Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407658 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #630 on: August 29, 2008, 05:37:59 pm »
So, any final decision on the next book?

I just started another Harlan Coben, but it's going to be a long weekend, so I'll probably have it finished by Monday and will be looking for another book to start.

Jan
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:19:13 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieE

« Reply #631 on: August 30, 2008, 06:00:59 am »
I was under the impression we were going for Black Wave next.
Are we moving on?  Seems the obvious question hasn't been asked, and Steve had kind of brushed on it reporting the Herat air strike:
Does war ever really improve peoples situation?

Kaybo

« Reply #632 on: August 30, 2008, 09:02:07 am »
I checked the library & it does not have Black Wave - does anyone know if it is at Barnes & Noble or can I only get it on-line?  Also, is it hardback or paper?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #633 on: August 30, 2008, 09:20:59 am »
Sorry, didn't mean to rush things or make the discussion end.

For some reason I just can't get into this discussion - perhaps because I read the book late  ???

Anyway, just wanted to confirm you are going with Black Wave so I can sit out until the next book comes along.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #634 on: August 30, 2008, 11:23:02 am »
I thought I read somewhere that the next book was Black Wave, which I finished a couple of days ago.  I found it on Amazon, and could only find it as a hardback, but didn't spend a lot of time looking.

Interestinglyl enough, there is an excerpt from The Black Wave in this week's "The Week", a newsmagazine that Willie and I get.

Julie, you raised such a good question.  Does war ever really solve anything?  it surely hasn't in Afghanistan if current news reports can be relied upon.  Why is it so very hard, if not impossible, for some people to respect, or at least accept,  the differences in others?  What a concept...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #635 on: August 30, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
Yes, Debbi, one wonders if mankind will ever find peace with itself.  I was hesitant to read Suns because I knew it would be about war and horrible prejudice, and that kind of novel (especially if it's well written!) just stays with me for months.  But, ironically, I'd lent Black Wave to a friend, and when she returned it, she lent me Suns!  So... I thought that was a sign!  I thought Suns was very well written and compelling.  I really learned alot about Afghanistan - makes one take those news reports that Steve mentioned alot more personally.  I'm so glad it had some kind of happiness at the end, and I'm proud to say I was able to read it but haven't been haunted by it since.  That may sound weird, but it's a big accomplishment for me.  I love learning about different cultures, and I appreciate having a better understanding of the political phases Afghanistan has been through and to learn how life goes on (or not) during them.  But, as Debbi points out, the main issue is why we can't get along.  I personally joke that we on Earth will only get along when the Martians attack..!
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #636 on: August 31, 2008, 07:19:56 am »

Julie, you raised such a good question.  Does war ever really solve anything?  it surely hasn't in Afghanistan if current news reports can be relied upon.  Why is it so very hard, if not impossible, for some people to respect, or at least accept,  the differences in others?  What a concept...

Debbi

For some reason this made me think of  a Pop Quiz my 5th grader brought in... one question and 5 minutes to answer
and hand paper to front...

Question or rather request was  ... Summarize the Revolutionary War ...

my daughters answer ...

It was war. It was bloody . People died . Too many .Wars are senseless and solve little.

So according to one fifth grader in Tennessee wars do not solve much .... she got 100 and a note to write in complete
sentences ... I kinda liked her no frills to the point answer ... she does not do well on surprise assignments like pop quizzes and
gets written version of tongue tied

This will sound odd but I think that wars solve less now than they did say in Revolutionary War time or Civil War or other
older wars... not a complete thought  as I am having an incomplete thought day myself  :)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #637 on: August 31, 2008, 10:01:18 am »
Yes, Debbi, one wonders if mankind will ever find peace with itself.  That may sound weird, but it's a big accomplishment for me.  I love learning about different cultures, and I appreciate having a better understanding of the political phases Afghanistan has been through and to learn how life goes on (or not) during them.  Dana

Dana,
That doesn't sound weird at all..Some books hit deep nerves.

FYI...The Smithsonian has a display on Afghanistan. This summer I had the opportunity to attend a workshop hosted by National Geographic and a Reading Group out of Michigan.  One of the evening speakers was the archeologist who catalouged the Afghan treasures thought to be lost decades ago.  It was fascinating. 

http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/afghanistaninfo.shtm

BTW, did everyone else know beside me that the Smithsonian is a collection of museums in different buidlings across several blocks?  I thought it was one large building...Oops.

Kate
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:18:38 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #638 on: August 31, 2008, 10:16:33 am »
From pages 247-249

I found this part tragically ironic.  The citizenry thought that once the Russians left Afghanistan that life would be easier...Only to get the laws passed down from the Taliban that put such restrictions on women.  I think when we react to this (as we all have) it is the lack of choice that is hard to put our hands around. 
Think of the important roles women have taken on in just the past few months. Laila of course was raised to be an independent thinker and questioned it.  It was also interesting then at the end of the book that Laila chose to return to Kabul and teach.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #639 on: August 31, 2008, 09:54:36 pm »
What I went through although on a smaller scale was horrible and the lack of choices I had was
what almost got me... I was emotionally beat down as the Afghan women are ...

And yes I knew the Smithsonian was in multiple buildings ... my dad was stationed at For Meade Maryland in
1972-1973 and we went several times ...

the best trip was when my 6th grade teacher took us and turned
us loose with orders to be back in front of the Natural History building at 2:00  :o ... we all turned up but
he was brave and or stupid to let us roam ... a few of us chicken wondered a little bit then found and
stayed close to him
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #640 on: September 01, 2008, 07:56:56 am »
I thought I read somewhere that the next book was Black Wave, which I finished a couple of days ago.  I found it on Amazon, and could only find it as a hardback, but didn't spend a lot of time looking.

Interestinglyl enough, there is an excerpt from The Black Wave in this week's "The Week", a newsmagazine that Willie and I get.

Debbi

Debbi,

What should be the "Read by date"? 

Is there a link to the excerpt on line?

Also can we try something new like discussing during the reading...It seems like it would make for lively discussion and cause people to think about others points of view. At the end and after waiting to discuss, the reader loses the conversation bug...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:58:27 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Kaybo

« Reply #641 on: September 01, 2008, 08:29:07 am »
Kate~
I am going to sit this one out because the library system  here does not have it and I don't need to spend the money right now, BUT I would be all for having a discussion as we read in the future!!  I do think there is something lost at the end...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #642 on: September 01, 2008, 10:17:37 am »
I'm sitting this one out, too, but I agree discussion at the end seems to be slow.

I'm anxious to see how the discussion while reading works out.

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #643 on: September 01, 2008, 02:43:23 pm »
With Jan and Kaybo sitting this one out, we need to pass the baton for BookDiscussion Queen or King...(My turn was earlier)  Any takers?  The "job" requires the person to set the date and begin with the first question....

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #644 on: September 02, 2008, 11:09:09 pm »
Since I suggested Black Wave and if that's the next book, I'll offer to be "Queen" (oh, my....!). 

Why don't we start talking about it next Wednesday, Sept 10th?  I think it'd be fine to talk about it as we read it.  A week should give me enough time to come up with an opening question !!!

:-) Dana

1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.