was long awaited so I was really excited when it finally came out.

I'm almost done with Society's Child, Janis Ian's autobiography, which I'm finding interesting in spots. 

A good friend of mine sent me The Lace Reader and I'll probably read it next.  She really liked it and we usually like the same kinds of books - although she likes historical stuff and I don't.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways