Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407761 times)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #750 on: November 14, 2008, 06:55:40 pm »
The Pizza pne.  Is that too sopn? I just threw out that day.

Mary 8)

Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #751 on: November 14, 2008, 08:49:33 pm »
K -

would love to keep discussing Just One Look, but I've read several other books since I read it so I guess I'm just not into discussing much.

Am sitting out the "pizza" book.  I'm almost done with a book called "Time of My Life" and will be moving onto Wally Lamb's "The Hour I First Believed" since Amazon just shipped it to me today.

I'll try to get in on the book after "pizza".  Hope you all enjoy reading it.

Jan

BTW - I think K needs another turn as "queen" since this discussion was rather short.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #752 on: November 14, 2008, 10:00:32 pm »

I don't think it is too sopn for reading the Pizza pne.   ;D

Sorry, Mary, I couldn't resist, I had to read your post about five times to figure out what you meant. My eyes refused to make words out of it.  :)  It also took me a while to figure out that you were referring to the day we should read it by; I thought maybe you had a bad day and decided to throw out the whole day, which seems like it would be a nice option to have sometimes. :)

I must confess that I never did read Just One Look, but I will try to read Playing for Pizza by Dec 1st.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #753 on: November 15, 2008, 06:52:08 am »
I have been busy and about half sick and not really discussing things ... I have already read Pizza and will
skim through it again before discussion

Mary 8)

I was reading that and trying to figure where a spoon figured in it all... had to do a re-read to get it right...I
thank spell check before each post I make... my fingers don't seem to know where the letters on my
keyboard are anymore  and they can't remember how to spell remeber  :D ..always leave out that second M

I grew up an ARMY brat and my grandparents were kinda strangers I wrote to religiously and and saw
occasionally... my MIL lives about 1000 feet from my door and I have seen her twice in last 5 years to speak
to her although my girls see her almost daily... when some of her bad points begin to rub off on them I limit
time they spend there... my 9 year old tells me she can't help being like she is... ( that makes me giggle) ... I took
her son away (yep 1000 feet  away) ... I am too old for him ( 4 years older ) and heaven forbid I birthed two
girls for him ( he donated the sperm that made them female) ...

when the girls came home crying 5 years ago because she had said if I was gone Bo could have the sons he needs
to help on the farm I lost it and told her where to get off and haven't looked back... for me she largely doesn't exist
the girls thought I was gonna die or leave or we would trade them for boys ... So near by relatives are not always
a plus... my husband told her to keep her opinions to herself or she would not be seeing the girls except when he
could sit there and monitor the visit which with the farm work he has to do would be a rare occasion
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #754 on: November 15, 2008, 08:47:14 am »
LOL Steve - "I don't think it is too sopn for reading the Pizza pne.   ;D"

I have to laugh..... that should teach me to REREAD what I wrote. I could see if the red line was there. Sorry about that, just have to keep you guys on your toes! ;D

Mary 8)
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #755 on: November 15, 2008, 06:30:15 pm »
Cheryl, I hope you like it.....I haven't started it but have it ready when I finish my current book.

Mary 8)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #756 on: November 16, 2008, 12:27:43 pm »
Cheri,

Can you taste the food?
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #757 on: November 16, 2008, 12:40:08 pm »
I just love his descriptions of the food - maybe because I've been there, maybe because I love food, maybe because I'm easily influenced - who cares.  I could literally taste and smell the foods he wrote about.  Oh, and the story was good too...  ;)

Mangiamo!
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #758 on: November 16, 2008, 09:51:38 pm »
It was hungry reading ... I like making lasagna with ricotta cheese stuffed in there and small chunks
of tomato,pepper and onion in the sauce ... but my kids and husband prefer it ricotta and chunk
free  :( ... no accounting for their taste...

I have also forged ahead and read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime , The Woods and I
am currently reading Marley and Me with a bit of the Brain that Changes It's self thrown in ...what
can I say ...I have been on edge the past week and books sooth me ...  :)

Cheri...... I remember my Grandmother and two aunts having similar competitions with desserts and fancy
cassaroles... a few of us almost made ourselves sick each holiday trying to take equal amounts of each specialty
to help keep the peace ... and they weren't even of Italian bloodline ...just enjoyed their food ...both
making and eating it ...

and in the case of one aunt , making beautiful art cakes ... bunt cakes with a doll poking out the top with  a hoop skirt
dress of super fine icing that looked like lace ... bunny rabbits in a nest of coconut grass ...  a tree once that looked
right out of Swiss Family Robinson with vines ,ropes and walkways all made of frosting and marsipan... only problem
was no one wanted to cut into them ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #759 on: November 30, 2008, 07:08:01 pm »
Ready to review Playing for Pizza?????? ;D

Mary 8)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #760 on: November 30, 2008, 07:43:36 pm »
Are you hungry for some good Italian food and a nice glass of vino?
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #761 on: November 30, 2008, 07:52:33 pm »
YES! ;D

Kaybo

« Reply #762 on: November 30, 2008, 09:23:15 pm »
I guess I will sit this one out - I never seemed to get the book... ???
Enjoy!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #763 on: November 30, 2008, 10:20:11 pm »
K -

I'm sitting out right along with you; didn't get the book either.

Maybe we'll both join in on the next one  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tisha

« Reply #764 on: December 01, 2008, 08:06:45 am »
Well, I couldn't resist pushing my very favorite book of all times.  I've pushed it on several people who have since called me and THANKED ME profusely, along with being mad at me because they can't get anything done reading this book

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

It's basically a historical fiction set in 18th century Scotland.   It has everything in it, and defies description.  It has a romantic element, a little stretch of the imagination, etc.  It's wonderful.  It's BIG----640 pages.  The first 60 pages didn't grab me, I could set it down easily and wondered why my friend insisted I read it.  Well, after the heroine gets to where she's going, I couldn't put it down and read the remainder in 3 days.  It's a series.  So, if you love it like me...there are 5 more books.  If it's just OK to you, it has a ending that you can live with on it's own.

Another suggestion...a series that I loved that I think Men will love.

The Camulod Chronicle written by Jack Whyte.   The first book is The Skystone.   

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys